Battery backup for cintering oven

3DCAM

3DCAM

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for battery backup for my citering oven even if it can hold for few minuets that's fine so if anyone using one just send me the name please. thank you

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
youd need an uninterruptible type that can push some power out. let us know if you find something!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
You need Zero.
He’d get a battery from an old Soviet sub and some parts from Radio Shack and be able to run his lab for a week. Probably spend like $37.50.
6F3045E2-6F40-4179-85F1-9FCB0B3A60E0.jpeg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for battery backup for my citering oven even if it can hold for few minuets that's fine so if anyone using one just send me the name please. thank you
120v at 20 amps = 2400 watts
2400 watts is the output load, but you never want to run anything at full output. For example, you'd think someone a fool for keeping their car at redline RPMs.

So a 30% overage is wise.

2400 x 1.3 gives you 130% of your absolute need. That's 3120 watts.

Lets call it 3200 watts.

For 10 minutes, you're not gonna find something that small. about 30 minutes is the smallest. And your still paying around 8k before the electrician.

Most outages if they are gonna be fixed 'soon' are under 1 hour, otherwise you're looking at bigger problems, like a hurricane or ice storm.

Here's 1 hour of backup for around $10,000 and that's before the electrician hooks it up. 30 more minutes if you're already paying that much? an extra 2k is worth doubling your uptime.

If you're running 240? I hope you have a big wallet, cause it's gonna be a very special unit.
Edit: home, office, small business stuff tops out at around 1200 watts. So you'd be needing 3 of them plugged into each other ( a bad idea) and still be at around 8-10K USD

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I haven't looked into this idea yet, I think you'd need a 50A transfer switch plus an inverter rated for 4-5 kw and a few golf cart batteries to run your furnace till your backup genny could kick in. Cheaper than power wall...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked into this idea yet, I think you'd need a 50A transfer switch plus an inverter rated for 4-5 kw and a few golf cart batteries to run your furnace till your backup genny could kick in. Cheaper than power wall...
But, wires! Bugkiller sounds come from wires!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Been kicking around a similar idea. Just need enough power to keep the software on the oven from shutting down and stopping the cycle while the auto start generator comes online and picks up the load. Like to hear your ideas on this since you may know a thing or two about the science of the flow of electrons.
We have a lot of afternoon and evening thunderstorms that cause quick power outages. I'd hate to loose an oven full of sintering units for a few second power outage.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We don't have many outages up here, apart from hi voltage power lines everything is underground. The last outage we had was like 4-5 years ago IIRC and it was on a weekend...we did not loose any work, but I had to scramble to hook up my small 2kw camping genny to run my home. If you have natural gas or propane at your location, I'd look into one of these. It's much quieter than a gas or diesel job and is not as messy, at least you don't have to worry about fuel refills.

As for having the software run for a few minutes would require to hack your oven, this can be as simple as putting in an ultracapacitor or may require some serious modifications. Manufacturers should design their stuff to be able to handle a few minute of outage without a hiccup and to recover...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Tesla Power Wall?

I highly doubt that a regular UPSs, even a big one, will give you enough juice, even for a few minutes.

Not an expert, though...
not sure about the power wall, but thats a solid idea. i didnt think they make much of anything big enough for general consumers to be able to use. standard UPSs arent enough, youre right

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
How about a backup generator that runs on propane, it can kicks on in seconds if power interrupted?,if nobody suggested that already

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Been kicking around a similar idea. Just need enough power to keep the software on the oven from shutting down and stopping the cycle while the auto start generator comes online and picks up the load. Like to hear your ideas on this since you may know a thing or two about the science of the flow of electrons.
We have a lot of afternoon and evening thunderstorms that cause quick power outages. I'd hate to loose an oven full of sintering units for a few second power outage.
I used to switch to my Honda Inverter generator in potential T-stormy days, ran lab from it and after T- storms past switched back. That was before sintering was even here but a lot of peace of mind with a large case in my porcelain funace. Idea 🙂

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
How about a backup generator that runs on propane, it can kicks on in seconds if power interrupted?,if nobody suggested that already
They are looking for something that will bridge those seconds so the program isn’t interrupted.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I used to switch to my Honda Inverter generator in potential T-stormy days, ran lab from it and after T- storms past switched back. That was before sintering was even here but a lot of peace of mind with a large case in my porcelain funace. Idea 🙂
My lab is 20 miles from my house and thunderstorms pop up intermittently at random. I am thinking of something that works like a battery back up and reacts in milliseconds to run off battery power for a few seconds/minutes while the generator/inverter fires up and comes on line. We are running two furnaces and possible a third soon. During these storms It is not unusual for the power to be interrupted for for a few seconds at a time and come back on and go off again. Banghead Just looking for something automatic so I don't have to watch the weather and take a guess.Cheers

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I often wondered about this too...I have a standby generac 23kw system for the lab when the power goes out. However, it only kicks in after 10 secs of power outage and automatically switches over when power comes back on. So let me know if you find one, I only need it to last for ten seconds!!!

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
They are looking for something that will bridge those seconds so the program isn’t interrupted.
I think Many sintering furnaces now a days will resume program after short interruption