average CAD CAM technician production

A

Avillon007

Reaction score
We have an CAD CAM tech who scans designs mill and color Zr, his avarge is 7-10 units and some days 18-21 he uses 3shape & i find his work quality very good to excellent. i love that guy and wont push him to produce more, what do you think of his numbers?
TIA

A

adl

Reaction score
We have an CAD CAM tech who scans designs mill and color Zr, his avarge is 7-10 units and some days 18-21 he uses 3shape & i find his work quality very good to excellent. i love that guy and wont push him to produce more, what do you think of his numbers?
TIA
Keep him

user name

user name

Reaction score
Talk to him about his production numbers. Let him know youre happy with his quality, and break down his pay on a per unit basis. Let him know if he wants to earn more, he has to earn you more.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Give him a 10% raise for being so fcken awesome.
Most of these 3 Shape gods only post screen shots of their cad designs. I've yet to see if they know where the business end of the brush is.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
What scanner, this can make or break unit count, D700 is slow no a days E3 D1000 much faster, exo or 3shape? 18-21 and you like his output i would say keeper, specially today were it is hard to find good quality work. And if he knows and understand cad/cam. Now stand alone designer output is low should be much higher. But to scan, design mill and color. Keeper, now just a second one to help out coloring and possible scanning and increase your output.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
What kind of a question is this? If you’re happy...what is it you’re asking? If you’re trying to get a critique of his productivity, first of all we would need to know what you pay this technician, what you charge for a unit, what kind of units, how much experience etc and a better average than “7 to 10 some days and 18 to 21 other days” you do realize those numbers are double one day to the next right? If they are that inconsistent is there an explanation? When you say “color” you mean dip greenstate? Paint greenstate? Glaze?

If I were a 1 man lab I would expect to do 8-10 units in an 8-10 hour day on average.

If I were doing only the cad-cam portions I would expect to do 25-30 a day. But I also have about 40 years experience as a tech and 10 in digital so that’s probably not going to be everyone. On the other hand I have people who are faster than I am working for me....

More info and clarity on what you are trying to learn will get you better answers

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
Talk to him about his production numbers. Let him know youre happy with his quality, and break down his pay on a per unit basis. Let him know if he wants to earn more, he has to earn you more.

And then he quits.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I also believe he's doing well, with 40 yrs and 8 digital I can scan design 7 per hr. but to mill and color i have to come back as I like to mill 1/2 - full puck at a time. I recently hired a tech with no full cntr experience, but some CAM/mil exp., and I would b overjoyed with those numbers. My 2 cents.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I also believe he's doing well, with 40 yrs and 8 digital I can scan design 7 per hr. but to mill and color i have to come back as I like to mill 1/2 - full puck at a time. I recently hired a tech with no full cntr experience, but some CAM/mil exp., and I would b overjoyed with those numbers. My 2 cents.
Uhm it’s unclear if the OP is describing the techs output in terms of hour, days, weeks lol

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
And then he quits.
Why would an employee quit if you have an open conversation about the value of their work?

We do that every week, and it’s a good conversation which they are grateful for. I want my people to know where they stand, what they do well and what they can improve upon. They deserve to know the truth about their performance good bad or ugly. How else can they grow and improve if they don’t know what to work on?

I would want a boss who was always honest with me about my performance...
If someone were to quit because of that I would be glad because if they can’t handle open conversations about their work I wonuld have to fire them anyway.

P

Prisoner 327

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm doing the same with an average 120-150 units per month, the design/milling/colouring parts). At the same time I'm maintaining our TRIOS 3 since I have the Level 2 certificate, Zenotec Select Hybrid (with this machine you can achieve more units, thank God have we invested in it) with Cyclon/Hydro. IMHO I would keep the guy, especially because you are satified with his work! Nowadays it's not an easy thing to find an all-round CAD/CAM technician. ;)

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
Why would an employee quit if you have an open conversation about the value of their work?

If someone were to quit because of that I would be glad because if they can’t handle open conversations about their work I wonuld have to fire them anyway.

Exactly

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm doing the same with an average 120-150 units per month, the design/milling/colouring parts). At the same time I'm maintaining our TRIOS 3 since I have the Level 2 certificate, Zenotec Select Hybrid (with this machine you can achieve more units, thank God have we invested in it) with Cyclon/Hydro. IMHO I would keep the guy, especially because you are satified with his work! Nowadays it's not an easy thing to find an all-round CAD/CAM technician. ;)
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
What scanner, this can make or break unit count, D700 is slow no a days E3 D1000 much faster, exo or 3shape? 18-21 and you like his output i would say keeper, specially today were it is hard to find good quality work. And if he knows and understand cad/cam. Now stand alone designer output is low should be much higher. But to scan, design mill and color. Keeper, now just a second one to help out coloring and possible scanning and increase your output.
im using a D700 and can still kick out 15 or so a day. plus all the other things i have to do lol

Tradewindj

Tradewindj

Reaction score
As an example, I have two 3shape designers who scan, design and mill (no coloring) average 20-30 units a day of zirconia, wax and pmma depending on posterior or anterior/bridges. They have over five years experience out of dental lab school. They love what they do and the quality of the work is good and consistent with the occasional over contoured posterior unit. Our geographic area pays about $18 and hour. The CAD techs have the opportunity to work/learn and transfer to other departments if they desire.
I also have another CAD tech stuck at $15 hourly rate and will not change. He has maxed out his ability and has no interest to advance. Our size laboratory needs both types but I prefer to have employees who are serious but excited about the future of this industry and their part in it. If you have an employee who is a good fit in attitude, work ethic, work quality and output, treat them like gold..

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
As an example, I have two 3shape designers who scan, design and mill (no coloring) average 20-30 units a day of zirconia, wax and pmma depending on posterior or anterior/bridges. They have over five years experience out of dental lab school. They love what they do and the quality of the work is good and consistent with the occasional over contoured posterior unit. Our geographic area pays about $18 and hour. The CAD techs have the opportunity to work/learn and transfer to other departments if they desire.
I also have another CAD tech stuck at $15 hourly rate and will not change. He has maxed out his ability and has no interest to advance. Our size laboratory needs both types but I prefer to have employees who are serious but excited about the future of this industry and their part in it. If you have an employee who is a good fit in attitude, work ethic, work quality and output, treat them like gold..

Tradewindj where are you located? Which state (if you dont mind my asking)?