Automatic disk changer

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the market for my first mill. One man lab, about 60 units per month scanning and designing myself, and outsourcing to mill. (Planning for larger volume after getting the mill)
If I use pre-shaded Zr and wax disks for emax to press, is an automatic disk changer worth the cost?
Thanks in advance!

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
My opinion, and only my opinion:

If you are planning on growth, get a mill with an automatic material changer. This way you can set the mill up to run at night (while you go home) and it can change between different shades of Zirconia, PMMA, Wax, Glass Ceramics (on its own) and all you have to do is unload it in the morning.

If you buy a single disc mill, you have limited milling capabilities at night, and during the day you are constantly being called back to the mill to "feed" it another disc.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Patrick, I just wanted to know if this convenience is worth the extra 10k for me before I commit.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I work by my lonesome. I don't have a disc changer. I do about a 100 milled crowns a month. For me its, design a single shade. Mill that as I design crowns in the next shade. I don't find it a hindrance. I sinter ar night.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I work by my lonesome. I don't have a disc changer. I do about a 100 milled crowns a month. For me its, design a single shade. Mill that as I design crowns in the next shade. I don't find it a hindrance. I sinter ar night.
I see there are ways to make no disk changer a non issue. I guess once I start milling on my own I will learn how to be officiant.
Thank you sndmn2!

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I think that if it works as advertised then it could really be helpful with the workflow. Especially at night but if a tool breaks or it doesn't load properly you are no farther ahead.

Or it could just be another thing you have to worry about not working properly.

I don't know if it's worth 10k to get a changer.
Is it convenient. Hell yeah.

But a seperate used mill would make you way more efficient. And might not cost you that much more then a changer would.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
its only useful if you are doing a ton of similar materials, like dry processing. mixing dry and wet processing, no. its not useful.

if you have the work to do 10 ti bars per day, get a changer.

if you intend to do mass zirconia production, get a changer.

if you intend to do both, spend the money and get better machines for isolating this instead of risking downtime and using a single machine.

so above a certain volume, no, not worth it, more worth it to hire someone and do it in the day and control manufacturing.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you guys, not having my own mill I don't realize the particulars that go with milling . Your thoughts and experience give me some perspective on the changer.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I'm in your situation too , single man lab ,I do a few more units . I would never have the changer ( other than it really is a cool toy to own :) ) . I like to mill during the day , any problems then i'm right there to sort them out . Unless you were producing so many units that the mill couldn't handle them all during the day ,why bother ? (it's just something else to go wrong ,ha ha )

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I get the picture.
Some times it does feel like I am producing sooo many units that a day isn't enough, but I am not. :) I am just slow!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'd get the changer if you can swing it financially...you will thank me in the future :)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
8 hours 3-4 per hour worst case 24 make this two years than you have the extra money for double trouble

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The mill has to come with its own changer, yes?
You cannot just tack on a changer later?
Probably a stupid question:)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
yes no chance to add later and not only the changer you although need zero spans for all used disks or you get crazy each a few hundred bucks so better buy a second mill

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
What is a zero span?
I AM learning!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys, not having my own mill I don't realize the particulars that go with milling . Your thoughts and experience give me some perspective on the changer.
If you're keeping discs between cases and doing 3 different types of material and shaded in each type. I'd go ahead. The changer will keep the orientations so you can use every bit of the puck, you can mill out 2 A3, 3 A2, 1 C2, and a SoCal Bleach all in one setup and go home.

But be sure you see a reasonable ROI time before you jump after you figure in the new power, air, burrs, CAM and all the other TCO puzzle pieces. It's not just a mill to buy.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Zero Span, sometimes referred to as a Zero Point holder, is a clamping device to hold the puck on the armature of the milling machine. there will be a button to pess to release the whole clamp so that you can quickly change pucks, if you have many clamps.

http://www.machinery.co.uk/machiner...designed-pneumatic-zero-point-clamping-system
So are these quick release holders generic made to fit different mills or each manufacturer makes them for their mills only

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
If you're keeping discs between cases and doing 3 different types of material and shaded in each type. I'd go ahead. The changer will keep the orientations so you can use every bit of the puck, you can mill out 2 A3, 3 A2, 1 C2, and a SoCal Bleach all in one setup and go home.

But be sure you see a reasonable ROI time before you jump after you figure in the new power, air, burrs, CAM and all the other TCO puzzle pieces. It's not just a mill to buy.
Without a changer, if the puck is half way used and taken out of the mill it cannot be used again?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
IMG_20180411_143728.jpg

maybe this helps illustrate. these are the holders for the pucks for a 350i from imes

these click into the socket in the arm on the mill, then the "quick change" can grip the two round clips and push it in / pull it out and swap discs around as necessary.

its not bespoke at all, the clamping is from AMF, for the 650 its a different clamping system but again an industrial brand name.