Auriloy

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Hi to all4

I like to ask you about Auriloy metal.

DENTAL ALLOYS - AURIUM RESEARCH U.S.A.

Have you ever try it?What is your opinon about it?Tell me everything i'm curoiuos,becuase today i recived a test package,the price is good,i'm wondering perhaps i will change my "old" metal to this....

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Never used it, but seems like every other "run of the mill" Nickel based non-precious alloy. Looks like they have it with & without Beryllium - depending on what you want to use. The stuff without the Beryllium will be "car bumper" and the other with Beryllium will cast & metal finish easier. Beryllium has been pinpointed as a ingredient that can cause health issues if not processed properly.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Never used it, but seems like every other "run of the mill" Nickel based non-precious alloy. Looks like they have it with & without Beryllium - depending on what you want to use. The stuff without the Beryllium will be "car bumper" and the other with Beryllium will cast & metal finish easier. Beryllium has been pinpointed as a ingredient that can cause health issues if not processed properly.

Sixpack, I thought the problem with beryllium is only with the fumes during casting? Is that correct?

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new Dr. that wants np metal. I have never done a np coping before and have no idea on what metals are available. I have a packet of pisces plus from ivoclar I bought a few years ago and never used it. I guess I will try it today. It sounds like polishing is a problem with this metal. Aside from the health hazords.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
Sixpack, I thought the problem with beryllium is only with the fumes during casting? Is that correct?

Your on the right track Al. Beryllium exposure is linked to BERYLLIOSIS an incurable, chronic, allergic-type lung disease caused by exposure to the compound Beryllium. I don't want to alarm anybody. Beryllium alloys have been around for years, you can still purchase Rexillium III which has it. Years back a couple folks contracted BERYLLIOSIS from improper processing in the lab and OSHA got involved and tagged it hazardous. In response to the OSHA deal, most manufacturers elminated Beryllium from their NP selections. Beryllium made NP alloy more user friendly - it "pooled" when melted and metal finished much easier. All of this can be rectified by wearing an OSHA approved mask when casting and metal finishing (if your still using Beryllium containing NP).

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I have a new Dr. that wants np metal. I have never done a np coping before and have no idea on what metals are available. I have a packet of pisces plus from ivoclar I bought a few years ago and never used it. I guess I will try it today. It sounds like polishing is a problem with this metal. Aside from the health hazords.

Travis, NP alloys are tough to process for the most part - especially when you have been using semi-precious and precious alloys in the lab. The Pieces Plus is a Nickel based alloy (without Beryllium). NP alloys without Beryllium will not pool when casted and it will metal finish harder than anything you have used before. That is just the nature of NP metal. You need a HOT, oxygen-rich flame, turning the alloy a bright yellow. The ingot will kinda slump or round off when they are ready to cast. Polishing is not a problem because it is a hard alloy. It will however get very hot!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
With the economy Im getting more requests for NP.
Ive used rex 111 for many yrs with no problem.
Like Sixpack of Corona said, you need an hotter flame or youll have short margins and give it one half extra turn. I use 4 1/2 and make sure you have a large button. It is a light metal and needs that extra umph to get it all in for a complete casting.
It dosnt melt it slumps but wait to sling it till it first gets white.
Never reuse your button. Always use 100% new metal. Throw your buttons away.
If you make a hole dont waste your time soldering it recast. If you have a bridge that rocks youll get much better results if you cast to instead of soldering. Its easy and as quick (working time) as soldering and stronger and more dependable then trying to solder NP (at least for me). That technique Ive used forever with bridges still in the mouth 20 yrs later. But I know guys that do solder NP but ive seen plenty break at the solder joint and get bubbling.

Polishing a fmc cast in NP isnt any problem as long as you go over the surface first with a green stone then rubber wheel it. It shines up as nicely as white gold. Green stone, rubber wheel, run through your anatomy with a highspeed then clip onto the crn with hemostats and brush with that green compound from cromolite using a robinson brush and it will polish slicker-n-snot.
You dont have to hit every nook and cranny on the occlusal surface with the rubber wheel just with the high speed or stone because the compound will polish it up.
Also clip on to the crn with hemostats to rubber it. I do that for gold crns also, I havnt burned my finger tips since.

The one negative is the margins will not burnish so they must be perfict in your casting.
You will also need to use more special liquid in your investment because you dont get as much expansion as with N or HN alloys.

Theres millions of NP partials in peoples mouths with no problems.
Most of the trash talk for using NP for C & B comes from suppliers. They dont make money selling an OZ of NP for $10 like they do and selling an OZ of HN for $700+.

Last edited:
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. My only concern will be the heat my flame can produce. I have natural gas instead of propane so I might have a problem with getting a hot flame. I dont think I have the pressure that is needed.

What do you mean until it gets white? Is that how hot it needs to be? It will glow white?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Most of the trash talk for using NP for C & B comes from suppliers. They dont make money selling an OZ of NP for $10 like they do and selling an OZ of HN for $700+.

Not necessarily, I've trashed talked it on here from day one.....i.e. car bumper metal. Then I got thinking, what if I was like Travis and had an account that just demanded to use NP, would I personally begin using NP? So far, I've turned down every account that has requested it (only a total of 3 accounts that wanted it)....one account still won't use me because I called it "trash metal". I say "oh well", I believe in quality, and the lowest you can go on my ladder of quality is noble metal. Now I understand some of you disagree totally, or may have differing opinions, but it was my little niche to myself when I started my lab and it seems to work for me......

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. My only concern will be the heat my flame can produce. I have natural gas instead of propane so I might have a problem with getting a hot flame. I dont think I have the pressure that is needed.

What do you mean until it gets white? Is that how hot it needs to be? It will glow white?
Ok I just cast 3 rings of NP and payed close attention. Rex 111 dosnt glow white but you can tell it gets brite. What I use to tell when it is ready is when the ingot slumps completly and flatten out and the edges of the ingots connect. NP keeps a skin on it that dosent allow the ingots to puddle together. That skin will be left in your crucible. Slag. It should come off easly and clean but if it is stuck to your crucible and you have to scrape it off you overheated your metal.

Just use your propane tank from your gas grill. Its easy enough to hook up to your torch.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Not necessarily, I've trashed talked it on here from day one.....i.e. car bumper metal. Then I got thinking, what if I was like Travis and had an account that just demanded to use NP, would I personally begin using NP? So far, I've turned down every account that has requested it (only a total of 3 accounts that wanted it)....one account still won't use me because I called it "trash metal". I say "oh well", I believe in quality, and the lowest you can go on my ladder of quality is noble metal. Now I understand some of you disagree totally, or may have differing opinions, but it was my little niche to myself when I started my lab and it seems to work for me......
Just wait till your metal bill starts hitting 4 to 5 grand a month and you need to order just one more oz to get your last weeks work done and you try to hold out till the end of the billing cycle and start combining buttons to get all your castings done.

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
I dunno, i happen to believe in individual rights. If a doctor explains to a patient the difference in metals and the patient wants to pay less, so be it, i'll make it. I do make sure the patient knows the differences, and have 2 accounts that use it regularly. i know for a fact they explain the options to the patient. If a human being wants it and it's legal, then why not make it. I'm not going to have a holier than thou attitude and be like i'm not using this metal. i am providing a service and if it makes a client satisfied i see no wrong in it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
If a doctor explains to a patient the difference in metals and the patient wants to pay less, so be it, i'll make it.

I can just imagine the doctor/patient conversation........for ten bucks more I won't put something in your mouth that will turn your tissue black, take an hour to get out of your mouth later on in life, and will create much more chairside time for me because the stuff is harder than a male teenager on prom night.

and Al, if I get that broke, then I don't deserve to be in business.....besides, don't you bill separately for alloy (I do)? I'll combine buttons (if the same metal),I don't see a problem with that. If it's HN Gold I shouldn't have any buttons if I casted (specific density x grams) it correctly anyways.

Listen, I just don't see the big whoopla about it, for ten dollars more I don't have to think I'm giving anything sub par to any patient....I could give a rats behind what the doctor wants, it's about the patients....and in my community I don't want to stare at people with black tissue surrounding a beautiful crown that I made.........okay enough about that, how about those bears?

Last edited:
L

labdude

Reaction score
....I could give a rats behind what the doctor wants, it's about the patients....

Right on Rob, nicely put.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Everybody knows that bears taste like chicken.

Have you ever ate bear? I've had the unfortunate pleasure to be danger close to some of them, it's the worse smell ever, I'm not sure i'd want to eat it.

magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
i hear that, but i guess i'm desensitized to a certain extent working in ny i hear the most rancid rumors. i say rumors but i'm pretty sure they are true. "drs" using paper clips instead of posts, it's insane.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
i hear that, but i guess i'm desensitized to a certain extent working in ny i hear the most rancid rumors. i say rumors but i'm pretty sure they are true. "drs" using paper clips instead of posts, it's insane.

I hear you.....I'm a wood tick, therefore my community is small and I'm able to control that aspect. Like I said, it's not for everyone, it's just a niche and something I made a stance for. I don't consider it a big deal, remember, 10 bucks......that's all. Do I think any different about any of you using non-precious, nope not at all. I think Al does beautiful work, it doesn't change what I think of him one iota just because he's got a couple clients using non-precious...once again, it's not a big deal....can we get back to those bears?

B

bdg

Reaction score
can we get back to those bears?
A marinade of soy sauce and ginger
Slow cooked in a crockpot
served over rice w/ a touch of brown gravy
Some baby carrots and pearl onions on the side
Nuthin like chicken!!!!

Top Bottom