August 1st Meet & Greet

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I was hoping for a better turn out but it was great none the less.
Thanks to sndmn (always a pleasure) and Rob and his great crew for come out- really cool and knowledgeable group for sure.
We are going to exercise a "do-over" this morning on the i500 demonstration. The first one was dismal at best, a clear learning exercise.
If there is any interest in partnering up as Rob mentioned, shoot me a PM to discuss.
...and yes, thanks to Charles for the content suggestions and CHL for the shout out, most gratefully appreciated.
Hey sndmn, I'm thinking we should try another sooner, maybe in October if there is any interest.
Man I love this place...
Steve

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
First off...Axsys, Steve and his crew are friggin awesome. Seeing all those machines in one place, under one roof gave me a dental tech' chubby. I even did something crazy, rkm and Luke, this is your guys fault. I bought the i-500...the intra-oral scanner. My reasoning is probably what many of us are struggling with right now. We are digitally setup, we have been doing digital for the last ten years, our Docs though are ten years behind us. So here I go to Axsys, saying to myself, I want to buy the desktop T-500 (which is friggin awesome btw) but it doesnt solve my current problem...Docs that need to go digital and me sitting there in my lab waiting on them. Fk it...I'll buy the i-500 and get these Docs to call me when they are doing their next crown prep and actually do it. Then after they see how accurate, how quick, and simple it is...they will get one. Naturally, point them in Axsys direction to buy it and get a nice finders kick back. This is how these intra-oral scanners should of been rolled out from a selling point in my opinion in the first place. Let the labs market it, they are the end user with what information is being collected. Can't wait to get out there chairside and get my docs all going digital...thank you so much Axsys for being such great hosts. Lastly...if you mill zirconium...you might want call them for a preshaded multilayer zirconium disk (1100MPa)...just sayin'
i got caught up and the few times i looked for the live feed there was nothing, dammit!
how did you like the T500 and i500? (besides the fact that you went home with one lol). really loving the i500 from what i have seen and have a few ppl interested in them!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I was hoping for a better turn out but it was great none the less.
Thanks to sndmn (always a pleasure) and Rob and his great crew for come out- really cool and knowledgeable group for sure.
We are going to exercise a "do-over" this morning on the i500 demonstration. The first one was dismal at best, a clear learning exercise.
If there is any interest in partnering up as Rob mentioned, shoot me a PM to discuss.
...and yes, thanks to Charles for the content suggestions and CHL for the shout out, most gratefully appreciated.
Hey sndmn, I'm thinking we should try another sooner, maybe in October if there is any interest.
Man I love this place...
Steve
steve, if i shoot you my cell number will you text me if you do the i500 demo again? really wish i could have been there, but theres so much up in the air over here i just cant walk away for 5 mins!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
i got caught up and the few times i looked for the live feed there was nothing, dammit!
how did you like the T500 and i500? (besides the fact that you went home with one lol). really loving the i500 from what i have seen and have a few ppl interested in them!
The i500 is sweet...and I explained above why we pulled the trigger on it.
As for the T500...this is what I really wanted, holy shltballs batman is it quick!!! 12 secs, and that's no lie. Also, it did scan impressions, it scanned them awesome. Now before you think you can completely delete your model room (because I'm a mind reader),I would seriously look at cost of printing these models. I really think big labs are already doing this, or are very close to a complete digital transition. However, for smaller labs...for costs, you need to closely see what would work best. You might find that pouring a solid model, and making the crown digital (not using the printer to do the models) might be an option. Or, maybe printing just quadrants, pouring the rest. However, tons of options, tons of ways but always remember you run a business. Mark Jackson use to always say, 'remove your lab coat when you make laboratory business decisions'...hence why we didn't get the T500 and went with the i500.

Also, a shout out to Luke and RKM, these two guys came up with this type of business strategy years ago, and implemented in Canada using the Trios. Where the lab (the end user that has to use this information) buys the I/O scanner, and goes out to the Docs and scan some actual clients cases and get the Docs to buy an actual scanner for their office.

Lastly, If you're using Zirlux Zirconium, for anything holy...Call Axsys (248) 926-8810, Ask for Suzanne, get your zirconium pucks from them. Uncle Hank doesn't give a shlt about you (look at what they did to CAP),Axsys looks out for the little guys like us!!!

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
As for the T500...this is what I really wanted, holy shltballs batman is it quick!!! 12 secs, and that's no lie. Also, it did scan impressions, it scanned them awesome. Now before you think you can completely delete your model room (because I'm a mind reader),I would seriously look at cost of printing these models. I really think big labs are already doing this, or are very close to a complete digital transition. However, for smaller labs...for costs, you need to closely see what would work best. You might find that pouring a solid model, and making the crown digital (not using the printer to do the models) might be an option. Or, maybe printing just quadrants, pouring the rest. However, tons of options, tons of ways but always remember you run a business. Mark Jackson use to always say, 'remove your lab coat when you make laboratory business decisions'...hence why we didn't get the T500 and went with the i500.
i dont see the option of eliminating d/m completely yet....what i am hoping for is scanning impressions, designing the crown, sending it to mill....then pouring a quad solid model to verify contacts. once sintered. reduces d/m labor time exponentially and turn around time on the entire crown too. think its feasible?
im shooting for pairing with offices that outfit with an i500, using their digital scans to make single posteriors to start, model free...and those tricky ones that they have to PVS impress, scan impression and go digital from there with the solid check model. maybe, MAYBE getting a newer fast/accurate printer like the NextDent 5100 for printing working/opposing models while sintering. thats a maybe, i have to see the ROI numbers to make it worthwhile...but if i can print nice surgical guides and such too...well then it helps the ROI
your thoughts, Rob? since you saw them in person

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
i dont see the option of eliminating d/m completely yet....what i am hoping for is scanning impressions, designing the crown, sending it to mill....then pouring a quad solid model to verify contacts. once sintered. reduces d/m labor time exponentially and turn around time on the entire crown too. think its feasible?
im shooting for pairing with offices that outfit with an i500, using their digital scans to make single posteriors to start, model free...and those tricky ones that they have to PVS impress, scan impression and go digital from there with the solid check model. maybe, MAYBE getting a newer fast/accurate printer like the NextDent 5100 for printing working/opposing models while sintering. thats a maybe, i have to see the ROI numbers to make it worthwhile...but if i can print nice surgical guides and such too...well then it helps the ROI
your thoughts, Rob? since you saw them in person
That's exactly what I think the small labs should be shooting for!!! I remember Dr. Gordon Christenson posting the statistics of what countries have intra-oral scanners, the U.S. was less than 8%...most countries were over 35%. That's a huge market that is here and going to explode for the U.S.

Also, with the i500, it will scan tissue just fine. I think a business model for the removable side of the house would be, get a scan for a denture...print the model, make the occlusal rim or set up, during the bite or try-in, have the Doc do a pvs reline impression of the baseplate...just a thought for a removable pathway?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
… I don't think they carry Zirlux zirconia unless it was recently added. If so great. I currently use it for most single cases unless specified for a " posterior" stronger material .

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
steve, if i shoot you my cell number will you text me if you do the i500 demo again? really wish i could have been there, but theres so much up in the air over here i just cant walk away for 5 mins!

will do!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
… I don't think they carry Zirlux zirconia unless it was recently added. If so great. I currently use it for most single cases unless specified for a " posterior" stronger material .
Zirlux is just a Uncle Hank branded name...they don't make any Zirconium, just sell it.

Last edited:
brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score

You are correct Rick, we do not sell Zirlux however our AxZir is comparable in more ways than I am at liberty to relate. Give it a shot, you will not be disappointed.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Going live for the redo on the i500 at 11:20...
This time we will use our new support guy Nick (his first day is today).
Nick is green to the dental world but his foundation is solid for our ethos.
Should be interesting...

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I can't believe it- again!
I apologize for the feed inturrpution.
We were using my cell phone and the dang thing decided it wanted to do an update and halted the video...WTF!
It was truly a teaching/learning moment.
Note to self: DO NOT USE A CELL PHONE TO BROADCAST A LIVE FEED....go it.
The video(s) are saved on our Facebook page. It turns out if you watch the first one it will automatically advance and start playing part 2.
So all is good-ish.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/axsysdental/videos/

C

charles007

Reaction score
Steve I just watched your live i500 streaming and its amazing there's no learning curve, plus a great price. The i500 IOS should fly off your shelves very fast. .
Rob, buying the i500 was a brilliant idea and I know it will build your business more quickly and more profitable in a short time. We are so lucky to have Steve/Axsys Dental Solutions to be apart of DLN to guide our labs to be more profitable during this digital transition age. For those of us that knew Mark Jackson it was a pleasure to have known him.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Hey question regarding the i500 files received from the clinic. Can we rename the file to our own file names we use in the lab? Carestream you can not and it generates some weird random number that does not conform to our way naming files.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Clinics may choose to send you individual scan files if that is the working environment in which you and the clinic decide work within. In this case the clinic and yourself (the lab) would be managing files manually. The clinic would export the scan data (their choice of STL, OBJ, or STY) and likely set up a cloud storage location for which they would provide you a link or a folder of their selection. The clinic can choose the folder to export the scan data. Once selected 4 files are output: 2 mesh files in the selected format (named mandibular. xxx and maxillar.xxx),a project numbered colLabProject file and a project numbered image of the order (.png format). The clinic or lab can rename these as desired.

The i500 is best incorporated into a lab/clinic working environment utilizing the free Medit Link software which utilizes free cloud storage to store and facilitate transfer of case information between the clinic and the lab. Here the PIA management of individual files for scans or other information, case name, revision , etc. etc. is not necessary. The Medit Link software and associated GUI (Graphic User Interface),manage all that for you. Interaction on the lab side is done simply by selecting orders from an Inbox which contains and displays case specific information (restoration type, case details, due dates, clinic, status, etc.

The lab user simply selects a case from within the Inbox and move to what is call the Work Box. once in the Work Box all information about the case is available including the actual scan data. Here users can select the CAD and CAM program(s) they work with, Link them to Medit Link for automatic transfer to these programs to design, redesign and process the case. Medit Link does all the management of files, including storage, transfer, revisions, case information etc. It can even manage delivery dates, case status, tracking of shipment, facilitation of payment and more if desired.

Data transfer is very fast (surprisingly fast really) and the management of case information/data by Medit Link is like an answer to a prayer to those (like me) who are so used to managing data via email folders, file folders, file naming conventions, etc.

Of course manual file transfers of individual files can be done if desired, it would just require a lab to rename an image file, mandibular scan file and a maxillary scan filename.

IMHO, Medit Link is really the way to.

This is my understanding at this point from my admittedly minimal experience in working with the software from both the clinic and lab side. I will get with our smart guys and see if I have it right (I'm pretty sure I do) and follow up if any modifications to my response are required.

I hope this answers your question.
Steve

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Also, a shout out to Luke and RKM, these two guys came up with this type of business strategy years ago, and implemented in Canada using the Trios. Where the lab (the end user that has to use this information) buys the I/O scanner, and goes out to the Docs and scan some actual clients cases and get the Docs to buy an actual scanner for their office.

Lastly, If you're using Zirlux Zirconium, for anything holy...Call Axsys (248) 926-8810, Ask for Suzanne, get your zirconium pucks from them. Uncle Hank doesn't give a shlt about you (look at what they did to CAP),Axsys looks out for the little guys like us!!!
Thanks for the cudos. It was a risky move 5 years ago but now all my Drs have their own scanners.
It worked so well I just bought another Trios.
Rob, lets compare notes on our experience with the iOS service. I can give you some great pointers and I would really appreciate your business savy on this as well.I have some ideas that I want to share with you.
2th was also my sounding board and was generous to share his thoughts back when I tried this.He is a guru!
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to the lake for the rest of the holidays. I'm so glad Charles thinks your idea is brilliant.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the cudos. It was a risky move 5 years ago but now all my Drs have their own scanners.
It worked so well I just bought another Trios.
Rob, lets compare notes on our experience with the iOS service. I can give you some great pointers and I would really appreciate your business savy on this as well.I have some ideas that I want to share with you.
2th was also my sounding board and was generous to share his thoughts back when I tried this.He is a guru!
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to the lake for the rest of the holidays. I'm so glad Charles thinks your idea is brilliant.
I was trying to contact you before I pulled the trigger...but you informed me it was 'mankini' days in Canada and you were on holiday. However, I still want to talk to you...it's funny, one of the top technical guys (the nerds like us) at Axsys is Ben and he lives in Ottawa!!!...go figure, I can't get away from you Canadians :p

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Clinics may choose to send you individual scan files if that is the working environment in which you and the clinic decide work within. In this case the clinic and yourself (the lab) would be managing files manually. The clinic would export the scan data (their choice of STL, OBJ, or STY) and likely set up a cloud storage location for which they would provide you a link or a folder of their selection. The clinic can choose the folder to export the scan data. Once selected 4 files are output: 2 mesh files in the selected format (named mandibular. xxx and maxillar.xxx),a project numbered colLabProject file and a project numbered image of the order (.png format). The clinic or lab can rename these as desired.

The i500 is best incorporated into a lab/clinic working environment utilizing the free Medit Link software which utilizes free cloud storage to store and facilitate transfer of case information between the clinic and the lab. Here the PIA management of individual files for scans or other information, case name, revision , etc. etc. is not necessary. The Medit Link software and associated GUI (Graphic User Interface),manage all that for you. Interaction on the lab side is done simply by selecting orders from an Inbox which contains and displays case specific information (restoration type, case details, due dates, clinic, status, etc.

The lab user simply selects a case from within the Inbox and move to what is call the Work Box. once in the Work Box all information about the case is available including the actual scan data. Here users can select the CAD and CAM program(s) they work with, Link them to Medit Link for automatic transfer to these programs to design, redesign and process the case. Medit Link does all the management of files, including storage, transfer, revisions, case information etc. It can even manage delivery dates, case status, tracking of shipment, facilitation of payment and more if desired.

Data transfer is very fast (surprisingly fast really) and the management of case information/data by Medit Link is like an answer to a prayer to those (like me) who are so used to managing data via email folders, file folders, file naming conventions, etc.

Of course manual file transfers of individual files can be done if desired, it would just require a lab to rename an image file, mandibular scan file and a maxillary scan filename.

This is my understanding at this point from my admittedly minimal experience in working with the software from both the clinic and lab side. I will get with our smart guys and see if I have it right (I'm pretty sure I do) and follow up if any modifications to my response are required.

Steve

ThanksSteve

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

Steve
Steve,
ive been asked if the medit software allows for some smile design work on the clinical side of things for presentation to patients, can you shed some light here? (i think the invisalign stuff offers some of that, hence the line of questioning)

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
The Medit Link software provides for this via a direct link to the chosen CAD software(s) as configured in the provided interface. This functionality, along with the provision to take snapshots (photos),allows the transfer of the scan data and images to the chosen CAD software.

The CAD software is automatically started,and the data is passed to it (choice of STL, OBJ or STY) thereby allowing the "smile design" functionality available in that software to be utilized.

Of course this would mean additional cost to the solution and of course training to purchase and learn the CAD software and associated modules.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Steve

Top Bottom