Articulator Paper Marks on Models

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I leave them on the model if the marks don't come off after a quick wash. Anything more aggressive will modify the model which makes it useless if needed again. After all I don't sell models I sell CROWNS. The model is a throw away tool.
I would rather deliver just the crown and throw the models out or hold them for a time instead of cleaning them, packaging and delivery. But the dentists want them for a check if needed and then throw them out.
The model thing is a necessary evil but a waste of material and time which I try to minimize.
While I too appreciate cleanliness in work, if never understood the obsession with virginal spotless textbook.
It negates the reality of a working model. Hell, I get trials back where dr obviously checked the contacts on the articulator.
So who are we really fooling?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have a belle de st claire steamer, It needs a new cap for $130, so it sits unused.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
how many of your clients look at the models? about 95% of the time mine are never unwrapped or taken out of the box.

Good question, we are talking about Removbles here, so when we're doing a set-up with teeth, they see the models as they remove the wax try-in. How much does it matter if there are articulator marks on it, don't know. I'll look into the steamer and go from there.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
I leave them on the model if the marks don't come off after a quick wash. Anything more aggressive will modify the model which makes it useless if needed again. After all I don't sell models I sell CROWNS. The model is a throw away tool.
I would rather deliver just the crown and throw the models out or hold them for a time instead of cleaning them, packaging and delivery. But the dentists want them for a check if needed and then throw them out.
The model thing is a necessary evil but a waste of material and time which I try to minimize.

I'm selling Dentures in this scenario : ),so it probably makes a little bit more of a difference than on the crown and bridge side.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I have this one..20 plus years...It needs n "o" ring or 2 but still going strong...I usually only have it on for an hour a day, thats about it..I warm it up to clean models and I use it to clean the oily film off of Sil Tech when I relign with a light body material.

Attachments

• 20170622_112359.jpg
    20170622_112359.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 22
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Steamers are handy, but its a pain having to use distilled water. They also dont last incredibly long if they are on all day everyday. And be careful steaming crowns, they will either shoot away or sometimes crack if you overdo it.

Yep, on the steam them right out of your hands front. My cabinets are not totally against the wall, there is a gap across the top of the counter
that I have the smaller pipe insulation filling in that space, so a crown doesn't fly off the tweezers and go behind the cabinets.
Couldn't live without a steamer though, just to handy and covers so many bases in cleaning. I haven't used a ultrasonic for years.

Rubber tipped tweezers are great for holding crowns while steaming.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I have this one..20 plus years...It needs n "o" ring or 2 but still going strong...I usually only have it on for an hour a day, thats about it..I warm it up to clean models and I use it to clean the oily film off of Sil Tech when I relign with a light body material.

Those type seem to be a little more industrial grade. We had one of those years ago, and really don't remember having any issues with it.

I tend to like the wand type, than the fixed in one position type of steamer nozzle.

Last edited:
A

Andrew Abram

Reaction score
Isopropyl Alcohol you can get at CVS and use a paper towel does the job good. On the darker red marks aside from the contacts we just scrape it off lightly then rub the residue off

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Good question, we are talking about Removbles here, so when we're doing a set-up with teeth, they see the models as they remove the wax try-in. How much does it matter if there are articulator marks on it, don't know. I'll look into the steamer and go from there.
ok for the removable side its a bit diff. good call

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
man that's an old school-burn-your-arm-off style steamer lol.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I'm with you. I leave it on so they know I ck stuff

O

Old School Dentures

Reaction score
Are they worth the $600 or so expense? Do you use distilled water or simply tap?
I have a reliable steamer also... they are definitely worth the $600. I've had mine fore 5 years now . I had the cap break but you can order replacement part direct from reliable. I worked 15 yrs without a steamer, now I couldn't imagine not having one in the lab , I use it for everything , I even clean models after trimming instead of brushing with water... get a steamer, you won't be disappointed

Top Bottom