Articulator Issues with Shape 2021

M

Marcin K

Reaction score
Has anyone who has updated to 3shape 2021 been having issues with the articulator? When ever we try to load the articulator to run excursive or even to adjust the bite 3shape throws up an error and no options show up in the articulator settings. Was wondering if this is a know issue people are having or if this is unique in our situation?
Screenshot 2021-08-09 150704.png Screenshot 2021-08-09 150851.png

H

HampeTC

Reaction score
Hi Marcin.

The 2021 version seems so have its fair share of new bugs (hence why i havnt updated yet myself). I would suggest that you post this in the 3shape study group on Facebook. They usually knows whats what

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this, but the previous versions had a lot of articulator issues as well, they just were hard to spot. I raised some hell with 3shape support (actual 3shape, not a reseller) over them and they were supposed to be being looked into. Doesn't look like they are having success lol

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I never understood the articulator options in 3shape. You always have to adjust the opposing to collide with the preparation scan and even still you would end up with high bites.

Makes me question the accuracy. I even tried getting the jaw motion tracking but still the same problem would exist.

Not sure what the solution is.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I never understood the articulator options in 3shape. You always have to adjust the opposing to collide with the preparation scan and even still you would end up with high bites.

Makes me question the accuracy. I even tried getting the jaw motion tracking but still the same problem would exist.

Not sure what the solution is.
What do you mean by having to adjust opposing to collide with preparation scan? I've found that if you are using the articulator in a way that doesn't cause a bug (which has more to do with adjustments to the bite than running through motions) that the articulator works well to show function

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I'm talking getting high bites. I find that you need to adjust the scans. Maybe it's just because they are IO scans?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I'm talking getting high bites. I find that you need to adjust the scans. Maybe it's just because they are IO scans?
Do you mean open bites resulting in your restorations over-occluding? Maybe dialing in the parameters of you are using for your occlusion is where to look? In 3Shape an "accurate" bite will appear open a little and it is unlikely that you should be making your restorations actually occluding.

I feel like I'm either miss understanding the problem you are having, or you haven't yet figured out the process of dialing in occlusion digitally.

IO scans can be innacurate done incorrectly, but if you are experiencing issues across different IO scanners and users, it probably is on your end

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Sorry, I would say that if you design to what the scans and bite a provided you will end up with crowns that will need a lot of adjustments on the occlusal. You need to create some foil relief by colliding the scans.

I find that most accounts will not tolerate adjusting the bites. Zirconia is way to hard for that.

I believe that when a patient is scanned they are usually lying down in the chair which also causes an inaccurate bite. No one chews lying down on their back. (Unless it's Doritos on the couch)

Only really have done Trios IO scans and the odd Planscan.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Sorry, I would say that if you design to what the scans and bite a provided you will end up with crowns that will need a lot of adjustments on the occlusal. You need to create some foil relief by colliding the scans.

I find that most accounts will not tolerate adjusting the bites. Zirconia is way to hard for that.

I believe that when a patient is scanned they are usually lying down in the chair which also causes an inaccurate bite. No one chews lying down on their back. (Unless it's Doritos on the couch)

Only really have done Trios IO scans and the odd Planscan.
If you over occlude the scans to achieve this, you won't be able to use the virtual articulator. It seems that you may be thinking to much of the analog world while operating in the digital one. 3Shape has a lot of marking and cutting tools that will allow you to dial in your occlusion without overoccluding. It is a little weird to get used to because things will look "open" even though they arent. I use the "Desired distance to antagonist" tool and the "distance map" slider to quickly cut my occlusion and guide further adjustments once I have my crown close to finished. Some people may prefer other tools that accomplish a similar result.

To achieve consistant occlusion you will have to dial in what settings distances to the antagonist in the software are equal to "in occlusion" on the model for you. If you try manually adjusting bites rather than dialing in these parameters you won't achieve consistancy.

H

HampeTC

Reaction score
I agree with @npdynamite you probably shouldn't manually adjust the bites when working with IO scans. If the bites are high enough to where they dont occlude when you receive them id say its not a virtual articulator problem but a scanning problem. If your doc is using a trios scanner you could open up the case filse by highlighting the case and press F4 then go inte the "scans" folder to check if the bite scan is properly aligned with the PreparatinScan and AntagonistScan. If its a faulty bite scan i would have a talk with the doc and explain that if he/she cant get the bite right they should get use to adjusting future restorations.

if you cant find anything wrong with the bite scan or the scan itself you would probably look inte the "Desired distance to antagonist" feature and try to home in on a setting that works for your io cases.

hope this helps

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into this.
I would say that most of my clients prefer to keep the crowns out of occlusion. Foil relief is usually requested.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
These issues always have stupid solutions that you wouldn’t expect to work. Try a couple random things like switching the articulator or something and see if that helps. I haven’t found an issue in 3shape I haven’t been able to figure out a workaround yet by doing random things.