Argent HT+

L

LongIslandLab

Reaction score
Hello....first off I have to say that I learn a lot from the posters here and appreciate this forum. So a few months ago I started doing zirconia crowns at the request of an account. I am a very small lab and I took advantage of the offer from Argent to lease the scanner and computer. We mostly have zirconia copings done and my partner finishes them with PFZ porcelain. However he's starting to work less and I have been doing full zirconia crowns and sometimes I just glaze them and send them out but other times I cut back the buccals abit and add incisal and then glaze them out. Now I know you're going to say have layered full crowns done but Argent doesn't seem to offer that. What do others do? Do you cut back full crowns and add incisal or just satin and glaze? Please bear in mind that I am not a porcelain tech but I am learning little by little.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Welcome, keep learning...
Everyone does it different, so hang on to your eyelids, you're about to see all kinds of answers. As for us, we cutback the labial on all anteriors, BUT we don't cut back over the incisal edge (prevents any possible chipping). Posterior and bi's we can do cutback but normally if no anteriors are involved to match we will just make full contour. Hope that helps.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Doing the same as Rob on anteriors for years. All posteriors with buccal cutback unless fully layered is requested, and that hasn't happened as of today.
Cutbacks will prevents porcelain chipping in the future and you should advertised that technique, plus improved shades with a little micro-layering.
fyi, takes very little thickness in your cutback if the design is ok.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
If you are having a difficult time achieving the correct final shade, due to less translucency in the Argen HT, try Argen Z(if room allows). it's a little more translucent, but also less strength.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If you have 3 shape, try using the Lee Culp cutback library.

K

KIM

Reaction score
Hello....first off I have to say that I learn a lot from the posters here and appreciate this forum. So a few months ago I started doing zirconia crowns at the request of an account. I am a very small lab and I took advantage of the offer from Argent to lease the scanner and computer. We mostly have zirconia copings done and my partner finishes them with PFZ porcelain. However he's starting to work less and I have been doing full zirconia crowns and sometimes I just glaze them and send them out but other times I cut back the buccals abit and add incisal and then glaze them out. Now I know you're going to say have layered full crowns done but Argent doesn't seem to offer that. What do others do? Do you cut back full crowns and add incisal or just satin and glaze? Please bear in mind that I am not a porcelain tech but I am learning little by little.
MiYO!

D

dandyfop

Reaction score
Argen HT+ is awesome stuff! It's my standard zirconia. Done much more monolithic anteriors with it than I would have ever imagined with a 1300MPA zirconia. Cutback on it is of course nicer. But doc's these days are loathed to cut off chipped layered zirconia...

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Argen HT+ is awesome stuff! It's my standard zirconia. Done much more monolithic anteriors with it than I would have ever imagined with a 1300MPA zirconia. Cutback on it is of course nicer. But doc's these days are loathed to cut off chipped layered zirconia...

Me too. This is an Argen HT case B1. Nice job with the shade on their behalf. Fit was dead on.

upload_2018-7-27_16-57-2.jpeg upload_2018-7-27_16-49-40.jpeg

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
What do others do?
I think general consensus is that fully layered Zr crowns tend to chipping. #TheLabGuy lays out pretty well what the law of the land is, today. Although, Zirconia keeps on evolving and today we have high translucent material, with multi layer and with a strength we though would not be possible.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice work PDC

Argen HT+ is the cat's patoot.
If you can't make it look good with the current shade pastes then perhaps a change of careers would be advisable.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Switched to Argens HT+ soon after it was released and still seeing grey on A shades. If anyone is not seeing grey your color blind.
Need to change back to Kanata STML again, but patiently waiting for Argens newest zirconia hopefully released in Sept ?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Nice work PDC

Argen HT+ is the cat's patoot.
If you can't make it look good with the current shade pastes then perhaps a change of careers would be advisable.

Stains will not take out the grey in a A1 shade that I just glazed.. All of Argens zirconia's A shades are grey as well as other brands of zirconia..
Don't understand why I am the only lab on DLN bitching about seeing grey in FCZ. Hmmmm2

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Stains will not take out the grey in a A1 shade that I just glazed.. All of Argens zirconia's A shades are grey as well as other brands of zirconia..
Don't understand why I am the only lab on DLN bitching about seeing grey in FCZ. Hmmmm2

I can’t say they are all perfect and I’ve sent back some that I just couldn’t correct but this is zirconia and it’s hard to have everything spot on. I, like you, can find something wrong with almost every zirconia out there but their shades are pretty good overall. I don’t mill anything so I have to depend on their skills to make it work. I’m sure it’s a challenge for everybody to paint a piece of chalk and make it look like a real tooth shade when having to deal with so many variables ie., temperature, thickness, tech skills, etc.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Same with me, not milling inhouse. Funny thing, yet to have one complaint about shades with fcz.
Bottom line, price sells and docs seats fcz out of occlusion crowns quickly. (fcz cheaper than pfms )
Its all about the $$$$$$

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I order by value more than shade..
Mostly D2 and D3 or A1 and A3.

I'm more interested in the incisal shade. The body I can achieve with my pastes.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I order by value more than shade..
Mostly D2 and D3 or A1 and A3.

I'm more interested in the incisal shade. The body I can achieve with my pastes.

Are you using GC Lustre Paste as your wash firing to improve shades on facial cutback cases ?
My posteriors cutback/layered cases has practically disappeared as compared to last year. Practically everything under the sun is now FCZ.
Maybe I need to back off on quality to get more layered zirconia restorations........... lol

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Argens preshaded Multilayer is in beta testing now. I'm hearing good things...didn't hear the shades or strength though. Right now, I'm really liking Axsys Multilayer preshaded discs...only a handful of shades though but are working on more.

N

Noob.Scared.Confused

Reaction score
any of you guys using the argenZ HT liquid shades? are you happy with the results?
ours are coming out way too dark. We have tried both the brushing and dipping techniques.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Are you using GC Lustre Paste as your wash firing to improve shades on facial cutback cases ?
My posteriors cutback/layered cases has practically disappeared as compared to last year. Practically everything under the sun is now FCZ.
Maybe I need to back off on quality to get more layered zirconia restorations........... lol
I'll layer an anterior if need be but all my posts are stained fcz.
I switched to MIYO a few months back. I like their modifiers . I've developed a slick way of making crack lines and translucent appearing incisal edges.

For me it's a time factor and around the holiday crunch that product saved my back bacon.