Argen Printing Pains

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So I reccently have been having jobs cancelled by Argen for model printing. 9 times out of 10 when I call the techs can't really pinpoint why. As you can imagine, I'm getting behind on my work. Anyone been having problems with model printing cases being accepted? The main reason they come up with is probably an EXOCAD issue...
Also, I'd love to hear recommendations of other printing companies to use.

Thanks humans!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I know Willy, I know, go hide in the garage.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
So I reccently have been having jobs cancelled by Argen for model printing. 9 times out of 10 when I call the techs can't really pinpoint why. As you can imagine, I'm getting behind on my work. Anyone been having problems with model printing cases being accepted? The main reason they come up with is probably an EXOCAD issue...

Thanks humans!
Interesting!!! I recently had issues with Straumann, through their portal. I have 3Shape and we tried several times, rebuilding the models etc. I outsource the implant models to Straumann, since they are finicky to print and we had the best experience with them. I sent them to Whip Mix at the end...

M

mmbh

Reaction score

Thanks humans!
Me as well. A lot of them say bad file. It is not just exocad. My other programs as well are getting the same rejections. Usually I have to try to clean up the digital model as much as possible, rename it and resubmit, then it goes through.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
We've used Argen, and had a few issues, but they were able to walk us through cleaning up the files and resubmitting them.
Call Brian at Crown Towne and see if he will print your models. He has quick turn around service and great pricing. https://crowntowne.com/

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I haven't had cases cancelled by them, but I have received too many bad models. I ended up finding a different company and also printing my own models. I will say that Argen's customer support has always been decent.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I haven't had cases cancelled by them, but I have received too many bad models. I ended up finding a different company and also printing my own models. I will say that Argen's customer support has always been decent.
If you don't mind answering, who did you find that will do a decent job. Argen quality of their carbon models are extremely erratic and fit changes from model to model. In search of a someone who can print models that I can have confidence when doing rehabs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What do you mean by "bad models" ?

One thing I never really understand with the IO scans. You design it to fit the scan,
Why do you adjust it to fit a printed model?
I double check contacts and occlusion.
I print a separate die to thin out the zirconia margin.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Ok so do I, but one thing I never understood is if something needs alot of adjustments.

What's to say that you're making the right choice. If I design the contacts to be barley there and when the final crown contacts are tight. What is the correct course of action?

The old school tech in me wants to make it fit the model. But maybe I'm doing the wrong thing. But then I think about 3shape settings and why I always need to adjust the bite in order for it not to be high in the mouth. So how accurate are the scans?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Ok so do I, but one thing I never understood is if something needs alot of adjustments.

What's to say that you're making the right choice. If I design the contacts to be barley there and when the final crown contacts are tight. What is the correct course of action?

The old school tech in me wants to make it fit the model. But maybe I'm doing the wrong thing. But then I think about 3shape settings and why I always need to adjust the bite in order for it not to be high in the mouth. So how accurate are the scans?
I always find it better to leave proximal contacts to be very snug on "printed" models. Just observations of mine and feedback to confirm. IOS scans are great but they do fill in "Grey" areas through inter- polarization much like some SDLR cameras on the economical side. Full format less so. Just to be aware, your software is making an IA guess at best. Jmho.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I always find it better to leave proximal contacts to be very snug on "printed" models. Just observations of mine and feedback to confirm. IOS scans are great but they do fill in "Grey" areas through inter- polarization much like some SDLR cameras on the economical side. Full format less so. Just to be aware, your software is making an IA guess at best. Jmho.
Meant to say inter-pollating. 🙃

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
If you don't mind answering, who did you find that will do a decent job. Argen quality of their carbon models are extremely erratic and fit changes from model to model. In search of a someone who can print models that I can have confidence when doing rehabs.
I tried out Primotech, which is close to our lab. I had also picked up a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K for my own printing and found that it does just as accurate as a job as Primotech so I'll be printing my own out now.

My biggest concern with Argen were delaminated prints. I don't know what they use for printers there, but the bottom layers of the die especially were separated and the very bottom of the die rounded where they put the supports. A few times, someone had jammed the die in halfway so I had to use a small hammer to tap it out from the bottom, breaking the die in the process. It obviously didn't fit and someone there decided to wrap it up and send it anyway. As you said, the quality is erratic at best.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I thought they are using Carbon printers.
Yes, that's one of the options, the other is T. I can't remember what the "T" printed models are, but the "C" Carbon printed models seemed to come out and look better to me. Unless they've dropped the T printed models since the last time I used them?

c or t.JPG

Last edited:
Z

ztech

Reaction score
The carbon models are the ones I'm having problems with. It's a crap shoot on the die fit. One model will be really loose to the point that the die wobbles in the model and the next model with the same settings in model creator has them so tight that you have to disclose and fit if you want to use them. I haven't worked with the carbon printers personally but it seems they should be, if anything, consistent.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I use both of their model materials with no problems.
I use the model C for denture ,inlay and veneer preps and use the model T for everything else including implants.
solid models with a separate die.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I use both of their model materials with no problems.
I use the model C for denture ,inlay and veneer preps and use the model T for everything else including implants.
solid models with a separate die.
Wish I was so lucky. Full mouth with 6 max implants. #10 implant was 20 degrees off, centrals with dies were rotated each about 20 degrees. Rejected model and had them reprint. Next one ok. Next case a 5 implant cancer patient . Bridge extending from 18-27. Anterior DIM's went to place fine, posterior 2 dims wouldn't even start to go in prepped site.
Both were carbon.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Wish I was so lucky. Full mouth with 6 max implants. #10 implant was 20 degrees off, centrals with dies were rotated each about 20 degrees. Rejected model and had them reprint. Next one ok. Next case a 5 implant cancer patient . Bridge extending from 18-27. Anterior DIM's went to place fine, posterior 2 dims wouldn't even start to go in prepped site.
Both were carbon.
7 years of good luck.
I'm on a roll.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
So I wonder where the discrepancy lies between all of the experiences. Is it how we create our models to be printed? Which programs, settings, etc. I use Dental Wings Model Builder and the C models started out fine but progressively got worse. Is it where they're manufactured, who makes them, which shift? I'm truly curious.

Top Bottom