Are you being charged the new Medical Excise Tax on supplies?

S

Smilebydesign

Reaction score
I have one supplier that has been charging me this new tax. All other suppliers have not. What is going on here. Should they all be charging and they are not. Or is this one supplier taking advantage?

Curious to know...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If it has to be FDA approved it will be taxed is the easy version of how it works. It is just that not all of them will line item the tax for you to see it without pulling pre-2013 invoices and a calculator. Alloys, implant parts, denture teeth, acrylics, ceramics, milling blanks, pressable ingots, burrs, wheel chairs, massage/chiropractic tables, dental chairs, air handpieces, radiograph eqiupment, and a partidge in a pear tree. Basically any class II device, which covers a WHOLE lot more than is easy to name.

Edit: In December we gotta dall from our main supplier reps asking if we wanted to stock up on things before it hit, they were having mini-sales on top of the year end hoopla that usually occurs.

Last edited:
jthacke3

jthacke3

Reaction score
Glidewell and Preat have been line-iteming the price increase, and Ivoclar absorbed the tax as part of a larger price increase. Its been my observation that most have chosen to absorb it. Overall, we've found the effect of the tax to be fairly nominal. If a company was registered with the FDA as a manufacturer or importer before the tax kicked in, I have no doubt they are paying the tax.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I'm going over some tax stuff (extension expiring) and I looked it is line item on all my suppliers invoice but it is not on most of the the statement.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
This is a manufacturing tax and is part of the cost of manufacturing. Why would anyone add that as a line item or take the hit. You just put it over in the cost to manufacture and figure it into the selling price? Then it becomes the hidden tax the people that we elected wanted it to be.

Monday suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
the problem is that it shouldn't be hidden!!!
hiding taxes (like income tax taken out before employees get a paycheck),is how they keep increasing taxes. this new tax is NOT a manufacturing tax. its a tax. period. it will be added on its own line so that the consumer can see exactly what is being added, and why.

chief26

chief26

Reaction score
I Havent noticed a difference in prices....I spoke with the FDA about some of the stuff the labs were suppose to do and was told that unless I imported o exported internationally I didnt have to do.anything..

Top Bottom