Are plaster Study Models obsolete? diagnostic/presentation

april

april

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for about five years while focusing on my babies and several military moves.
Now that I am permanently established in San Antonio (no plans to EVER move again),I was hoping to get back to work.
I had a successful home based model lab and rarely had to look for accounts. So my question is
has digital completely taken over? Is this worth pursuing? I'm more than willing to do the work to get accounts, but want to get input from you guys first. Thanks for any feedback.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
A lot of work in model work in Ortho has gone digital. Especially with the invisialign and big companies as great lakes making these type of models now. I'd probably get in touch with a few Ortho docs and maybe find the Ortho lab in your area and pay a visit. Every region is slightly different so there may be a market out there with a little leg work to find out for sure. Keep us posted what you come up with.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
LabGuy pretty much nailed it. good luck, let us know how you do!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
In rural areas, you will find Drs havent switched over yet and are still doing things the tradtional way.. San Antonio, maybe not so much. Im sure you will have a big enough pool to find analog and digital Drs. The other possibility is offering to 'digitize' models for Drs that dont want a scanner.
Just curious but how many Ortho models do you have to pour every day to have a successful business as you say? Models only, no appliances?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
the majority of our diagnostic wax ups are still done by hand. We have a few that request a milled model of the new design, but we charge a premium for it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
In rural areas, you will find Drs havent switched over yet and are still doing things the tradtional way.. San Antonio, maybe not so much. Im sure you will have a big enough pool to find analog and digital Drs. The other possibility is offering to 'digitize' models for Drs that dont want a scanner.
Just curious but how many Ortho models do you have to pour every day to have a successful business as you say? Models only, no appliances?
Good question, ortho models and the angles and such properly done is quite impressive.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I had a friend in Fl that did this. I guess you can make a good living if you have a bunch of offices..

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
What do you think those models are worth? 40-60 Each? Materials are minimal. Probably takes 25 min to pour another 25min to base, trim, gloss and out the door. What I read made it seem as if he is a part timer or side job.

Rainbow Machine

Rainbow Machine

Reaction score
Slight tangent but I thought I'd ask here:
Anyone know what separator works well on 3d printed models? Some of my ortho customers are having troubles with their appliances sticking to the models.

I've had customers say that ABC works well, but when another lab tries it, ABC doesn't allow for separation. Perhaps there are tricks to get it to work? Other labs use different processes with success but they don't give me their 'secret'.

What about Teflon spray? Would that work?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
theres a thread here about that.. I forgot what the conclusion was, but someone posted something that works.

Rainbow Machine

Rainbow Machine

Reaction score
Thanks. I looked around but perhaps didn't dig far enough. I'll take another peek.

P

paul.rud

Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for about five years while focusing on my babies and several military moves.
Now that I am permanently established in San Antonio (no plans to EVER move again),I was hoping to get back to work.
I had a successful home based model lab and rarely had to look for accounts. So my question is
has digital completely taken over? Is this worth pursuing? I'm more than willing to do the work to get accounts, but want to get input from you guys first. Thanks for any feedback.
April - I'm resurrecting this old thread...
I have found that yes, digital has mostly taken over. There are still several offices that make diagnostic study models -- I don't know what percent send them out vs. make them in-house?
Any update on your efforts to get back in the game in SA?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
For ortho, digital has really taken off. Its almost a no-brainer. A Dr here has an itero, but doesnt make his own aligners. Theyre too busy raking in the dough..