Anyone using Preciso Scanner?

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is using this scanner. I do realize that it is made by Steinbichler and being sold through Jensen with the Preciso name badge. They have opened up their system to .stl files. It will also be coming with Exocad software. Really want to see one in action with the Exocad. The older Lava system utilized the DWOS software. Looking at this one at this point. Price is right for us at the given time. Any suggestions, concerns or comments let me know.

Thanks,
Darren

NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
I have experience with the scanner and software separate.They are both great so I assume they would make a good package. I have a hard time believing that anything from jensen is truly "OPEN" though.... but maybe it is...

Everett

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Very limited implant options.
Probably no bar option or support.

Still closed, and no other exocad reseller can help you.
Scanner is closed and I doubt it exports in stl.

When you say it can work with stl files, what do you mean exactly?

The scanner is excellent, but.....Cannot use to full potential unfortunatly.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Yea I was told it would output .stl as well but I've grown weary of what Jensen says and what they eventually do.... my system barely a year old and have been told I have 3 choices, switch to the new exocad for $2k plus update fees (which they dont even know what that fee will be),stick with the current Lava7 that will not be updated anymore by 3M or switch to Dental Wings? WTF...seems I should be able to do what I want since they are really screw'n the early buyers IMHO....they say 3M is the reason...

I see Stienbechler is an exocad partner Our partners - exocad Im gonna have to contact them see if they can help me out... Jensen just told me and I only have a month to make a decision...thanks alot....

NDLMilling

NDLMilling

Reaction score
Yea I was told it would output .stl as well but I've grown weary of what Jensen says and what they eventually do.... my system barely a year old and have been told I have 3 choices, switch to the new exocad for $2k plus update fees (which they dont even know what that fee will be),stick with the current Lava7 that will not be updated anymore by 3M or switch to Dental Wings? WTF...seems I should be able to do what I want since they are really screw'n the early buyers IMHO....they say 3M is the reason...

I see Stienbechler is an exocad partner Our partners - exocad Im gonna have to contact them see if they can help me out... Jensen just told me and I only have a month to make a decision...thanks alot....

4th option: Get Dental Shaper and convert to stl...

Everett

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is using this scanner. I do realize that it is made by Steinbichler and being sold through Jensen with the Preciso name badge. They have opened up their system to .stl files. It will also be coming with Exocad software. Really want to see one in action with the Exocad. The older Lava system utilized the DWOS software. Looking at this one at this point. Price is right for us at the given time. Any suggestions, concerns or comments let me know.

Thanks,
Darren
I'll let you know by the end of the week, we are having it installed tomorrow morning. We also added a year to our lava7 for 600 to keep our Atlantis connection alive and we are very familiar with it so if production becomes an issue we can still use it. We were told by Jensen and our Dentsply Implants rep. that Atlantis is going .stl this fall. So at some point the wings connection will be unnecessary. Time will tell but we were told in no uncertain terms that it is officially open. My only unanswered question is will the scans be able to be exported in .stl.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I just bought the bridge also and as Rex said 695$ for one more year of Lava7 as I use it for hybrid abuts. The full C&B version of Exocad is 1500 plus future modules, i.e. Implants. I too was not happy, but this is the game all computer software and firmware are going to. I too was not happy with LD7, and to boot I now have to pay 1500k to 2000k for support. Sad days, they will continue to nickel and dime until Delcm comes and opens or standardizes evrything. My 2 cents

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score

You will not have any success contacting Steinbichler. They do not sell direct, and they do not sell exocad.

Last edited:
ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Fired it up today! Easy to toggle between 7 and Preciso. All of the other exo supported scanners are also in the dropdown. The scans and part files are exported in Jensen .stl for the preciso cam. There is a short cut that allows the case to be copied to .stl (scans as well as parts). We do mostly full antagonist scans and the vestibular scan works much faster and easier than the bite scan in 7. We will do some designs this afternoon lots to learn. Mike mentioned the prices but didnt mention this is owned software, no additional fees unless you want to. They train once, and if you are new to this one year of support comes with full purchase, after that support is per call or per year your choice.

DarrenS

DarrenS

Reaction score
Fired it up today! Easy to toggle between 7 and Preciso. All of the other exo supported scanners are also in the dropdown. The scans and part files are exported in Jensen .stl for the preciso cam. There is a short cut that allows the case to be copied to .stl (scans as well as parts). We do mostly full antagonist scans and the vestibular scan works much faster and easier than the bite scan in 7. We will do some designs this afternoon lots to learn. Mike mentioned the prices but didnt mention this is owned software, no additional fees unless you want to. They train once, and if you are new to this one year of support comes with full purchase, after that support is per call or per year your choice.
Where are you located? We are in Florida and my doc wants to see this system in action, We have a lab a couple hours north of us that is just now installing the Exocad with the same scanner. It just has the Lava name badge on it.

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Where are you located? We are in Florida and my doc wants to see this system in action, We have a lab a couple hours north of us that is just now installing the Exocad with the same scanner. It just has the Lava name badge on it.
We are in northern MN.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Just because you see other scanners, does not mean you can use them. All scanners for exocad require a software packet to be installed that includes the necessary drivers required to power another brand of scanner. You will not be able to use another scanner.

note: This site now officially blows-McNuggetts!@! When I type, there is a loooong delay before the text appears on my monitor. I cannot stand it Travis!
Terrible interface with IE8 and IE9!

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Just because you see other scanners, does not mean you can use them. All scanners for exocad require a software packet to be installed that includes the necessary drivers required to power another brand of scanner. You will not be able to use another scanner.

note: This site now officially blows-McNuggetts!@! When I type, there is a loooong delay before the text appears on my monitor. I cannot stand it Travis!
Terrible interface with IE8 and IE9!
Your second hand st scanners should be worth a little more now. They will be able to run Preciso soon as well. I have no idea what will be charged but that will make those old scanners current with stl output. Ps site works fine with firefox.

S

Steve Palamar

Reaction score

Thanks,
Darren

I'm also searching for a solution when my LD-7 expires.
D&S Dental in Waunakee, Wisconsin went to Preciso. Steve Daggett ([email protected]) the Manager says he loves it.
But how about the DWOS upgrade? Anyone have experience?
Thanks,
Steve

C

charles007

Reaction score
I'm also searching for a solution when my LD-7 expires.
D&S Dental in Waunakee, Wisconsin went to Preciso. Steve Daggett ([email protected]) the Manager says he loves it.
But how about the DWOS upgrade? Anyone have experience?
Thanks,
Steve
Welcome Steve to DLN...
Your best bet is to start a new thread on DWOS since very little is posted about DWOS.... and a lot negative ..

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We sold our DW system a couple of years ago. Updates were problematic and support was poor. But, DW was not providing our support. We purchased the system through Zahn.

dswilliams

dswilliams

Reaction score
We updated our Lava-7 to Dental Wings "Lava Edition" to test it before our license is up for renewal. BTW, did you know, fellow Lava 7 users, that you are eligible for this upgrade at no charge prior to the expiration of your current license term? We accidentally found that out and decided to try it out. We also have Exocad (not Precisocad) so I have a comparison. The compelling component to the DWOS "Lava Edition" vs Presisocad is the ability to import margin-marked True Definition intraoral scans (not available other than raw STL on Precisocad) as well as other third-party intraoral scanners; Straumann Cares at no additional charge other than scan bodies which is access to Straumann certified and warrantied prosthetic solutions (not available on Precisocad),and the partnership with Atlantis as we are an Elite Lab and downloading core files are extremely important. All of these things are very important to us and Precisocad has no solution.

The best I was told is there is a "place reserved along the top" for importing True Definition scans with no date for launching. I have been told Atlantis talks are in the works with Precisocad but currently nothing in the near future. I tried importing the raw STL and it is just not workable if it hasn't gone through the 3M margin marking process.
Additionally, with the DWOS Lava Edition, you can have multiple work stations with one license (as long as not working simultaneously);
No new software or loss of existing cases - - it is just an update;
Includes the FCZ wizard with multiple anatomy libraries from which to choose, unlike Precisocad;
No ULDC file restrictions -- import ULDC and export ULDC;
it is compatible with the add-on DWOS model builder -- although I do not have first-hand experience with this;
the additional modules are available now, unlike precisocad.

I am trying all of these features out and so far am happy. The license renewal, if I choose DWOS Lava Edition, is essentially the same price as the migration to Precisocad.

As a comparison, for just the design function, I still favor Exocad; however, if comparing PRECISOCAD (the stripped down exocad) and the DWOS Lava Edition, DWOS is much more robust and has many more features which is compelling when looking at the renewal price and all of the functionality.

Oh, one other. Dental Wings owns the DHS dental hub through which Lava 7 cases have been submitted from design center to milling center. This no longer works with precisocad, but it is functioning just fine with DWOS Lava Edition from users still on Lava 7. That isn't such a big deal to me, but it has been a source of irritation to my design centers who made the Preciso migration.

All things to consider when time for renewal.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
As a comparison, for just the design function, I still favor Exocad; however, if comparing PRECISOCAD (the stripped down exocad) and the DWOS Lava Edition, DWOS is much more robust and has many more features which is compelling when looking at the renewal price and all of the functionality.
Why would anyone want a stripped down version of any CAD program? CAD developing companies have spent huge on resources and revenue to bring needed tools and inductions to our industry. Going "stripped down" makes no logical sense.