Anyone used itero to scan Straumann implants recently?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I heard about a case that needed something like big money before they would index/return itero model with actual implant analogs?
They had returned a milled die of the scan body instead . . .
LCM

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
If you are already part of the iTero network, have the latest update installed and follow the work flow procedures outlined by Straumann it will not cost you an arm and a leg. You would get a model from iTero with special receptacles milled in to the model for repositionable analogs.
Here are the catalog numbers for the repositionable analogs;
025.2102 Repositionable Implant Analog NC
025.4102 Repositionable Implant Analog RC
048.129 Repositionable Implant Analog RN
048.132 Repositionable Implant Analog NN
048.172 Repositionable Implant Analog WN
If you like, I can e-mail a power point presentation outlining the procedures neccessary to produce a working model from the iTero scan for Straumann implants.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks, will PM you for powr point!
Cheers!
LCM

I

IntegratedDentistry

Reaction score
Fully digit

Hi Jo,

I do use the itero and am interested in your power point. Would you like to share this with me. [email protected]

If interested I launched a new group on Linkedin today. Integrated Dentistry/Guided Implant Surgery as with the support from ITI Straumann we would lik eto fully digitize our workflow

F

fabe

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
First post...
I am a Periodontist and would like to integrate scanning implant in my practice.
I have been in discussion with Straumann RE Itero and the Cares digital workflow.
A question that has never really been answered is:
-I take the time to develop a nice emergence profile with a custom healing abutment or a screw-retained temporary crown- I remove the temp (or custom healing abut),place my scan body, will the Itero be able to record the emergence ? How deep? Isn' t there a dual scan itero protocol where I could first remove the temp, scan the emrgence profile, then place the scan body, then scan, then merge the stl files?
-Am I better off taking a regular impression at the implant level with a custom impression coping, pour the model, then scan the model with a 3shape scanner and process through abutment designer?
-If I go the route of the 3Shape scanner, I still need a scan body...and so how do I record the emergence?

Thank's for helping me better understand the current limitation of the implant scanning protocol

fabe

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
First post...
I am a Periodontist and would like to integrate scanning implant in my practice.
I have been in discussion with Straumann RE Itero and the Cares digital workflow.
-I take the time to develop a nice emergence profile with a custom healing abutment or a screw-retained temporary crown- I remove the temp (or custom healing abut),place my scan body, will the Itero be able to record the emergence ? How deep? Isn' t there a dual scan itero protocol where I could first remove the temp, scan the emrgence profile, then place the scan body, then scan, then merge the stl files?
-Am I better off taking a regular impression at the implant level with a custom impression coping, pour the model, then scan the model with a 3shape scanner and process through abutment designer?
-If I go the route of the 3Shape scanner, I still need a scan body...and so how do I record the emergence?

Thank's for helping me better understand the current limitation of the implant scanning protocol

fabe

I work with Itero docs, but they haven't used the Straumann scan bodies yet. I think you should be able to capture the depth of the implant as well as the adaptation of your screw retained temporary with the Itero scan. It might be a good idea to do a scan as well as a conventional impression with impression posts just to see which one gives you the best result. I have a Straumann scanner and I have used the scan bodies with soft tissue models with good results. I'm not sure how it measures the depth of the actual implant, but it provides a nice scan of the surrounding tissue.
I would be happy to accomodate you with this project and could email you the photos of the scan in each situation.
I'm also interested in seeing how well the new abutment analogs work with the Itero models.

J

Jae

Reaction score
iTero limitation

Hi Guys,
First post...
I work with a periodontist who has an iTero scanner for scanning Straumann implants.

-I take the time to develop a nice emergence profile with a custom healing abutment or a screw-retained temporary crown- I remove the temp (or custom healing abut),place my scan body, will the Itero be able to record the emergence ? How deep?
Isn' t there a dual scan itero protocol where I could first remove the temp, scan the emrgence profile, then place the scan body, then scan, then merge the stl files?
I expected the steps just like you described here would be a logical one but iTero is not capable of scanning both scan body and emergence profile at the same time. You can scan scan body and emergence separately but they are considered two different cases meaning you can not combine two scans to make neither the model nor to import to CAD software to design abutment.

Regular impression would be better to pick up implant position and emergence at the same time. However you'd have to scan with Straumann CS2 scanner to design and mill genuine Straumann abutment but you can get abutments milled by a third party milling centre if you scan with 3Shape. However, you can not get a full zirconia abutment. You can only get Ti abutments or Zir abutment with Ti interface.

If you have a scan body from a third party milling center, you can scan with 3Shape and the software let you scan emergence profile and position during the scanning process. Just follow the steps within 3Shape software.

I wanted to use iTero scan for multiple abutments since the shrinkage of impression material and expansion of stone affects the precision of especially screw retained bridges.
However iTero currently does not make implant models with multiple repositional analogs.
Meaning you can only scan single unit implant and only the position of implant without soft tissue info.
I think we have to wait a little longer to find a useful use of iTero scanning for aesthetic implant cases.
Currently it only makes sense for single posterior implants.

fabe

My answers in blue right below your questions.

doug

doug

Reaction score
However iTero currently does not make implant models with multiple repositional analogs.

I just finished a three unit case with teeth #'s 18,19,20. all repositional analogs in it. I guess that problem has been solved.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
As mentioned by Doug, multiple scan bodies can be scanned in a single procedure and the iTero model will be milled with multiple receptacles for the appropriate repositionable analogs.

Capturing sculpted tissue contours with an intraoral scanner is not possible at this time with any of the available scanner units on the market. A work around would be to add flowable composite to the installed scan body, just don't get any composite on the multi facet scan body cap. Take the scan and send the modified scan body to the lab. The lab then can create a soft tissue model on the iTero model with the modified scan body.

F

fabe

Reaction score
custom scan body

As mentioned by Doug, multiple scan bodies can be scanned in a single procedure and the iTero model will be milled with multiple receptacles for the appropriate repositionable analogs.

Capturing sculpted tissue contours with an intraoral scanner is not possible at this time with any of the available scanner units on the market. A work around would be to add flowable composite to the installed scan body, just don't get any composite on the multi facet scan body cap. Take the scan and send the modified scan body to the lab. The lab then can create a soft tissue model on the iTero model with the modified scan body.

Haha, it's funny, you basically answered the question I was going to ask: Is a custom scan body with flowable feasible?..I guess yes

But, I am missing something here:

The lab will receive the stl file, design the cadcam abutment, receive the itero model and the cadcam abut with possibly a coping, then make the crown.What is the point of the soft tissue Itero model as the abutment is already designed at this point ?

BTW, even if the abutment was not yet design, the soft tissue model would not really help as the design of the abutment is made virtually...unless you wax it according to the soft tissue, then scan it etc

Jo, would you be kind enough to email me your power point presentation. My email: [email protected]

Thanks

Fabe

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Fabe
Cases where the tissue has been meticulously sculpted require a different work flow.
Install scan body and add flowable composite. Scan intra orally with iTero and send file and modified scan body to lab. Lab formats file and sends file to Align (iTero). Align mills model with receptacle for repositionable analog. Lab receives model and removes some material around the receptacle and installs analog. Screw on modified scan body and add soft tissue material.

At this point the lab can order a stock zirconia abutment and bake on to the abutment or fabricate a custom abutment with a UCLA. Second option would be to send the modified model to Straumann’s scan and shape service (Apollo) to produce a custom abutment out of titanium or zirconia. Third option would apply to laboratories with a CS2 scanner. Scanner equipped labs can scan the soft tissue model and virtually design an abutment conforming to the sculpted tissue.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Jo Chen, thanks for the info! Will try this the next time we have such a case.
Cheers!
LCM

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Hey there - I would love to see your PowerPoint Presentation. Could you please email it to [email protected]? Thanks!

J

Jae

Reaction score
power point presentation

If you are already part of the iTero network, have the latest update installed and follow the work flow procedures outlined by Straumann it will not cost you an arm and a leg. You would get a model from iTero with special receptacles milled in to the model for repositionable analogs.
If you like, I can e-mail a power point presentation outlining the procedures neccessary to produce a working model from the iTero scan for Straumann implants.

Hi, Jo.

Can you email me the power point presentation?

Thanks.

J

jellyfish

Reaction score
Intra Oral Scanning via Itero

Hello PDC

Just an FYI. Have you looked at the 3i Encode and Itero work flow? Just scan the Encode healing abutment with the Itero and that gets sent to 3i for abutment fabrication. I know that their Encodes healing abutments has a code to read "implant depth, hex-orientation, platform diameter/emergence profile and Certain® Internal Connection or External Connection interface". May be what you are looking for?

have a good evening!

Hi Guys,
First post...

fabe[/QUOTE]

S

Sparky

Reaction score
PPT Presentation

Hello Jo,
Could you email me the ppt presentation as well? - Thanks and looking forward to see the details!

Martin
[email protected]

S

SDG

Reaction score
Jo Could you also send me that power point presentation?
I have scan bodies for other implant platforms other than strauman.
How could we use itero to make a model using a stl file from them?

Andres

Andres

Reaction score
If you like, I can e-mail a power point presentation outlining the procedures neccessary to produce a working model from the iTero scan for Straumann implants.[/quote
Dear Jo,
Could you please email me a copy of PowerPoint presentation to [email protected]. Thanks in advance. Andres