Anyone Taken the Implant CDT recently?

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
Wondering what suggested resources were most useful for the written specialty and practical exam for Implants. I've ordered all of the recommended reading materials, If anyone has some pointers as were to focus my efforts in preparing for both of the exams.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Perhaps I’m too late to comment on this? I took exam in ‘16 or ‘17. There’s no secret or shortcut or hack to padding this exam- If you have significant experience doing implants already, you will be fine- like any other CDT exam (I’ve taken all but Ortho)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
In the preliminary part of this test, candidates must pour casts, with appropriate soft tissue material, for both fixed and removable tasks according to the written instructions. They will be required to construct a custom abutment which may be fabricated using traditional or digital methods. Candidates are also required to construct a baseplate over attachments and a verification jig to fit a multi-implant situation according to the written instructions.

At the test site, candidates are instructed to complete:

• a full contour wax up over a custom abutment.
  • a matrix and a full contour wax up for a screw retained bridge.
  • a stable wrap-around bar substructure to fit the provided stent.
  • a 1 x 14 set up and wax up over attachments.
In the Implant test, candidates' grades are reported in three parts: (1) the preliminary assignments; (2) the screw retained and cement retained assignments; and (3) the bar design and the 1x14 set up and wax up assignments.

Can someone explain exactly what is expected?
I am imagining just wax a tooth
Do I need to full contour wax a case then make a matrix? Can I use denture teeth? Because that is how I would do it in the lab.
What is a stable wrap around bar substructure? A like a slide on frame? Will I need to cast and finish it?
I am guessing this is just a locator denture?

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Good day. I took the implant test in 2017-I think that was my final exam. I cannot off the top of my head remember what the test entailed- the test itself was no more difficult than any other CDT exam. I did not find any of the exams as difficult frankly. If you are doing in the lab what you are attempting certification in, it’s another day in the lab, (without distracting phone calls or employee questions-big win!) just likely not in your lab which buggers a lot of folks up. I always brought as much equipment as possible- including my porcelain oven and pump, light cure box, hand piece, all burs and instrumentation , Hanau torch, micro torch for soldering, microscope for fit and finishing etc. However, I remember casting and finishing a lower anterior bar, there was a set up, a cement retainer crown and screw retained finished onsite, matrix, the denture was clip retained not locator……
I used precious and semi precious alloys (the same I would use on a real case) That being said, your questions are good ones, and you need clarity for, and deserve appropriate answers which I think you should just reach out to the NBC for.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Good day. I took the implant test in 2017-I think that was my final exam. I cannot off the top of my head remember what the test entailed- the test itself was no more difficult than any other CDT exam. I did not find any of the exams as difficult frankly. If you are doing in the lab what you are attempting certification in, it’s another day in the lab, (without distracting phone calls or employee questions-big win!) just likely not in your lab which buggers a lot of folks up. I always brought as much equipment as possible- including my porcelain oven and pump, light cure box, hand piece, all burs and instrumentation , Hanau torch, micro torch for soldering, microscope for fit and finishing etc. However, I remember casting and finishing a lower anterior bar, there was a set up, a cement retainer crown and screw retained finished onsite, matrix, the denture was clip retained not locator……
I used precious and semi precious alloys (the same I would use on a real case) That being said, your questions are good ones, and you need clarity for, and deserve appropriate answers which I think you should just reach out to the NBC for.
Waiting on a call back from NBC they will get around to me about the time I need to renew my CDT.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Waiting on a call back from NBC they will get around to me about the time I need to renew my CDT.
Odd. I’ve never had to wait for a call back. Whenever I’ve called I’ve been taken care care in that phone call.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Odd. I’ve never had to wait for a call back. Whenever I’ve called I’ve been taken care care in that phone call.
They called this morning, it happens they are probably busy, I was just grumpy yesterday.

Top Bottom