Anyone see this with biohorizons abutments?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Not from what I understand from what I've heard. The mill the entire abutment at once (top cap all the way to the interface). Not like purchasing pre-milled blanks with the interface already manufactured on it. This is unverified information though. Just from what I've heard. Please take that into consideration as well.
Okay that's what I wanted to verify. A one piece would be a marred interface with a broken screw. The OP picture is a failed cold weld.

And if it was 100% true about Atlantis being totally milled, and an abutment looked like the OP picture, then lab would have some explaining to do as it would be counterfeit.

That's why I was trying to determine if you had 100% knowledge on that fact.

Two ways things go bad. Manufacturing defect or Lab is using "same as" parts for convenience and profit.

I also got a report last week the same "sheer" on Zimmer platform/ Atlantis abutment. So that's two of this happening in the past year in my town. Different labs, different offices.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Okay that's what I wanted to verify. A one piece would be a marred interface with a broken screw. The OP picture is a failed cold weld.

And if it was 100% true about Atlantis being totally milled, and an abutment looked like the OP picture, then lab would have some explaining to do as it would be counterfeit.

That's why I was trying to determine if you had 100% knowledge on that fact.

Two ways things go bad. Manufacturing defect or Lab is using "same as" parts for convenience and profit.

I also got a report last week the same "sheer" on Zimmer platform/ Atlantis abutment. So that's two of this happening in the past year in my town. Different labs, different offices.

There are no welds on milled parts. They are a solid one piece part.

We do not know all of the information on the part originally discussed/shown. It appears to be a UCLA abutment that was cast. The bevel where the abutment seats onto the implant appears to be polished off as well. (This particular part appears to me to be a UCLA by the color and construction/shape in the picture shown. It does not appear to be a milled abutment even though I could be wrong.) Over polishing around the bevel can cause issues with the part seating properly into the implant, micro-movement, not forming a proper seal, etc. Over-polishing can cause a plethora of issues.

Also, always use the screw provided by the abutment manufacturer. All screws are not the same and should be used with the part it was sold with. For instance, one screw seat on the internal of the component may have a bevel on the shoulder where another manufacturer may have a butt joint. This is one example of parts that are often swapped out by labs and Dr.'s alike that case issues like screw loosening.

Like I said, there are so many variables that cause issues that need to be talked out and discussed to get down to the root of the problem. This is true with any implant manufacturer.

I suggest to always contact the manufacturer of the product and discuss and resolve the issues. This is the best avenue to get predictable/the best results.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
There are no welds on milled parts. They are a solid one piece part.

We do not know all of the information on the part originally discussed/shown. It appears to be a UCLA abutment that was cast. The bevel where the abutment seats onto the implant appears to be polished off as well. (This particular part appears to me to be a UCLA by the color and construction/shape in the picture shown. It does not appear to be a milled abutment even though I could be wrong.) Over polishing around the bevel can cause issues with the part seating properly into the implant, micro-movement, not forming a proper seal, etc. Over-polishing can cause a plethora of issues.

Also, always use the screw provided by the abutment manufacturer. All screws are not the same and should be used with the part it was sold with. For instance, one screw seat on the internal of the component may have a bevel on the shoulder where another manufacturer may have a butt joint. This is one example of parts that are often swapped out by labs and Dr.'s alike that case issues like screw loosening.

Like I said, there are so many variables that cause issues that need to be talked out and discussed to get down to the root of the problem. This is true with any implant manufacturer.

I suggest to always contact the manufacturer of the product and discuss and resolve the issues. This is the best avenue to get predictable/the best results.
Sorry... Milled abutments aren't my gig. Just trying to learn. But it does look like if a screw loosened up enough for that much play, the screw would break before the hex would "slide" off

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Did you contact Atlantis about the issue? This would be their complaint since it's their product not BioHorizons.
Yes. They fabricated a new abutment at no charge.

For the two cases where I have seen the hex sheer off, they both were on non ideal implant placement. Both were not centered under the crown which resulted in cantilevered forces on the hybrid.

T

TX DMD

Reaction score
I have seen this on 5 BH implant in the last 2 years. Twice on the same patient. Placed by me and another Dr. Atlantis abutments. I have switched them all to BH abutments, hoping that would help. Have you heard anything new.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have seen this on 5 BH implant in the last 2 years. Twice on the same patient. Placed by me and another Dr. Atlantis abutments. I have switched them all to BH abutments, hoping that would help. Have you heard anything new.
From my perspective, it isn't the abutment. The geometry of the connection between the abutment and the implant makes it more likely that the hex will fracture in some circumstances. IMO the implant placement needs to be within a narrower set of parameters than other implant types. It cant be placed at tissue level. It needs to be more aligned with the centric occlusal force vector. Every time one of these abutments has broken, its been on a case where the implant wasn't placed ideally.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
was also thinking.. I have done a lot of BH/Zimmer custom abutments thru TRU and haven't heard of a problem ever... anyone else??

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
It appears to be a UCLA abutment that was cast.
I believe it is AB medical that also makes a titanium cast-to... ridiculous but true..
it is 1 part number off and doesn't specify gold or Ti... been a few years since that ****show... the cast-to's vanished after a few hrs in Super Stripper

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Fingers crossed. Although, I had it happen with BioH OEM abutments, too...

D

Davor

Reaction score
We're seeing that as well. Mainly with the UCLA's from BH. Not with any other brand.
We've maybe had about a dozen over the last few years? Not fun at all....
And the last time I questioned BH they said they don't see a trend with this problem.

D

DIMADEL

Reaction score
hi this is dr delgado, you have to check up, the torque that are using for this abutments, do not exceed 30 nw of torque, each abutments brands has different torque recommendations.

Top Bottom