anyone milling emax?

L

lkpllc

Reaction score
Anybody out there milling emax from a 3shape digital design? If so how would you compare fit/esthetics to pressing and investing? We do mostly emax and are looking for a solution that would be equal or very close to the product we get when we press. Looking to send our digital design to a high end mill and then finish in our lab. Any thoughts?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Tyler over at Parkway Lab is doing it. Try messaging him. I havent done it yet. I just have my designs printed and then press them. Much cheaper with same result

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I milled 15 today. We mill Emax all day long and have outstanding results. Our Emax is milled on a Imes Icore 450i. I prefer milled Emax cad these days turnaround time is better not problems with mis presses or employees not caring about what they are doing. Besides that I really think the material looks better, it has a cleaner look compared to pressed.

We have a two day in lab schedule and we can either ship back crystallized or in blue block state for $65 from a digital file. If you are interested PM me with your information and I can call you tomorrow and we can talk. Cheers

Herme

Herme

Reaction score
I agree with Tyler. If you're running them through a decent mill, the fit, margin and aesthetics are great. We've tried a couple mills and the same 3shape file can look quite a bit different out of each one. Also, the slurry from milling the "blue" blocks is really rough on the mills, but since you're outsourcing that step, you won't have that headache to worry about.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Tyler, a friend has switched over to milled emax rather than pressing. Says the milled are more consistent on shade. Is that your experience as well? What about comparing pressed margins to milled?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i concur with all statements above; tyler is the man for milled emax in the south.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
When you mill the wax then press in emax they do come out cleaner and more aesthetic due to no impurities because milled wax burns out better as there is no separator they also fit better as you can mill wax with smaller burs than grinding with diamonds in the blue stage.of course you need a half decent techo but that's what we are here for.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
When you mill the wax then press in emax they do come out cleaner and more aesthetic due to no impurities because milled wax burns out better as there is no separator they also fit better as you can mill wax with smaller burs than grinding with diamonds in the blue stage.of course you need a half decent techo but that's what we are here for.

We mill e.max with 2.5mm, 1mm and 0.6mm tools generally but can utilize 0.3mm if required...the tool size has nothing to do with the material it's all up to milling template used e.g. feed rate, step interval and machining parameters.
I think there is no right or wrong with pressing vs. milling, everyone has their preference and how they make the setup work in their environment. I had a customer on the phone today saying the mill saved his life as he could mill and finish a crown in less than 2 hours.

In addition there are so many new materials around the corner requiring wet grinding e.g. VITA Suprenity, Enamic, Celtra etc which can only be milled, not pressed...but this is another discussion.

Last edited:
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I use to be a huge fan of pressed Emax over milled but that was before we got our wet mill. It has made us more consistent and in my eyes has allowed us to offer a better product. The margins and fits are comparable to zirconia margins and fits. To me I have never been a fan of milled wax, I love to print it. The fits are better on printed wax then milled wax. Our problem all boiled down to is we have one guy that waxes, invests, casts or presses, divest, and finish metal or Emax. Now the problem is this guy makes a boat load of money and has a ton of talent but he gets lazy and has issues pressing and blames the press furnace or the investment. So we have eliminated him completely and I scan, design, mill, crystallize, and finish a Emax Cad in 2 hours compared to the labor intensive side of pressing and hoping everything works out. The milled Emax has great color to it and has clarity compared to pressed. No reaction layer crap either. So these days I am a fan of milled Emax.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
These are 3 units I just knocked out this morning. Total mill time was 1:15 minutes. These are sent from digital files buy another lab. We will crystallize for him and ship them out today. He sent his files over at 3pm yesterday.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I agree with Tyler. If you're running them through a decent mill, the fit, margin and aesthetics are great. We've tried a couple mills and the same 3shape file can look quite a bit different out of each one. Also, the slurry from milling the "blue" blocks is really rough on the mills, but since you're outsourcing that step, you won't have that headache to worry about.

He doesn't outsource them...HE mills them in-house.

Plus it's not about the 3Shape files. A file is a file is a file.

It's all about your cement settings and milling strategy.

You get those tuned in and you'll be cooking with grease!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Tyler....how many crowns are you getting out of your burs?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
That sounds a bit like something a James Bond villain would say, you don't happen to have a white cat, do you?

Lol actually I do well my wife does not a big fan of cats but I live with it.

Attachments

• 581193_887001145882_956080319_n.jpg
    581193_887001145882_956080319_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
That's pretty good. Have you tweaked the strategies any to get better results?

Nope haven't touched them man they have doing pretty good for us so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I was just curious. Got the strat's from CAP right? The strat's I've gotten from them are pretty good too!

#SamDidItRight

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
its hard for us to justify that. We do 80+ units of e.max a day, and even if we got the e.max machine, we are averaging closer to $6.00 per unit plus labor may average to $10 block, but then machine cost + machine upkeep....

I don't know... maybe i'm wrong..