Any suggestions on what the best seperator for astron clearsplint would be?

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
I like the material, but I am having a few bugs that need worked out. The main issue is stone sticking to the acrylic really bad, to the point where I am needing to sandblast the underneath and they are not turning out clear.Also, the amount of teeth breaking off are staggering. I have tried great lakes liquid foil and dentaurum isoliermittel separating medium. The results are not good. I asked the tech and he had absolutely no info for pretty much any of the questions I had for him.

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
I am wondering if soaking the model before packing would help. I have never had to do this before.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I like the material, but I am having a few bugs that need worked out. The main issue is stone sticking to the acrylic really bad, to the point where I am needing to sandblast the underneath and they are not turning out clear.Also, the amount of teeth breaking off are staggering. I have tried great lakes liquid foil and dentaurum isoliermittel separating medium. The results are not good. I asked the tech and he had absolutely no info for pretty much any of the questions I had for him.
DVA's Acrylic Plaster Separator "APS" is what I've heard works very well with that. It does for everything I've ever seen.

The material has a 5 degree temperature window for proper curing. It cannot get 3 degrees too hot or 3 degrees too cold. Best solution I've heard for that is the curling iron style Suis Vide cookers that hang on the edge of the pot. I know someone doing multiple a week of them and these are what he says got him out of the pingpong of problems and into the perfect.

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
DVA's Acrylic Plaster Separator "APS" is what I've heard works very well with that. It does for everything I've ever seen.

The material has a 5 degree temperature window for proper curing. It cannot get 3 degrees too hot or 3 degrees too cold. Best solution I've heard for that is the curling iron style Suis Vide cookers that hang on the edge of the pot. I know someone doing multiple a week of them and these are what he says got him out of the pingpong of problems and into the perfect.

Thanks! I have been looking into getting the suis vide cooker, and will purchase it and the separator immediately. I do 5-6 a day and it is killing me.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I use dva separator as well...no problems with it and the clearsplint. It;s actually a very good separator for everything.

DavidW

DavidW

Reaction score
Until you get your technique perfected you may consider processing on a duplicated model.

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
I've been duping for sure. Thank you for your help!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
@XxJamesAxX might have some helpful tips

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
How are you processing, pour technique or press packing?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thanks! I have been looking into getting the suis vide cooker, and will purchase it and the separator immediately. I do 5-6 a day and it is killing me.
I've used DVA in past and gotten great results. Where I toil now uses Ivoclar. Nice consistent results.
We fabricate at least 5-10 a day.
FWIW sticking could be a cleanliness at boilout issue.
Also, if you're press packing, too moist a mix will also do this. Its tempting to pack early, because sometimes it feels like the material takes off too quick, so you over compensate

At least those are two of my past sins, FWIW...

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
This is what I use
https://www.yates-motloid.com/products/plasticlear,
I never duplicate my models for thermoplastic splints, I only do for my hard acrylic ones, I still paint the flask with a separating agent though, then I use the Plasticlear.
After processing, I remount the case, check the bite, do the necessary adjustments, then I place the guard in a container and microwave it for couple of minutes, and I remove it off the intact model.

The above link shows that the price is $58.80, I order mine from Zahn, I didn't know I was paying that much, however while searching google, I stumbled across this
http://www.reliancedental.net/shop/product/3121-densilk-4x4-1000-sheets-9965
I called them and apparently it's the same thing as the first one.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Eclipse material from Dentsply is very much the same end result. It is resin and not acrylic, I use regular separator twice under a fan and soak in warm water before desperation. No problem at all and you can use the softer material as a first layer and then put the hard on top. You get dual night guard, hard and soft at the same time.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
I've used clearsplint for years and never had this issue even with a few different separating solutions. I am currently using the ivoclar sep solution, the new formula is more concentrated so requires only a thin layer, blown gently off, not rinsed (as per directions). works a treat!
I have both poured and packed, I now use a sort if in-between technique that I have developed and found works very well - flask a certain way to allow a bit of a well, pour and wait until firmish(not too runny, not too hard) and then pack! works very well!
could the separator possibly be getting rinsed away if you rinse after? maybe add a 2nd coat...?
it is definitely a separating issue in my opinion.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I've used clearsplint for years and never had this issue even with a few different separating solutions. I am currently using the ivoclar sep solution, the new formula is more concentrated so requires only a thin layer, blown gently off, not rinsed (as per directions). works a treat!
I have both poured and packed, I now use a sort if in-between technique that I have developed and found works very well - flask a certain way to allow a bit of a well, pour and wait until firmish(not too runny, not too hard) and then pack! works very well!
could the separator possibly be getting rinsed away if you rinse after? maybe add a 2nd coat...?
it is definitely a separating issue in my opinion.
Could you please post a picture?

H

Heather Excel

Reaction score
still an issue. It was coming out without breakage, but had bad bubbles. Now I have been soaking the flasks for 15 minutes, letting them dry for 10, and painting dva seperator and letting it dry. Now, no bubbles, but lots of breakage and stone. There is seperator in the water I soak it in, as wel. Please help. This is becoming ridiculous.

Attachments

• 20190206_122318.jpg
    20190206_122318.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 16
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
still an issue. It was coming out without breakage, but had bad bubbles. Now I have been soaking the flasks for 15 minutes, letting them dry for 10, and painting dva seperator and letting it dry. Now, no bubbles, but lots of breakage and stone. There is seperator in the water I soak it in, as wel. Please help. This is becoming ridiculous.
What I'm seeing looks like a shell blaster would take it off.
If you're breaking teeth removing it, perhaps you should warm it up first.
If you're experiencing that many issues with separator, then maybe your mix is too fluid.
Only final suggestion is, if all else fails, use elastophane

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I use a tinfoil substitute for the model after boilout. As for the rest of it, I use putty, therefore no stone on outside of appliance.

Top Bottom