Any point in using a Nvida Quadro for 3shape as of 3shape 2020?

M

MonolithImmortal

Reaction score
I'm putting together a PC and I've got everything speced out for what I want, only I just wanted to check if there's any point in getting a Quadro at this point in time. I know in the past 3shape was not optimized for Quadros and everyone's advice was just to stick to GeForce cards, but wanted to see if anyone else was running a Quadro with 3shape 2020 and if there are any meaningful benefits from doing so?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
use whatever you can get, really.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I know in the past 3shape was not optimized for Quadros
My experience is that 3shape is not optimized for anything... On paper, 3Shape should fly on my new PC. But in many aspects it is still as sluggish as it was on the original PC.

#3shapeisslow

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah, you'd be pretty right. though i have to believe the new Ryzen architecture of common cache for all cores will help that. cause it means all the cores get their massive L3 cache.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If you go quadro get a good one. I did a P4000 and it was smooth. I have a M4000 in my wieland Cam dual Xeon 16core 32gb setup and it is nice. But since the crypto and gaming freak are sucking up all the GPU's get which ever one you can/ The 3060 or 3070 RTX will also do. 3Shape is not fully dependent on graphics cards and it wont use cuda core either.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
3Shape is now shipping computers with Quadro p1000/p20000 cards. When I enquired as to why I was told "
probably a performance upgrade" but I'm assuming its just the RTX shortage

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Im running a M4000 on a dual 8 core zeon hyperthreading. My friend is running a P4000 on a amd threadripper builder, very smooth.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
Is there any way to objectively benchmark the performance for 3shape (not irrelevant synthetic benchmarks) of quadro RTX (or even the new A-series) vs Geforce RTX... and can the software take advantage of multiple cores or does it depend on higher clock speeds?

Those threadrippers are nice, but their TDP is very high and can make thermal dissipation difficult with the subsequent throttling. Originally tried aircooling, but they got saturated real quick. Ended up having to use liquid metal along with an AIO watercooling just to prevent thermal throttling.

J

jeppe

Reaction score
How relevant is a good GPU in Dental Designer? Many CAD software require fast single-core CPU performance because multithreading is often poorly built.

So is there a difference between using a Nvidia 1060 or a modern 3090?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dental cad doesn't require enough rendering or transforming to make use of the graphics power of most modern cards, so for the purposes of CAD, no, there is no difference.

J

jeppe

Reaction score
When designing in realtime or calculating previews GPU is not used? So basically I'd be just fine with an integrated GPU?

Any suggestions on what CPU will provide best user experience when using Dental Designer?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, you will not be fine with integrated gpu. you will still require gpu functions, but since they are used so little, you can get away with older cards. integrated graphics do not have the same functions that are built in to gpu technology.

as above, anything with a large cache among its first 2+ cores. the new Efficiency core technology from Intel might work quite well.