Annual maintenance is…

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Just got an invoice sent to me for our hyperdent software.

Annual maintenance for hyperdent alone = $6,750.00!!!!!!

This actually makes me feel sick. There’s maybe a possibility of 2 phone calls I might make. Not sure if I called last year or the year before. Granted I didn’t use the software and mill for the last 4 months of last year.
Add that to the ongoing tech support fee of $2600 i think it was that they want. I hope I don’t ever have to cough up nearly $10,000 if I need two phone calls worth of support.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's insane. It's another revenue stream for these companies, let alone for those of us who hardly ever need that much support is greater profit for them. I'm sure hyperdent doesn't come up with mind blowing updates every year to justify the cost.

Who is your mill/software vendor?

I don't believe the VHF cam/cnc has a yearly maintenance fee. It may not be as robust as hy$$perdent, though, but still, the fine print and service/maintenance costs are nuts, especially for us smaller labs. It's probably one of the first questions we now need to be asking when buying a mill and CAM.

alfredmorad@gmail.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi RileyS , the numbers you are quoting are not correct, the cost for exocad yearly maintenance is dictated by Exocad, same with Hyperdent. We have no control over it. get in touch with me and I will give you the current costs, if you wish to renew, it is not mandatory,, however your license(s) with be frozen at the version you currently have.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hi RileyS , the numbers you are quoting are not correct, the cost for exocad yearly maintenance is dictated by Exocad, same with Hyperdent. We have no control over it. get in touch with me and I will give you the current costs, if you wish to renew, it is not mandatory,, however your license(s) with be frozen at the version you currently have.
So hyperdent's yearly, annual maintenance fee, from them paid through the vendor is $6,750.00? Is that for the advanced CAM?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I thought these mills paid for themselves?

M

mmbh

Reaction score

This actually makes me feel sick. There’s maybe a possibility of 2 phone calls I might make. Not sure if I called last year or the year before. Granted I didn’t use the software and mill for the last 4 months of last year.
Add that to the ongoing tech support fee of $2600 i think it was that they want. I hope I don’t ever have to cough up nearly $10,000 if I need two phone calls worth of support.
I go a huge bill too. It was automatically sent to upgrade to the new version with any past fees for not upgrading. I opted not to upgrade. The current version I have works fine.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I thought these mills paid for themselves?
Back in the day my Mini mill did. One time mill and CAM purchase and done. That mill paid for itself very quickly.

Now it's all the maintenance and service contracts we pay for..."but, but you're paying for our R&D to keep our software bleeding edge". Fine, let me look at your books$$. This is where your business model makes sense and is more profitable in that way. For myself, I'm paying for the convenience of having it at my fingertips.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

One reason I didn't buy my new mill from Ivoclar or Amman Girbach is their yearly maintenance contract, even for the first year when the machine is still under warranty!

I do have 3shape, which costs me $2620 annually. I realize they keep on evolving the software. But instead of adding 'new' features, why not making that damn software stable and fast!!!

Unfortunately this is our future. The companies figured out that they can charge us a 'low' monthly fee to use whatever new product comes available. Be it software, mills, scanners or cars. We will not own anything anymore in the future.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
I don't mind paying for maintanence and support. I am so busy downtime costs money and the guys at Axsys know what they are doing.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
One reason I didn't buy my new mill from Ivoclar or Amman Girbach is their yearly maintenance contract, even for the first year when the machine is still under warranty!

I do have 3shape, which costs me $2620 annually. I realize they keep on evolving the software. But instead of adding 'new' features, why not making that damn software stable and fast!!!

Unfortunately this is our future. The companies figured out that they can charge us a 'low' monthly fee to use whatever new product comes available. Be it software, mills, scanners or cars. We will not own anything anymore in the future.
Agree, it's their new form of "consumables" to make money after the initial equiptment purchase.

As for support, equipment support, let me buy that a la carte, per incident, and not as a yearly contract.

edit: and my New Year's resolution for this year, is to be even more of a cranky and curmudgeonly old man than I already am :) :)
clint.jpg

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the new version with any past fees for not upgrading
that is at the core here, the giant fees are to get you on NEW software and in order to do that also get any time spent off the maintenance contract.

not something axsys can control, the fees are simply passed on to the customer as we get them from the vendor.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't mind paying for maintanence and support. I am so busy downtime costs money and the guys at Axsys know what they are doing.
Sure, and I agree. But your mill will still be down, with or without plan. The only thing is it will be covered, if lucky and they dont find a clause to void coverage... (I dont know Axys and have never dealt with them, I am speaking generally)
But if you have a 'mandatory' maintenance fee of $3000 plus, annually, for your new mill, it implies that you will have incurring maintenance costs of $3000 annually! Or for what else would you need it?

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I am not about going to say that the old days of pfm are better, but come on, for a small lab it’s expensive, I know dental lab business is transferring to huge labs where they have IT on staff and owned by dental supply companies that could afford the expense

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Sure, and I agree. But your mill will still be down, with or without plan. The only thing is it will be covered, if lucky and they dont find a clause to void coverage... (I dont know Axys and have never dealt with them, I am speaking generally)
But if you have a 'mandatory' maintenance fee of $3000 plus, annually, for your new mill, it implies that you will have incurring maintenance costs of $3000 annually! Or for what else would you need it?
Additional revenue.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Yeah, its a business expense and everyone has to decide if it suites their needs.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'd like to thank all of those labs that are selling 79.00-120.00 Zr crowns( 'cause they're so inexpensive to fabricate) for having their heads in the sand. This was on the horizon years ago, even if not at that high of a fee. It's been at least 15 years of "pay to play" in this industry and everyone was JGing their work to "compete." JG is not your competition, he would bulldoze you if he were.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I understand I can keep going with the current versions I’m on. It’s definitely a strangely priced invoice. Maybe there’s a couple typos

Top Bottom