Am I crazy for wanting to trade my Exocad Galway Ultimate dongle for 3Shape?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Regardless of what the Legalese says, we all expect software to work for the particular purpose it was sold.
I agreed with that wholeheartedly but if the seller tells me it won't work that's pretty cut and dry. Maybe I'm not reading it correctly but it seems that the seller flat out said it wouldn't work for what he want (Calling him ignorant for attempting),but if that was said after the purchase then that's a different story.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Dont trust anyone that sells you anything in this industry. The truth is, they will sell you a piece of equipment for 10s of thousands of dollars, then within a year offer a you a deal where they 'buy back' the machine and ask for another $20k to put you in a different machine from another manufacturer.. all the while laughing it off, and taking their 'flagship' to the dump. True story. Buyer beware.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
before you make a switch compare the yearly subscription fee as well. Some say Exocad has more work around than 3Shape. 3Shape design software seems easier than exocad according to some cad tech.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Dont trust anyone that sells you anything in this industry. The truth is, they will sell you a piece of equipment for 10s of thousands of dollars, then within a year offer a you a deal where they 'buy back' the machine and ask for another $20k to put you in a different machine from another manufacturer.. all the while laughing it off, and taking their 'flagship' to the dump. True story. Buyer beware.
Straumann?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
No, its a sponsor here so Im being coy. Although almost every manufacturer does similar, everyone is always moving on the the next game changer every couple years, leaving us in the zirconia dust..

C

caninecommando

Reaction score
The guy I bought it from didn’t tell me it was broke until I complained about it crashing or doing weird **** all the time. I told him I needed to use stock, carded denture teeth when I bought it and he said I could but that most people like using his Pontic module workaround (he said hack, but apparently that’s getting some confusion here). I disregarded it since he never actually said it was broken. Then when I told him it was a dumpster fire module, he told me I was ignorant for trying to learn exocad without his help and that everyone knows the denture module is broken and called me ignorant (again) for even trying to use it.

the asshole also sold me an i500 scanner so I could do digital impressions and try to cut out my lab tech (who butchers most pour ups because god forbid she not mix the stone super dry and pour up impressions when it’s already half set) and then when I told him it didn’t do a very good job with edentulous scanning, he told me I’m supposed to take an impression using the patients old denture and then scan that outside the mouth. He had the audacity to tell me this despite knowing I already own a desktop scanner and didn’t need an i500 for something like that.

im going to leave his name out because despite him being an absolute douche, I met his father (owner of company) and he treated me well and was a very stand up guy every time I interacted with him.
I believe in loyalty and I’m not going to trample on his company’s name just because his son misled me.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
The guy I bought it from didn’t tell me it was broke until I complained about it crashing or doing weird **** all the time. I told him I needed to use stock, carded denture teeth when I bought it and he said I could but that most people like using his Pontic module workaround (he said hack, but apparently that’s getting some confusion here). I disregarded it since he never actually said it was broken. Then when I told him it was a dumpster fire module, he told me I was ignorant for trying to learn exocad without his help and that everyone knows the denture module is broken and called me ignorant (again) for even trying to use it.

the asshole also sold me an i500 scanner so I could do digital impressions and try to cut out my lab tech (who butchers most pour ups because god forbid she not mix the stone super dry and pour up impressions when it’s already half set) and then when I told him it didn’t do a very good job with edentulous scanning, he told me I’m supposed to take an impression using the patients old denture and then scan that outside the mouth. He had the audacity to tell me this despite knowing I already own a desktop scanner and didn’t need an i500 for something like that.

im going to leave his name out because despite him being an absolute douche, I met his father (owner of company) and he treated me well and was a very stand up guy every time I interacted with him.
I believe in loyalty and I’m not going to trample on his company’s name just because his son misled me.
you can use carded teeth, you cannot use EVERY carded tooth.
see here: https://exocad.com/fileadmin/secure_area/exocad_Full_Denture_Libraries_en.pdf
No, its a sponsor here so Im being coy. Although almost every manufacturer does similar, everyone is always moving on the the next game changer every couple years, leaving us in the zirconia dust..
ah so now self censorship is ok. interesting. when was the change of heart? i got ripped on this site over trying to 'protect' sponsors.

i feel like you should let fur fly and don't hold back. if they come and speak up and defend themselves, then we can be men. no?

C

caninecommando

Reaction score
Yes, I’m aware I can use carded teeth. My problem with the denture module is how poor the workflow is (waste lots of time compared to Pontic, etc),how frequently it bugs out and does stupid stuff that makes no sense, how it wastes my time identifying landmarks for placing teeth and then outright ignores those landmarks and then throws baby teeth in the front with giant spaces between them and then giant sized teeth in the posterior that are easily 5x too large. It’s so bad, I’d think someone was intentionally ****ing with me if that were actually possible.
It’s just generally terrible to use

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that is actually from placing the "buccal limit" in the wrong spot. exocad's dual arch full denture thing basically reverses the buccal limit plane. when you are placing it for the Upper, hide the upper, show the lower, place apropriately. and vice versa for placing the lower buccal limit.

i've goofed a few times with that.

C

caninecommando

Reaction score
I don’t get asked for buccal limit, so it’s obviously not that.
I think that’s only in the full marking option, I choose the abbreviated one because when I’ve used the full one it outright ignores my markings and places teeth 10 feet outside it anyway.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
here's videos i just made about setup. i had to switch to non generic library in the full denture setup, to get teeth that didn't go crazy with interference.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
caninecomando stop being a tight a55 and pay coolhand to show you how to do it .it will save you thousands.

C

caninecommando

Reaction score
Tight ass?
No one has asked me to pay them, so let me be super clear about where I’m at:

I need a gif of someone aggressively throwing money into someone’s face to accurately depict how I’m willing to address this problem.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
tenor.gif

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Tight ass?
No one has asked me to pay them, so let me be super clear about where I’m at:

I need a gif of someone aggressively throwing money into someone’s face to accurately depict how I’m willing to address this problem.
you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
CHL, No change of heart, Ive mentioned the situation elsewhere, Theyve tried to make it right, even sent me a box of free tools last week. My point was just generalizing the industry, without trashing a company I actually believe in, which is DOF. When I have a perfect experience with someone in this industry, I will let you know, hasnt happened yet.