Allergic Reaction

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
We made a Clearsplint night guard recently, it came back because the pt. had an allergic reaction to the material. Any recommendation for another material we could use?

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Is that an Astron splint?

We also do a light cured night guard, Dentsply Eclipse.

pdent

pdent

Reaction score
Yes, it's an Astron clearsplint.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Biolon 3mm by essix raintree

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Second jmn on the flexite. The flexite mp is clear and hard, exactly like a normal acrylic hard nightguard but monomer free. Have made several over the years.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Second jmn on the flexite. The flexite mp is clear and hard, exactly like a normal acrylic hard nightguard but monomer free. Have made several over the years.
Pretty sure the MP variant was still a low PMMA though, it's relineable with standard acrylics.
Am I in error?

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Pretty sure the MP variant was still a low PMMA though, it's relineable with standard acrylics.
Am I in error?
Would have to do a little digging on that, however it is what was recommended to me by flexite years ago as a hypoallergenic material.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
We made a Clearsplint night guard recently, it came back because the pt. had an allergic reaction to the material. Any recommendation for another material we could use?
Invest and cure it for 8 hours cool and divest to reduce residual monomer maybe is an option.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Thought clearsplint was ethylmethacrylate to avoid the monomer allergies.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thought clearsplint was ethylmethacrylate to avoid the monomer allergies.
You can be allergic to anything. I know someone who is allergic to one of the components in most hand sanitizers.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You can be allergic to anything. I know someone who is allergic to one of the components in most hand sanitizers.
Hope its not the booze part:oops:

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That would really stink. The rough part is she's a pharmacy tech, in a hood room.
Sounds like a good deal of contact dermatitis to me.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal of contact dermatitis to me.
Soap and water work fine if you know how to wash properly. Just have to keep moisturizer handy on off hours.

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
Invest and cure it for 8 hours cool and divest to reduce residual monomer maybe is an option.

Have you ever done that before? Reason I ask is we found if you let them cure under heat for a long time like that they would cloud up and turn a milky white color. We poured ours so not sure if that would make a difference or not though.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Have you ever done that before? Reason I ask is we found if you let them cure under heat for a long time like that they would cloud up and turn a milky white color. We poured ours so not sure if that would make a difference or not though.
No never done it. I have never had an allergy issue with the material. Its just how you reduce residual monomer if that is what is causing the allergy.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Just saying if you have to remake it anyway in another material investing in a flask is what a dollar worth of stone. worth a shot to not have a remake.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Maybe only two hours, or a lower heat. I don't know.