Align sues 3shape

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
This was so 3pm eastern time today. Where have you been?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i been out and about most of the day.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Does that mean the license fee is going to be even higher??? Not that it isn’t expensive already...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Not much of a response on 3Shapes part...we're going to defend ourselves, fire back, then just a lot of "who we are" talk.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit suspicious this may be more a patent troll we-want-some-revenue-and-don't-care-if-it's-ours-or-yours-SCO-type-nonsense than a real issue. It took them a few years to realize the Trios existed and infringed on their work? Scoff. Ah well. We'll find out in 4 or 5 years.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think trios was outselling their Itero friends. This could be a ploy to shift sales back to the nest.

Ya,like I'm smart enough to be a lawyer.:rolleyes:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think trios was outselling their Itero friends. This could be a ploy to shift sales back to the nest.

Ya,like I'm smart enough to be a lawyer.:rolleyes:
Smart enough maybe, morally challenged enough would be the decider.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
This whole scenario isn't much different that a dog peeing on a tree to mark his territory.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This whole scenario isn't much different that a dog peeing on a tree to mark his territory.
more like on the carpet
3 shape was opened to Invisalign just recently.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
This is because the ortho appliance module lawsuit didn't stick. Align has done 2 things recently - dropped ALL support of legacy itero units (which has caused quit a bit of uproar),and flexed their legal team power to drag 3Shape through the mud. Wait until Medit's IOS comes out, same thing will happen i bet. This is no different than a certain large Dental Lab in FL suing a ton of labs because someone has a patent on losswax pressing from CAD wax design..... LOL

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is because the ortho appliance module lawsuit didn't stick. Align has done 2 things recently - dropped ALL support of legacy itero units (which has caused quit a bit of uproar),and flexed their legal team power to drag 3Shape through the mud. Wait until Medit's IOS comes out, same thing will happen i bet. This is no different than a certain large Dental Lab in FL suing a ton of labs because someone has a patent on losswax pressing from CAD wax design..... LOL
Or as Linus Torvalds famously put it "They are smokin' crack"

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It was more a 'tongue in cheek' comment... should have aded a smilie ;):cool:
These companies are all in a power struggle with an army of lawyers.
Our fees will be heavily relied on for this battle.
More incentive for chairside fabrication.
we will lose

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Well at least this will take a ton of time.
Lawyers are never in a rush to solve anything.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well at least this will take a ton of time.
Lawyers are never in a rush to solve anything.
are you saying this could be a while before things are ..ahem..." straightened out" ?....:cool:

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score

I won't be surprised to see a lot more of those coming...they have a lot of patents on obsolete equipment and techniques...that was likely just the first salvo to get some much needed revenue after so many people left the company and it imploded...

the patent is on cutting back margins on milled wax copings to compensate for milling inaccuracies on 15 year old mills....lost wax was just the rest of the process....and they extrapolated to try and claim royalties on all margins cut back on all wax patterns.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I won't be surprised to see a lot more of those coming...they have a lot of patents on obsolete equipment and techniques...that was likely just the first salvo to get some much needed revenue after so many people left the company and it imploded...

the patent is on cutting back margins on milled wax copings to compensate for milling inaccuracies on 15 year old mills....lost wax was just the rest of the process....and they extrapolated to try and claim royalties on all margins cut back on all wax patterns.
did you get one too? lol what pieces of hoodoo