Air Compressor and Mill

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
So our freakin' air compressor is down again... I'm starting to think we should get a new one

To those of you with milling machines out there, what are you using? How often are you replacing parts? Did you use oil or ever thought of using an oil free unit?

I'm not concerned about cfm's or hp... i'm more concerned about low maintenance when run almost 24hrs 5 days a week.

Oh, and let me know if you're a milling centre or a regular lab with a mill.

Thanks!

Devon

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We have 2 milling machines we are a lab, but also service as an outsource lab for people to mill and print their products.

We run 2 Origin Milling Machines that are Origin 3000, and Origin 4000!

We have a Chicago Pneumatics Rotary Screw Air Compressor. It is a bad momba jomba! And we also have a Ingersoll Rand Compressor that is 13 years old as a back up.
Our hoss compressor runs 24/7 we never turn it off because we mill all weekend. This compressor runs the whole lab and the millers! It is a 120 gallon tank and 10hp oil free!

ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0097.jpg

Old betsy as a back up here
ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0098.jpg
ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0097.jpg ai1191.photobucket.com_albums_z465_Mizzle11_SAM_0098.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I just use the cheapest local air-pumps I can find. We wire them together to cut on/off together.

I keep an extra new one on stand-by. This is for Five mills. I stock parts to fix them myself.

I only pay $300-$500 per pump. Tyler goes big, and bought a Mac-Daddy $$ Pump. I went the other route.

I HAVE to have air 24/7 and cannot wait for weird parts for "special" pump.

You had compressor lock-up, or a stuck valve? (leaking air when compressor cuts off?)

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
If you have the money go oil free screw type compressor.
Available through Atlas Comco.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
It turns out it is a faulty valve... finally got the part today.

We are looking at an oil free air compressor now and will keep this one for backup. We don't need a massive one. Looking at a campbell hausfield standup unit (cause it's on sale for a deal)

I just use the cheapest local air-pumps I can find. We wire them together to cut on/off together.

I keep an extra new one on stand-by. This is for Five mills. I stock parts to fix them myself.

I only pay $300-$500 per pump. Tyler goes big, and bought a Mac-Daddy $$ Pump. I went the other route.

I HAVE to have air 24/7 and cannot wait for weird parts for "special" pump.

You had compressor lock-up, or a stuck valve? (leaking air when compressor cuts off?)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have Four extra valves on hand. I learned a trick to clean them now without replacing.

Also learned how to fix Jaeger Spindles recently. It's sooo easy!

Top Bottom