AGD Impact Article - The Changing Landscape of Dental Labs

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
BSB has their new digital denture module out now.. I still dont understand what dentist wants to or has time to design and produce their own dentures.. The Dr selling this as a solution doesnt even practice, so how practical is it.?
Dentists I know dont sit around figuring out how to make their own denture to save a buck. "Make a denture for only $30 per arch" *if you dont subtract your own value .. so if you spend an hour or two making a denture, youve wasted your earning potential and it probably costs the same as if someone else made it.. Again, just because it exists doesnt mean its a good idea.
I see Drs that want to figure out a way to scan a denture with their IOS or CT and print a new copy (which still doesnt produce a wearable denture).. this is a digital roadblock.. when you overlook that its easier and cheaper to dup a denture in alginate and acrylic. This is when you realize theyre trying to justify their purchases but dont understand their capabilities and limits.

Does anyone have Drs that would spend time consistently make their own dentures?
Yes, there are actually three locally.
One is effectively a denturist.
One is a younger dentist who actually likes to do lots of his own lab work,
-------------------------------------------------
and another is "a very precise fellow"
-------------------------------------------------

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'd say its not really about making your own dentures chair side; yes that may be the way it is currently marketed but this is new technology that did not previously exist, which only serves to augment those working to create actual solutions. another tool in the kit of denturists and denturism.

not the exclusive tool in the kit by any means.

what its practical purpose would be - instant chair side bite validation with rims. forego the initial impression phase and wash-impression that instant rim. now you have saved one appointment.

or perhaps you don't trust the digital capactiy to capture arch data, so you start with conventional impressions and bite rims and make a baseplate. what you have is now a tool to design a denture over the baseplate and glue them together.

theres lot of ways the practical applications will take this highly precise and advanced tool and bring it back from cutting edge tech down to the stone age and beat it to death.

some will say it makes a great air conditioner, keeps the door open in the summer.

why must you think this low cost advanced tool is a piece of junk when we havent yet found out how it will get used? maybe someone will use it to encapsulate an all on 4.

its nice to be skeptical, but as of right now there arent any being used. its a bit like waiting to find out how good Star Citizen will be. theres a lot of hype right now and not a lot of tangible results to draw from. i mean in fairness it seems like a pretty advanced and cool tool.

between people trying the BSB denture tool, and the rapid denture printer to be released in the fall, there will be probably a very large size of people either happy or not, before the end of the year.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I’m not saying it isn’t a useful tool.. and dont get me wrong (I never said it was junk),I love what BSB is doing and have even done some work with them.. just wondering what applications this has to the general dentist, and if this will change the way dentists do things, and for how long.. is it hype just following the 3D trend? A lot of Drs got rid of their cerecs too because they couldnt get results..

Yes many are perfectionists and do their own work, but many Drs cant or dont do dentures, and I dont seeing this being a fix, just another way to do it. It seems the point is not excellence in dentures , but saving money. Are Drs that hard up for money, or just trying to take the easy road? I realize they only work 3 days a week, so maybe they have time for lab work, but if I had that gig, I wouldnt be staring at a computer on my days off to save pennies in the grand scheme of a dental practice. Maybe if you do a huge volume of dentures or only dentures, but even then it seems faster/easier/cheaper to use economy dentures from a good lab than design your own.

Should I do a drop test with a printed denture and an ivocap denture just for fun?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
BSB has their new digital denture module out now.. I still dont understand what dentist wants to or has time to design and produce their own dentures.. The Dr selling this as a solution doesnt even practice, so how practical is it.?
Dentists I know dont sit around figuring out how to make their own denture to save a buck. "Make a denture for only $30 per arch" *if you dont subtract your own value .. so if you spend an hour or two making a denture, youve wasted your earning potential and it probably costs the same as if someone else made it.. Again, just because it exists doesnt mean its a good idea.
I see Drs that want to figure out a way to scan a denture with their IOS or CT and print a new copy (which still doesnt produce a wearable denture).. this is a digital roadblock.. when you overlook that its easier and cheaper to dup a denture in alginate and acrylic. This is when you realize theyre trying to justify their purchases but dont understand their capabilities and limits.

Does anyone have Drs that would spend time consistently make their own dentures?
Just Prosthos who set their own or "have someone" in house. I've yet to be impressed, and I'm frequently horrified.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying it isn’t a useful tool.. and dont get me wrong (I never said it was junk),I love what BSB is doing and have even done some work with them.. just wondering what applications this has to the general dentist, and if this will change the way dentists do things, and for how long.. is it hype just following the 3D trend? A lot of Drs got rid of their cerecs too because they couldnt get results..

Yes many are perfectionists and do their own work, but many Drs cant or dont do dentures, and I dont seeing this being a fix, just another way to do it. It seems the point is not excellence in dentures , but saving money. Are Drs that hard up for money, or just trying to take the easy road? I realize they only work 3 days a week, so maybe they have time for lab work, but if I had that gig, I wouldnt be staring at a computer on my days off to save pennies in the grand scheme of a dental practice. Maybe if you do a huge volume of dentures or only dentures, but even then it seems faster/easier/cheaper to use economy dentures from a good lab than design your own.

Should I do a drop test with a printed denture and an ivocap denture just for fun?
Drop test? Oh yes, please. I'll supply the nitroglycerin or guncotton for the landing zone at your option.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
....kinda like the self driving Tesla?

"just be intellectually honest about what youre doing"
tesla%20italy%20fire.jpg
That's a feature, not a bug. Keeps you warm and you can even cook with it.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

Currently the whole dog and pony show is in that awkward stage where practicality is a stretch.
But sooner or later most of us old farts will croak.
Then it'll have to work.
Unless they get real about visa workers.

I doubt anyone who can skillfully craft by hand will starve.

But I also doubt Drs will ever be the predominant users.
Maybe denturists... the majority I've met have loads of patient info crammed in their head, but can't fabricate their way out of a paperbag.
My take is a lopsided educational emphasis.

Top Bottom