AGD Impact Article - The Changing Landscape of Dental Labs

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier this month, the Academy of General Dentistry published an article titled, The Changing Landscape of Dental Labs in the AGD Impact Magazine. The article discussed the current state of the industry, the factors implacting consolidation of dental laboratories and the impact that these changes will have on dentists.

To read the full version of the article, visit http://nadl.org?oomi31 or CLICK HERE.

Continue reading...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this douche of a meatbag asks its readers to "Even if you are satisfied with your current dental laboratory, it pays to shop around and evaluate the competition ... “The technician should complete a few complimentary cases for you"

go get free work

message to labs. if you are good at something never do it for free.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
this douche of a meatbag asks its readers to "Even if you are satisfied with your current dental laboratory, it pays to shop around and evaluate the competition ... “The technician should complete a few complimentary cases for you"

go get free work

Even if you're happy with your current dentist, it pays to shop around. A dentist should be willing to do a complimentary cleaning and up to 3 filings to show you the quality of their work.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

go get free work

Same as it ever was. Lab's role is to somehow take the food out of their own kids mouths to make sure poor suffering doctor is made whole- no matter what.

It's a BS proposition.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Even if you're happy with your current dentist, it pays to shop around. A dentist should be willing to do a complimentary cleaning and up to 3 filings to show you the quality of their work.
Naw, they all have that little sign on the counter:
Pay upfront or get out...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
God save the good dentists.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Such a BS article...the writer should of put 42% of all dental restorations delivered to patients in the U.S. ARE MADE OVERSEAS!!!! Seems to me they are already shopping...in China!!! Also, it's a such a failed and misinformed article...think about it. You take 42% of the work out of the hands of dental techs....well no wonder only 700 one man labs exist anymore....duhhh!!! Lastly, you could place some blame for this on the Dentist and even to the ADA for letting insurance companies lower the payouts so much that they can't afford real U.S. dental technicians anymore.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I almost went off in one of the IOS forums on facebook (not TSC),a Dr posting how great his 11 unit zirconia case went that he milled and seated the next day... It only took him an hour he says.. 30 minutes to design 11 units, and another 15-30 minutes to polish. One small adjustment at seat..

Am I going crazy, because I feel like Im going crazy? I swear Im gonna lose it.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I almost went off in one of the IOS forums on facebook (not TSC),a Dr posting how great his 11 unit zirconia case went that he milled and seated the next day... It only took him an hour he says.. 30 minutes to design 11 units, and another 15-30 minutes to polish. One small adjustment at seat..

Am I going crazy, because I feel like Im going crazy? I swear Im gonna lose it.
Were there pics?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Here are some pics as posted by the Dr. I dont know why I have such a problem, it looks like a polished turd sure, but to hear people bragging or should I say BS'ing that they can produce a crown in 5 minutes working time. its a total lie.
32267298_2101880963175314_1187207610055524352_n.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
they are Great crowns because the doc has a sense of accomplishment in manufacturing; in the same way that homegrown home cooked meals always taste better than store bought food.

its a labour of love; and as with any amateur chef they are only now starting to learn you might need a bit more salt.

those effing things don't even look glazed and any technician worth his/her salt will know how to create character using stain and glaze - or in the case of the newer zirconia technology the micro layer kits from dentaurum and jensen and others.

i can't begrudge the dentist his/her work, but welcome to 2009 dr. maybe in a few years you'll get asked to make crowns for some other dr for free and get PO'd you don't make money on your units, by which time most of us techs will be dead or fired or let go.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Totally agree with you there. Im not even really sure why it irks me so much to watch our industry change, I was never really that fond of it anyways.

IMO the in-office 3D printers and mills will go the way of the drone.. Everyone has to have this fun, cool technology, but how many times can you film the roof of your house?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how many DDS are learning to do their own work. I have a really nice DDS who
also owns the lab at his office. He has 3 techs and himself. This guy has learned A TON of milling,designing etc.
He orders titanium and zirconia from me and tells me about all these intricate cases he's personally done.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
They used to do all of their own lab work. It's what separated them from the barber's and blood letter's.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I dont have a problem with them doing their own lab work, its so easy even a dentist can do it, just be intellectually honest about what youre doing.
6d89f0184f7876625e11a80fa81cdc50--dental-hygiene-dental-care.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
....kinda like the self driving Tesla?

"just be intellectually honest about what youre doing"
tesla%20italy%20fire.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
“The proliferation of advanced digital technology in recent years has made it challenging for smaller labs to compete with larger labs that can afford costlier new equipment,” said Stephen Balshi, MBE, chair of the Dental Technician Alliance of the American College of Prosthodontics and president/CEO of CM Prosthetics, Inc., a dental lab in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania.

This is utter bs.

Small labs can partner with any quality milling center and utilize the exact same equipment and technology as any factory lab.
My outsourceing costs are less than purchasing the equipment, purchasing inventory, and hiring someone to operate and maintain it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
BSB has their new digital denture module out now.. I still dont understand what dentist wants to or has time to design and produce their own dentures.. The Dr selling this as a solution doesnt even practice, so how practical is it.?
Dentists I know dont sit around figuring out how to make their own denture to save a buck. "Make a denture for only $30 per arch" *if you dont subtract your own value .. so if you spend an hour or two making a denture, youve wasted your earning potential and it probably costs the same as if someone else made it.. Again, just because it exists doesnt mean its a good idea.
I see Drs that want to figure out a way to scan a denture with their IOS or CT and print a new copy (which still doesnt produce a wearable denture).. this is a digital roadblock.. when you overlook that its easier and cheaper to dup a denture in alginate and acrylic. This is when you realize theyre trying to justify their purchases but dont understand their capabilities and limits.

Does anyone have Drs that would spend time consistently make their own dentures?

Top Bottom