Adding Contacts a Remake?

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Do you consider adding contacts to a fabricated crown that comes back to your lab a remake?

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Fabricated by your lab? I don't consider it a remake if it was made by us, or if it's just adding contacts.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
no charge for adding contacts if I fabricated the case, but if it is a frequent happening I'll discuss it with my account since this could be a temporization issue.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's your fault and don't let anyone talk you out of it!

doug

doug

Reaction score
I"m happy to add a contact on a crown we fabricate. The mouth is a dynamic environment and things move, temps suck and patients are inconsistent in keeping seat appts. If it's done by another lab, I won't do it, even if I know it's a monolithic emax, or full contour zirconia. That's just to big of a bite to take for little return. Please note my signature on every post. Edit for grammar

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I"m happy to add a contact on a crown we fabricate. The mouth is a dynamic environment and things move, temps suck and patients are inconsistent in keeping seat appts. If it's done by another lab, I won't do it, even if I know it's a monolithic emax, or full contour zirconia. That's just to big of a bite to take for little return. Please note my signature on every post. Edit for grammar
Agreed never fix a crown that you did not make.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Fabricated by your lab? I don't consider it a remake if it was made by us, or if it's just adding contacts.
Thank you, this is a question for reporting issues. One of our large accounts wants us to submit to them a report on remakes and I wanted to see what others considered a remake. I'll still ask them but now I can tell them that others in the industry do not consider it a remake.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Thank you, this is a question for reporting issues. One of our large accounts wants us to submit to them a report on remakes and I wanted to see what others considered a remake. I'll still ask them but now I can tell them that others in the industry do not consider it a remake.
Remake is when a crown has to be remilled, recast, or repressed.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Also in your report, make sure you write in if it was an impression/scan error, or a technician error. In their mind remake=lab's fault. impression/scan error will let them know that it was their own fault.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I know this has never ever happened, but I wonder how many questionable dentists have take out a perfectly good crown to have contacts added and told the patient that it had to be remade and charged for it. I'd say probably more than 5

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
This brings up an interesting point. I agree a return for a contact addition is not a remake but rather an adjustment. However, it is a miss and it's not good. The contact addition return is a disappointment to the patient, as they were expecting to be done, a loss of chair time to the dentist, an additional pickup, login, fix and delivery of a case you thought was done. Not charging (which I don't) likely results in just breaking even or loosing money on most returned cases. Certainly not as costly as a complete remake I calculate returns as 1/2 of a remake for internal use. DON'T repot these to the customer as requested. Getting returns out of the lab is an enormous time and or money savings.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
This brings up an interesting point. I agree a return for a contact addition is not a remake but rather an adjustment. However, it is a miss and it's not good. The contact addition return is a disappointment to the patient, as they were expecting to be done, a loss of chair time to the dentist, an additional pickup, login, fix and delivery of a case you thought was done. Not charging (which I don't) likely results in just breaking even or loosing money on most returned cases. Certainly not as costly as a complete remake I calculate returns as 1/2 of a remake for internal use. DON'T repot these to the customer as requested. Getting returns out of the lab is an enormous time and or money savings.
Not always a miss on the labs part sometimes it is just over adjusted.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Really, it's hard to argue that a crown that fits a well made, consistent model is the problem when the crown fits it, and the second pour, is the problem

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Really, it's hard to argue that a crown that fits a well made, consistent model is the problem when the crown fits it, and the second pour, is the problem
You are right, but for some reason in the drs mind remake=labs fault. Especially if they see it on paper.