ADA House resolution urges dental lab registration

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
New Orleans—The ADA is urging all state dental boards to register U.S. dental laboratories to enhance patient health and safety.

Continue reading...

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
From the article:

Some aspects CDP members looked at included:
• A state-maintained registry would provide assurance to a dentist and the public that the lab is compliant with any minimum standards that might be required by the state.
• Registration would elevate the profession by recognizing dental lab technicians as an integral part of the dental practice team. This recognition could lead to increased interest in dental lab technician educational programs, minimal education requirements and an assurance that high quality dental labs will be available in the future.
• Lab registration is the most cost-effective way to comply with any minimum standards, including infection control or required continuing education that might be required by a particular state.
• A registry would allow for clear communication channels between dental labs, dental manufacturers and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, should there be a recall on a dental material or equipment in response to a health or safety issue.
• The National Association of Dental Laboratories, the National Board for Certification in Dental Laboratory Technology and 76 percent of surveyed dental labs support the registration of dental laboratories.
Currently, seven states require dental labs to register with the state dental board: Florida, Kentucky, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Minnesota and Pennsylvania. Dental offices in those states have not reported any measurable increase in their operating costs as a result of registering dental labs.
"The fact that the ADA even took such a policy stand is a huge victory and cannot be overstated," said Henry Martin, 2013 NADL president.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't say this is a "huge victory" for the laboratory industry since the dentist still isn't required to disclose to the patient where the crown was made. Could have been made in China, Vietnam, Mexico, etc. As a patient I would want to know this.

Why would registration lead to "increased interest" in our profession? That just means you have to use more of your time dealing with red tape at your own expense. "Dental offices in those states have not reported any measurable increase in their operating costs"....Huh? I guess our time isn't worth anything.

I think registration has some benefits, but it could be more beneficial to US labs if a "country of origin" was a required disclosure to the patient by the dentist. Change this and I think it will have a positive effect on US labs.

Top Bottom