Acrylic designs

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I currently use a cutting burr to create most of my designs. (Butterfly, musical notes, hugs n kisses, etc) Does anyone use another process? I was wondering about air brushing, does anyone know anything about that for retainer designs? Though I do enjoy the challenge it gobbles up a lot of time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Trisha,
I have another copy of pics beside this one. These are the more popular ones chosen. There is a copy attached to the back fo my color guide when laminated that gives the picture selections for patients to chose from. I also copy anything they want off the web or a picture they provide, shrink it up and print it on inkjet transparencies. Transparencies can be gotten a stationary supply. I use the thinner type, easier to shape for fit to a model.
Using this method I can place logos of favorite teams or schools in appliances.
Musical notes and other goodies as well.
When placing in an appliance, I first apply a light layer of white acrylis as background. The white I use has opal sparkles in it for this purpose.
A sheet of transparencies cost? About a dollar per sheet. I charge $1.50 per picture placed, and $4.00 for custom pictures from the internet, or things like a musical note. Musical note is slightly common, so, like other common pictures I keep a separate page of those items. Like footbal and baseball logos. Then I just print out what I need. First time you go to obtain a picture from the web can take gobs of time, making profit zero. Keep the picture on a page, next one is 100% profit. (almost)
This is a shrunken to fit here copy of one of my pages. You want copies??? I'll mail you a cd, makes them useful for you then. Then you will have to figure out how to get them on and off your computer. Sounds tuff maybe, but, after you do it a few times it's money in the bank.

Also as an aside, I charge .85 for a single color, more for 2, 3, or 4 colors.
My few patterns I do I charge $4.00 ea. This offsets the cost of maintaining all those colors, and increases profit nicely. It goes something like $1000.00 per month increase in income, per 300 appliances.
Mike.
popular pics 2.jpg

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Thank you for the info Labdude! I do understand what you were saying about transfering to transparencies, that is what I have done when the dr. wants the pt. name in the acrylic. I do offer a few stickers to a couple of dr.s but the kids around here rarely request the stickers.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Usually if the kids want stickers they will find their own and supply them I dont "officially" offer stickers, but I dont discourage their use either. But I like the transparency idea though, Labdude.

I will take pictures of my "set-up" for Polka dots, they are pretty popular.
All the designs on the RetainerDesigner.com website are cut into the acrylic while the acrylic is still wet. I call it one-step designs because I dont have to use a bur and add acrylic in a second step. I have video of this and will post it when I can edit it.

As far as bur use I think it is called a no.8 bur (?) or half-round. I lso use a fissure bur, and cutting bur, for detailed work.

I would like to expirement with Air-brushing too!
I did experiment with acrylic fingernail polish once, worked pretty good. I will post a pic if I can find my camera.

Cade

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I still don't get how you guys make the designs in one step? I would like to see it on video. I know that you tried to explain it to me labdude, but I still don't get it. I am more of a visual hands on learner{interpretation }not so bright.