Accepting digital files from Doctors

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have a few doctors wanting to get into the digital impression systems EVENTUALLY... My question is setting up an easy way for them and myself to accept their files. I was curious if and how some of you were doing this. Not sure if there is a " one click" solution but something minimal.

Thanks,
Jason

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
I've used a windows folder on their desktop that's simply a shortcut to our FTP server. Drag and drop.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
minimal user interfacing can be done, but it takes a LOT of careful planning, and preparation, and know-how. its a headache to set up primarily due to the old saying which rings truer and truer no matter how hot and blonde and boobarific the hygenists and secretaries are for your dentist: when you think you've got a fool-proof system they go and make a better fool.

no matter how easy it is to use, its not. you will have to come down and show the bimbos in the office how to use it, and do the technicianry. all so you get better digis.

makes my stomach lurch.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks Jay and Luke. So basically I need to set up a FTP site and set up a drag and drop system kind of like Filzilla? Which will send it to me? Sounds like a plan.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score

Last edited:
JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Thanks Jay and Luke. So basically I need to set up a FTP site and set up a drag and drop system kind of like Filzilla? Which will send it to me? Sounds like a plan.

Keep it simple and use the Operating System interface. No need to get "yet another software to learn" like Filezilla involved. For example, did you know that you can open up a windows explorer window and type in the address bar something like, "ftp://ftppc.nicely.com/IncomingFiles" and windows explorer will try to open the site as it has an ftp client built in? Make it a shortcut and the user experience stays non-threatening. It's just what they're already used to.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ahhhh.. Thanks Jay! Not terribly
Familiar with windows in that way
So that will help tremendously.
B&D Dental and Diadem have a really nice set up. Not sure what program they r using but it is really easy and self explanatory to the user. I am sure several other facilities use it. I may also look into something like that but I am just trying to keep costs down etc.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"ftp://ftppc.nicely.com/IncomingFiles"

Thats probably the easiest way IF it works for your ftp server.

It dosent with mine! so youll have to try that and see.

IE stores the un/passwords in some kind of cache which causes problems with file transfer on ours, although you can browse fine.

Works fine with a free ftp client but like already said, another software for the IT fobics to learn.

Another way is set up a secure area with an ftp portal on your website. There are a number of free scripts around for doing this, but there not that easy to set up.

From the users end though, this could be very simple AND it has the added benefit that it drives clients to your website, which gives you the oppertunity to market at the same time ;)

If any one has any other end user simple ways then id love to hear also.

Last edited:
JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
"ftp://ftppc.nicely.com/IncomingFiles"
Thats probably the easiest way IF it works for your ftp server.

The address used has nothing to do with the ftp server. It's only used by the ftp client. The quoted address above is purely hypothetical. You'll need a real ftp server with valid path to test.

IE stores the un/passwords in some kind of cache which causes problems with our website.

Not IE, Windows Explorer.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
So how do you go about setting up an individual un/pw for each client?

Or do you just have one ftp upload address that you allow every user to upload to, but dont give them the ability to browse?

This is where ours starts running into probs, with the un and pw.

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
That's handled in the server administration. You can tell a good server that whenever a particular user authenticates, they have access to one particular directory and all it's children. Nothing else. So set up a directory structure, one for each client, and an authentication scheme which allows access to their own folders and no others.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That's handled in the server administration. You can tell a good server that whenever a particular user authenticates, they have access to one particular directory and all it's children. Nothing else. So set up a directory structure, one for each client, and an authentication scheme which allows access to their own folders and no others.

I do this for pictures sometimes when the Doc tries to send 50MB of pictures in one email...HA!!!!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
OK that makes sense, thanks.

I guess you still need to set the folder up on each cleints pc though,

so an intergrated web portal is really the only way to set things up without having to mess with clients pc's.

neila

neila

Reaction score
Diadem uses Magic Touch Software. It an all in program for running production, CRM and everything in between. They have a web module already in place that can be added to any labs website that will handle everything from scheduling pickups, reprinting invoices, statements and much more. The Dr can upload pics to a case or send a digital file.
We have been using the same software for a while now and love it.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Diadem uses Magic Touch Software. It an all in program for running production, CRM and everything in between. They have a web module already in place that can be added to any labs website that will handle everything from scheduling pickups, reprinting invoices, statements and much more. The Dr can upload pics to a case or send a digital file.
We have been using the same software for a while now and love it.

The easiest and best way to do it, is to get a Cadent and lava COS liscense and take the cases the right way, and with the full support of the companies that provide the services. We get the scans, export them to 3Shape and mill them.

Gary Bagharis MagicTouch Software will do NOTHING with a digital impression file as far as production goes. We use some of it here too.

neila

neila

Reaction score
I never said his software did anything from a production point of view, if I am not mistaken the question was if there was an easy 1 step solution to accept a digital file. Magic Touch Software has an interface that allows one to fill in a digital prescription and attach the digital file. The only production that it helps with is that the case is in your system and does not have to be recreated from a data entry point of view.
I agree that Cadent is easy from a Dr upload point of view, pity they control the file and keep it closed, yes I know you can export to 3-shape, but I want to make my own model Thanks, and I also would like to have access when the Dr hits send, not the next day.
I know you use CRM Mark so you have access to the web module, it has to have some attraction for your business, or are you going to wait for Jenmar to come out with there solution?

G

GaryB

Magic Touch Software
Reaction score
The easiest and best way to do it, is to get a Cadent and lava COS liscense and take the cases the right way, and with the full support of the companies that provide the services. We get the scans, export them to 3Shape and mill them.

Gary Bagharis MagicTouch Software will do NOTHING with a digital impression file as far as production goes. We use some of it here too.

Mark,
Our DLCPM product was released over 2 years ago which completely replaces our CRM package. If you recall, I had offered to walk you through our new system a few times before and the offer is still good.

Our DLCPM (Dental Lab Customer & Production Management) includes variety of features including complete integration with UPS/FedEx, several Credit Card processing Merchants such as Marathon, First Data Global, and Authorize.Net, Mobile Applications, and Customer Portal. We actually provide 4 types upload thru the customer portal and many Labs such as Diadem, B&D, Colonial, CAP, and others have been using it to receive their case and digital files and most importnantly provide 24 hour service to their customers to View & Track Cases, make credit card payment, setup their own preferences, schedule a pickup with shipment Label, send notes and comments, order supplies, re-print Invoice and Statements, and more.

We have also added the UDX format Import & Export which to my knowledge, 3-Shape is the only one that has adopted this universal format. Our latest release next month is adding the Automation Server where it automatically adds the case from the UDX export format.

Our DLCPM Overview sessions are free and you are welcome to request your personalized session at any time by sending email to [email protected].

Thank you;

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Mark,
Our DLCPM product was released over 2 years ago which completely replaces our CRM package. If you recall, I had offered to walk you through our new system a few times before and the offer is still good.

Our DLCPM (Dental Lab Customer & Production Management) includes variety of features including complete integration with UPS/FedEx, several Credit Card processing Merchants such as Marathon, First Data Global, and Authorize.Net, Mobile Applications, and Customer Portal. We actually provide 4 types upload thru the customer portal and many Labs such as Diadem, B&D, Colonial, CAP, and others have been using it to receive their case and digital files and most importnantly provide 24 hour service to their customers to View & Track Cases, make credit card payment, setup their own preferences, schedule a pickup with shipment Label, send notes and comments, order supplies, re-print Invoice and Statements, and more.

We have also added the UDX format Import & Export which to my knowledge, 3-Shape is the only one that has adopted this universal format. Our latest release next month is adding the Automation Server where it automatically adds the case from the UDX export format.

Our DLCPM Overview sessions are free and you are welcome to request your personalized session at any time by sending email to [email protected].

Thank you;

For simple file sending that software is way too complex and expensive.

Just create a shortcut to an ftp link, that's probably easiest. You can 'map a network drive' within windows that leads to the FTP and store the users login info so it looks like a standard drive on the computer, but allows them to drag files in and upload to your server easily without loading any software.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I am about to do an online demo with evident. They have a portal where doctors can send me digital files etc and incorporate it into my lab management software. Talking without seeing it yet so may be a little different than what I stated. I need all new lab software as well.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Mark,

We have also added the UDX format Import & Export which to my knowledge, 3-Shape is the only one that has adopted this universal format. Our latest release next month is adding the Automation Server where it automatically adds the case from the UDX export format.Thank you;

Thanks Gary. We have been in the middle of some very big projects here, and I just don't want to tackle anything as big as a software change at this time. If things go as I hope, we'll be thinking about a major network upgrade and will consider all our options at that time.

We use CRM every day and have been very happy with it as far as I know.