Accept Itero to 3Shape?

ArtOrthoWendy

ArtOrthoWendy

Reaction score
Hi! small lab here ,

We just purchased our 3shape scanner after months of research and decision making. We have a lot of doctors now purchasing utero scanners after talking to invisalign.
From what I can find out, the 3shape software can work on these files but the problem is receiving them. I'm told the doctors can send in the scans through the itero account and receive the back converted and them be able to send them to us. Another option it to pay and create and utero account?
Is there another or more simple way to receive these files? Is something like drop box possible?
I am trying to make less work for our doctors so I'd like to get around the option of them having to upload them to be converted and sent back.
Any info would be much appreciated , we are very new to this 3D scanning world!
Thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the itero file format cannot be read by any other system than itero, so simply drop-boxing them would not provide you a solution to being able to work on the files, aside from selling your services as a data archiving center.

you have 3 options.

1. call iTero and create a free account. they will give you a login to their site, and set you up as a 'lab' where 'doctors/clinics' can send files. at that point its up to your doc to call iTero and have his iTero 'link' to your 'lab' account. then you will begin to see the web portal populate with iTero cases once the team in israel finishes marking margins and ditching dies. you will have no control over the margin marking, but you will be able to call Itero if there are any changes that need to be made - if any.

2. you do 1, but you opt to pay itero their fee so that you can mark the margin the way you want. this is in my very humble opinion not worth it.

3. you call your 3shape provider and pay for the Model Builder module that allows you to make iTero models. this will mean you can DISABLE model ordering in the iTero Rx, in lieu of making your own models.

any way you slice it, iTero Israel team has to touch the scans before you get your hands on case data.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Basically, here are your options. You can be a:

1. External Lab. Costs $300. You pay shipping and handling of models. No ability to mark margins, or get STL file, and you are charged $5 for shipping and handling. Base case fee for a quadrant is $23.

2. Partner Lab-On Line. Costs $3000. You have Itero Viewer Software and on line Access. $5 shipping and handling on models. $5 STL fee. Base case quadrant is $21.

3. Itero Lab Cad Station and Lab Software. Costs $7500. Base case quadrant $18. No shipping charges and no STL fees. Can edit margins.

These fees could have changed since the info I got is pretty old. Could be cheaper...but I doubt it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yup as stated AbBove, either become tier 2 or tier 3 with itero to be able to export to 3shape then simply import itero exports into 3shape.

If I were you a small lab with only one or two docs on itreo and not a lot of work coming via itero, start of scanning in itero models, sounds silly but are you willing to spend the tier 2 cost to get digital files? If so then get the tier 2 level with itero and your good.

We are tier 3 have iteo mill the model while we design the units ahead of time.

ArtOrthoWendy

ArtOrthoWendy

Reaction score
the itero file format cannot be read by any other system than itero, so simply drop-boxing them would not provide you a solution to being able to work on the files, aside from selling your services as a data archiving center.

you have 3 options.

1. call iTero and create a free account. they will give you a login to their site, and set you up as a 'lab' where 'doctors/clinics' can send files. at that point its up to your doc to call iTero and have his iTero 'link' to your 'lab' account. then you will begin to see the web portal populate with iTero cases once the team in israel finishes marking margins and ditching dies. you will have no control over the margin marking, but you will be able to call Itero if there are any changes that need to be made - if any.

2. you do 1, but you opt to pay itero their fee so that you can mark the margin the way you want. this is in my very humble opinion not worth it.

3. you call your 3shape provider and pay for the Model Builder module that allows you to make iTero models. this will mean you can DISABLE model ordering in the iTero Rx, in lieu of making your own models.

any way you slice it, iTero Israel team has to touch the scans before you get your hands on case data.

Thank you for the great detailed info , that helped a lot

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Or you can have your dentist go on their myaligntech page and export the scan file for you selecting the 3shape output option and Dropbox the folder to you and simply import it into your 3shaoe.

This is what I did with my doc next door when he first go his itero. He gave me his password and I did it myself. We trust each other and not much you can hack in the site. I just logged on to export scans as i needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Or you can have your dentist go on their myaligntech page and export the scan file for you selecting the 3shape output option and Dropbox the folder to you and simply import it into your 3shaoe.

This is what I did with my doc next door when he first go his itero. He gave me his password and I did it myself. We trust each other and not much you can hack in the site. I just logged on to export scans as i needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That's the easiest way. Train an assistant to take care of that step.

D

dentaldood

Reaction score
I recently talked to Itero and they said there was a cost in producing an STL file. That was the case for Option 2- however Option 3 there was no cost for the production of an STL file. Do these fees apply for doctors who set up their intraoral scanner?

Recently talked to a doctor who uses Itero and we're looking into getting into this, however paying the fee when we're unsure if we'd even have the client base seems pretty risky. Anyone have any suggestions?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
none of those fees apply to doctors at all. once the case is done and sent to production, Align controls the data. not the doctor.

but a doctor with some know-how, will be able to download their own case to distribute to a lab using the above method outlined by sevan.

D

dentaldood

Reaction score
none of those fees apply to doctors at all. once the case is done and sent to production, Align controls the data. not the doctor.

but a doctor with some know-how, will be able to download their own case to distribute to a lab using the above method outlined by sevan.

I'm not acquainted with this software at all, so forgive me if I seem a little informed but...

If the doctor were to use an intraoral scanner to create a new file, the next step for them would just be to export the STL? Or is there a step where the margins would need to be made before that option was available?

I'm currently talking to a doc who uses Itero and wants to send us his work. Just trying to make it happen!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
with iTero specifically, the scans are done and the data is automatically sent to Align technologies, who then sends it to one of their several offices around the globe. at this centre the data is trimmed, margins are marked, and then the case is sent to the corresponding laboratory for either approval/rejection, or for managing bite and marking the case with the correct local material (so you get to call it whatever your brand name is for this case),and at this stage it will depend what level of relationship you have with Align, because you may be able to 'export' the case with respect to one of several different formats fitting various systems.

so align controls your ability to receive cases, and controls your ability to use data. pay them enough and you will have full margin marking control (not that its hugely problematic).

with other intraoral scanners its not like this.

D

dentaldood

Reaction score
I ended up receiving the files from the Doc. They exported it using the 3Shape option and everything went pretty smoothly until I checked the margins on one of them. One side was flat on the gingiva so its kinda hard to tell where the margin exactly is.

Am I missing a step here that might have had the die more refined? Or should I be trimming the die a bit in 3Shape to where I can work with it?

Thanks again for the help. You've been more of an asset than any rep I have talked to on the matter.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, i get that all the time too. its a lack of tissue management on the part of the dds. have them pack a cord, same as taking an impression. this will pull the tissue away from the margin and make it better defined to see it correctly. assuming the cord doesnt overhang the margin you should have no problems.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
no, i get that all the time too. its a lack of tissue management on the part of the dds. have them pack a cord, same as taking an impression. this will pull the tissue away from the margin and make it better defined to see it correctly. assuming the cord doesnt overhang the margin you should have no problems.
Luke, if you import iTero into 3Shape do you have the option to import by xmlzip? If so doesn't that have the separate dies from the model stl after Aligntech marks the margins?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
to import from itero you can either create an order and import each scan manually (and lose the align margin) or as sevan previously demonstrated import using Ctrl+I and checking the box marked "Itero Order Import" and not lose the align margin.

the two methods more or less allow you to work around faulty margin marking by align, without calling them and having them re-mark it if you see its wrong, and then going through the export/import process all over again.

it also allows you flexibility when it comes to making models, because if you don't need models then the first option works; if you do need models you can bypass the iTero models completely and make your own, using the second option.

edit: but this will depend what modules you have in your 3shape, there is an Itero module and an all-scans module and im not clear on which one was the one that was needed to make this happen, but i bet its the itero module and not the all scans - because all scans is a model builder module.

Last edited:
D

dentaldood

Reaction score
I tried both methods and the margins seem to be the same either way I look at it.

Also when referring to having models, are you suggesting receiving models from Itero? Or by 3d printing your own.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
making your own, dood.