A Series of Guidelines for Moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I originally didn't want to make this forum, as I generally dont like the idea "behind closed doors". I prefer things to be out in the open and up for discussion. This forum is open for public viewing, any member will be able to read the threads in this forum, however it is not open for public posting. Only moderators, super moderators and administrators will be able to post on this board. However, be sure to remember that everything you post here will be under the scrutiny of the community.

MODERATORS
  • As a moderator, your primary responsibility is NOT to discipline other members. Your primary responsibility is to organize information and to manage your area so that members will find it easier to retrieve information.
SUPER MODERATORS
  • Super Moderators are the disciplinarians of the forums. Anyone causing trouble will have to answer to them. Super Moderators have access to the entirety of the forums and are able to give any user an infraction if required. It is your chief responsibility to make registered users as happy to be here as you are. I also ask, that as a super moderator, you do everything you can to make a user's stay as pleasant as possible: answer their questions and say hello to them in introduction threads.
ADMINISTRATORS
  • The only people who should be banning anyone, outside of the infraction system. The buck stops here. If you feel a member needs to be banned, please contact an administrator; even as a super moderator, you should not be banning anyone.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
USER INFRACTION LEVELS

USER INFRACTION LEVELS

This forum has an infraction system. As a moderator, in any forums you have moderation powers over, you will see a yellow and red card icon on the top right of each post. (next to the Report Post and IP Info icons) Clicking on the infraction icon will bring up a new page with infraction levels. In the first block, you will see the infraction history for that specific user, how many active infraction points they have, and how many they have recieved in total during their lifetime of their account. You will also see the number of warnings they have recieved, and the possible groups they can be put into for recieving infraction points.

In the next block you will see possible infractions you can assign for that specific post. Each infraction has a total number of points that infraction is worth, the length of days that the infraction stays on their account before it expires, and the option to turn the infraction into a 0 point warning. Any infraction you give to a member through the yellow and red infraction icon will be linked to that specific post. If you want to give a user a general infraction that is unrelated to any specific post, view their user profile and click the Infractions tab on their account. You will also be able to see past infractions through this tab.

Signature Rule Violation - 1 point - 3 months

• Originally, the purpose of this infraction was for people who made signatures that were simply too large or with obscene graphics. With the new signature rules that limit the size and use the signature, this may be an outdated infraction level. I highly doubt we should ever have a need to award this infraction to any users. This infraction is not related to any post, so please submit it through the infractions tab on that user's profile.
General Trolling, Insulted Other Member(s)- 4 points - 3 months

• Trolls, love em or hate em, they exist. It is important to know who a troll is and who isn't. If a member makes a joke thread about the gigantic size of another member's penis, that isn't exactly trolling; especially when the said member who owns said penis is joining in on the jokes and having fun. A good rule of thumb: unless someone is offended by the post, its not trolling. Never give an infraction to a member because you think someone could find it offensive. If any arguement starts over the post, they yes, you can now define it as trolling. If someone reports the post, then yes, you can define it as trolling. Lets not practice in pre-crime.
Flashchat Trolling Malfeasance - 4 points - 3 months

• We have a flashchat! Unfortunately that means members are able to talk to each other in real time. With faster paced conversations, Goodwin's Law of Internet Dynamics can come into effect. As well, some members may purposely do everything they can to ruin the experience of other members inside the flashchat. I want moderators to be much harsher on flashchat trolls than forum trolls. This infraction is not related to any post, so please submit it through the infractions tab on that user's profile.
Multiple Account Trolling - 5 points - 3 months

• There is no reason a user should EVER need to have more than one account. However, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances where a user can no longer access their primary account, and thus create a new account. This is not trolling, so its not worth any infractions. Send them a PM, tell them that we can recover their account and tell them to contact me. I will recover their account, and merge both of their accounts into a single account. This is not trolling, so its not worth any infractions. However, should a member's account be put into the probationary group or the banned group (2 week ban),they may create new accounts. This is unacceptable, they have earned their punishment and they must sit it through. By creating a second account, both accounted will be merged into a single account and they will earn 5 more infraction points that will extend their punishment.
Spammed Advertisements - 5 points - 3 months

• If a user wants to promote their new website on the general forums or their signature, let them. However, if they are going through all the forums to promote their website, they are spamming. This is an infraction strictly for active members who are constructive members of the community. This is not an infraction for advertisement bots. Close the threads they have created, but do not under any circumstances delete those posts. I will need to retrieve information within those posts, and I will delete them after I have reviewed them.
If you are a super moderator, you will see an additional option for a Custom Infraction where you can define an infracton that has not been predefined and award a total number of points said infraction will be worth. You can also define how long the infraction points will stay with that account, but for a baseline, let us continue to keep it as 3 months for all infractions. There is also an option to instantly award 20 points and move the user to the banned group for 2 weeks. Once again, do not use this function for advertisement bots.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
USER INFRACTION GROUPS

USER INFRACTION GROUPS

Well now that I have explained what each infraction does, and how many points each infraction is worth, you may be wondering what the points mean. Its actually pretty simple, whenever points are award to an account, or removed from an account, the infraction system will automatically check requirements for user infraction groups and move that user into each group as needed. Right now, only two groups are defined:

Probationary Users - 10 Points
  • The moment a user reaches 10 active infraction points, they will be turned into a probationary user. Infraction points have expiration dates, so when their points start expiring and they drop below 10 points, they will be put back into their original group. As a probationary user, they have restricted rights on the forums. They may continue responding to threads, but they will be unable to post new threads, vote on polls, display an avatar or signature, upload attachments, set themselves to invisible, use custom titles, create social groups, upload album pictures, or use the FlashChat.
Banned Users - 20 Points - 2 Weeks
  • It should be hard for any member to actually reach 20 points in a single moment. Usually, at this point, the user would have already been in the probationary usergroup and would be acting civil in efforts to get out of the dog house. The only way a person should ever reach this group is if they are intentionally trying to cause problems for other members, even after they have been put on probation. However, should a member each 20 points, they will automatically be placed in the Banned Users group for a full 2 weeks. Even after they drop below 20 points as their points expire, they will not be removed from this group. They must serve their time for no less than 2 weeks. Since all infractions expire after 3 months, when they come back 14 days later, they should be starting anew with 0 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.