3Shape weird behavior

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
So, this is happening. A handfull of times a day dental manager will freak out and reset all the columns and stop working right. Also, the whole system gets a spinning "thinking" cursor every 30 seconds or so for about 5 seconds. There is an increase in other weird errors as well. Things not saving correctly or showing weird status. It's very strange.

What's even weirder is that this is what was happening about 4 months ago that prompted me to buy a new server computer and do a fresh install of 3shape.

Any ideas? Maybe run the installer to repair any corruption issues?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Never seen that before, you could try to do a install over the current and see what happens. What version?

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
We're on 2018.2. Any downside or risks to running the install again?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We're on 2018.2. Any downside or risks to running the install again?

Nope everything should be finde and still where it needs to be, unless you altered any original 3shape files like the stock zr and wax material. Those will all be reset to defaults.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
what about all my .dme files. That's the biggest pain to have to fix if those go away or get reset. I know I can export them and then re-import, but that doesn't work for all the implant stuff.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
what about all my .dme files. That's the biggest pain to have to fix if those go away or get reset. I know I can export them and then re-import, but that doesn't work for all the implant stuff.
Zip up your c:3Shape Configuration folder and svae it in a save place. Then you have your entire CP backed up 100%. If server install and pc name changes once you replace with your backed up you simply need to make sure the pc name in the network paths are changed to the new name in you re install windows if same name no changes needed.

If standalone install then just simply replace.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So, this is happening. A handfull of times a day dental manager will freak out and reset all the columns and stop working right. Also, the whole system gets a spinning "thinking" cursor every 30 seconds or so for about 5 seconds. There is an increase in other weird errors as well. Things not saving correctly or showing weird status. It's very strange.

What's even weirder is that this is what was happening about 4 months ago that prompted me to buy a new server computer and do a fresh install of 3shape.

Any ideas? Maybe run the installer to repair any corruption issues?

View attachment 32500
What is the same between this pc and the prior pc. Aside from the dongke and scannnner

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
we've got quite a large set up. 3 3shape scanners and a medit, 7 Design stations, 3 computers in the mill room also have 3shape on them. All of that is the same as well as all the associated network stuff - switches, cables, servers...

Makes it fun to troubleshoot.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
Zip up your c:3Shape Configuration folder and svae it in a save place. Then you have your entire CP backed up 100%. If server install and pc name changes once you replace with your backed up you simply need to make sure the pc name in the network paths are changed to the new name in you re install windows if same name no changes needed.

If standalone install then just simply replace.
ok, just to be clear, the order of operations would be:

1. copy configuration folder and save someplace safe
  2. re-run the installer over the current installation on the server
  3. replace the newly created configuration folder with the backed up configuration folder
  4. enjoy system that looks and acts just like before but hopefully without errors

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
ok, just to be clear, the order of operations would be:

1. copy configuration folder and save someplace safe
  2. re-run the installer over the current installation on the server
  3. replace the newly created configuration folder with the backed up configuration folder
  4. enjoy system that looks and acts just like before but hopefully without errors
Copying the configuration folder is only when you wipe the system totally clean, re install windows or transfer to a new pc. For a install over no need. Just install over current. Nothing will change.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
Well, the reinstall went smoothly. Everything is where I left it (so far). But, the problem isn't fixed. Same pausing, spinning, weirdness.

Maybe I run the windows installer to repair my windows installation and see if that either fixes things or makes them worse.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Just do a backup before you run the installer. It should give you that option. That way your support can help you if it does in fact loose everything, but it shouldn't. It will just factory reset to order forms etc.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
We have the same issue on our 18.2 installation. We were informed by 3Shape that only one other lab (must be you) in the world has this issue. To clarify, this is both the collapsing columns (which are tied to an error about "not enough timers available") and the constant refreshing/spinning cursor. They (3Shape) have confirmed this issue, and stated they are looking into a cause/solution. So, don't bother trying to fix it yourself, it is a programming issue - and nothing you do (short of installing a different version of 3Shape) will solve this.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
well, we had this when we were running 2017 as well. Interesting that no one else is seeing it. I wonder what it is about our set ups.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
We had a similar issue with 2017 as well. My opinion is that this is common across much more than just the two of our setups, it just isn't that huge of an impact - so people are not complaining. We have a much smoother experience with 18.2 than 17.3, when 17.3 would do the spinning circle (refreshing dental manager) it would take much longer before you could use it again. We have also trimmed our materials, dme's, implant libraries, and smile libraries, as well as closing all orders after 14 days and archiving after 30 - with only 200 orders being shown in DM (pretty much every suggestion given by 3Shape or the resellers). I am not 100% if the newer version or all the cleaning up we did made the bigger difference to performance. But, I would suggest going through and cleaning your system out while we wait for the next 3Shape version that might correct these issues, while also bringing on the new issues.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
yeah, that's what I've been doing. Stream lining everything. I added more ram since I was getting "out of resource" errors, but it seems the same as before.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
yeah, that's what I've been doing. Stream lining everything. I added more ram since I was getting "out of resource" errors, but it seems the same as before.
Unfortunately the out of resources, index out of bounds, and no available timers errors are all related to programming issues, and there is probably nothing the end user can do to correct these. No amount of RAM will correct bad code. We are stuck waiting for an update from 3Shape.
If you have not, please contact your reseller and 3Shape support directly about this issue. The more reports, the more seriously they will take this.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

About a month ago I had an error and couldn't start a scan after I had filled out a order form. I can't remember what the error said, but support said it happens after one of the files gets full (Program files?). She duplicated it and renamed it with a 1, and now no issues. Definitely call support, it could be an easy fix?

edit: but I suppose with your doing a un-install, re-install may not apply, as that folder would be "new" and not clogged up and full.

Last edited: