3shape vs exocad

A

afrigs

Reaction score
Have you tried to contact the respective Headquarters? Maybe they have studies and papers available. Exocad is part of Align (iTero and Invisalign) and 3Shape is its own company. I'd start there. Also, there are plenty techs having both programs, I guess just ask what you wan to know (and be specific...). And then there are Facebook groups etc etc.
I've sent a LOT of emails but I didn't have an answer. Only 3Shape did, but they treated me like a child tho

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like you already have more than you think.. Are you comparing software features or business models.. The features are like splitting hairs, but they are 2 very different companies. In all my time on this forum, Ive never seen a rep from either here, correct me if im wrong. Ive used both for 7-8 years and there are + and - for both.. Like I always say, they should join forces and make something next level before a dentsply or glidewell ruins them.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows ones better than the other, there’s just no agreement on which one...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well for starters, exocad will let you demo the software to learn. very handy for education centers and resellers who give exocad classes. 3shape doesn't do that to my knowledge, and are trying to actively phase out design by pushing clinics to their AI solution.

other than that it is my view that the softwares are mostly equal in terms of functionality apart from 3shape which has a suite of ortho tools for not merely splints but aligners, and braces. exocad being owned by Align, does not. probably will not.

both have implant planning, both have model making for 3d printing, both rely on stacked geometries to use as representative parts of the implant geometry, and exocad's implant planning is an FDA approved medical device all by itself, so the geometries are rigorously vetted which means for Americans anyhow, the geometry libraries must be fda cleared before install.

3shape tries to sell you a scanner, exocad doesn't care what scanner you have.
both are Software as a Service applications. you don't pay, you don't use the software, simple as that. you stop paying 3shape today, you stop using your software immediately. you stop paying exocad, you won't be allowed access to the next update (or install new libraries) until you re-up.

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
3shape will provide a demo of the software. You need to reach out to a reseller to get a demo dongle and schedule install/over view.
Also, 3shape does have a perpetual license model, its call Basic Package. This is a no subscription model were you can continue using the software. New users choose which model, existing users can switch to Basic. This has been an option for the last several years.

A

afrigs

Reaction score
3shape will provide a demo of the software. You need to reach out to a reseller to get a demo dongle and schedule install/over view.
Also, 3shape does have a perpetual license model, its call Basic Package. This is a no subscription model were you can continue using the software. New users choose which model, existing users can switch to Basic. This has been an option for the last several years.
Can I have access to the 3Shape software without paying? I had a meeting with them (the demo) where they just explained me how the software works, that's it. I'd like to try it to know more about it so I can compare both Exocad and 3Shape programs in my thesis

A

afrigs

Reaction score
Sounds like you already have more than you think.. Are you comparing software features or business models.. The features are like splitting hairs, but they are 2 very different companies. In all my time on this forum, Ive never seen a rep from either here, correct me if im wrong. Ive used both for 7-8 years and there are + and - for both.. Like I always say, they should join forces and make something next level before a dentsply or glidewell ruins them.
I am comparing how both softwares work, which one can be better in terms of design, which one is easier or more intuitive, what limitations they have, costs...

A

afrigs

Reaction score
Does anyone know some limitations that Exocad has but not 3Shape and viceversa?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Does anyone know some limitations that Exocad has but not 3Shape
Everyone has an opinion but it comes down to what you like best in your hands and cost. The best thing you can do is visit several labs to watch cases being designed in both 3Shape and Exocad to fully understand the differences. Online demo's and asking questions and opinions will not give enough information to make the best decision for your lab. You will also see some techs design cases in half the time and that doesn't mean that system A is better than system B.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Blender for dental is another contender.
How easy is it to use for someone new in digital dentistry VS someone advanced in design (exo/3shape)?

I was looking at it the other day, and thinking about giving it a shot (~3 years exo user).

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
How easy is it to use for someone new in digital dentistry VS someone advanced in design (exo/3shape)?

I was looking at it the other day, and thinking about giving it a shot (~3 years exo user).
Just think of it as it is, 3shape = apple ecosystem, Exocad = Andriod. Exocad has many more available features, just need to be a bit more familiar with it to find Awesome attributes vs 3sheep.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Just think of it as it is, 3shape = apple ecosystem, Exocad = Andriod. Exocad has many more available features, just need to be a bit more familiar with it to find Awesome attributes vs 3sheep.
I know these, it wasn't what I was asking.
My question is about Blender for dental. How easy/difficult it is? It looks a bit more advanced as far as 3D software go.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I know these, it wasn't what I was asking.
My question is about Blender for dental. How easy/difficult it is? It looks a bit more advanced as far as 3D software go.
Sorry, have have not used it. Have certainly heard of this as well as of others. Wish you well and hope to hear about your success!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

It's cheaper but I haven't used it.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
The learning curve on Blender coming from 3shape/exocad is pretty steep, In my experience.

You really need to watch the video tutorials and even then I find myself struggling.
It also doesn't help that you are very used to 3shape/exocad and you know you can do it faster in those designs. You get frustrated faster.

I try to do some in my " extra time" when deadlines aren't an issue.

But for a price of a round of golf, it's pretty intuitive and I want to support people that are making something.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The learning curve on Blender coming from 3shape/exocad is pretty steep, In my experience.
I haven't tried Blender dental, but I can echo what Sirmorty said... the learning curve for the regular Blender is steep, beyond frustrating . I had way better luck with Meshmixer, Rhino, Meshlab and a bunch of other software, and gave up on Blender Hmmmm

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
3 shape will send you a coffee mug and a mouse pad .

Top Bottom