3shape split file abutment/fcz

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to 3shape and have a question. Is it possible to do a split file design of an abutment and a fcz crown but send the abutment and crown to different manufactures? I would like to send abutments to the oem manufactures but use Argen for the zirconia mills. I'm trying to avoid having to scan the abutment and design over it. Thanks.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I do it all the time. It's the only way to fly.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
For sure, just make sure to set each component to the manufacture that you want to send to assuming you send through 3Shape. If you are using online portals just set yourself as manufacture and generate stl.'s then upload. Either of those methods should work fine.

If for some reason you have a problem, you could design and send the abutment, then "copy and append CAD design to preparation scan". You could then take the copy, modify the order to be a crown and design from there (it will turn your designed abutment into part of the prep model). I would highly recommend using the first option of setting your manufacturers over this option.

The only thing to keep in mind is anytime you are sending things to separate manufacturers you have a bigger headache on your hands if something doesn't fit.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
You may have to play around with the cement gap and abutment settings to get a good fit. Here are the ones I am using:

For abutment:

Shoulder Radius .9
Radius .5

For Crown:

Cement Gap .015
Extra .030
Margin line .35
Smooth .2
Drill Comp and Offset both .55

The drill comp and offset are determined by the smallest tool that is used in the cavity of the crown. For us, that is a 1.0 mm tool hence the .55 value. Your out source mill may be able to help dial in those settings if you have issues with fit.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Yes, I send the files through 3Shape to the manufacturers portals for the abutments. For Argen I use their portal on the website. I will try the methods mentioned and compare my settings to Bretts. Thanks for the help.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Yes, I send the files through 3Shape to the manufacturers portals for the abutments. For Argen I use their portal on the website. I will try the methods mentioned and compare my settings to Bretts. Thanks for the help.
Full disclosure....I took these settings from Sevan :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
You may have to play around with the cement gap and abutment settings to get a good fit. Here are the ones I am using:

For abutment:

Shoulder Radius .9
Radius .5

For Crown:

Cement Gap .015
Extra .030
Margin line .35
Smooth .2
Drill Comp and Offset both .55

The drill comp and offset are determined by the smallest tool that is used in the cavity of the crown. For us, that is a 1.0 mm tool hence the .55 value. Your out source mill may be able to help dial in those settings if you have issues with fit.

hmmmmmmmmmm.......................................................LOL!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmm.......................................................LOL!
Are you laughing at my settings? Or are you laughing because they look familiar? :)

Top Bottom