3shape scan to model

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
Hello,

Something that is confusing to me, is if its even possible. to scan a model and immediately make a model from a model. I know its possible through impression. There are a lot of times, I wanted to print a study model/diagnostic model extract teeth and print it.

Much help would be appreciated. Thanks.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes, its all in the labelling.

label your scan as an intraoral scan, trim it, and you can build a model.

as long as its a solid scan and not already sectioned with dies.

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
Labeling a scan as intraoral would require me to scan it, save it, and import it again right?

Hoping theres a way to scan it with E4 directly to study model. As model builder says I can do that but removing all indications of my order and leave digital model and I can use model builder.

Is that modifing the order, or directly deleting files in the order?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what do u mean import it again?

in 3shape its a dropdown at the top right just set it to digital impression. in exocad its on the bottom right, set the drop down to digital impression, you can turn any 3d shape - even ones you find on the internet - into models.

once marked this way you can either work on one arch at a time, or work on both arches, as long as the stone wasn't cut you can work on it.

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
The scan is directly from that order.

I have a gypsum model. I'd like to scan that directly to model builder. When I select digital impression I cannot scan the model. I'm using an E4.

Normally, I'd create an order and do work required on it and then it would allow me to use model builder. If I try to use model builder before it wont let me do a model because it has indications on it.

Right now, I usually scan a model. Save the scan, make a new order then import the file and make a model.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Set up a new order set model type to model.
Select Any one tooth then add a table top, if you have an opposing select hat as well, set neighbor to unsectioned. and scan.

then modify order set to digital impression add model to order

Then right click model build. if the option id not there then reset case to design status and try again. If not then just design case and quickly next next next then go into model builder, but place tooth off the model in 3d space. Sorry no easy way, I have asked them to implement this for fast digitizing of case. But for now this is the way.

kyleyounggun

kyleyounggun

Reaction score
I will try this. Dental Wings was the same way as well. You had to create an order for a partial or crown before youcould make a model. Once it was at the design stage you could make a model but you always had that order in the queue for design. Was a pain at the end I had over a 100 orders for RPD's I just needed models for.

This would be amazing if they just allow you to just scan a model directly to digital model. They'll probably make it just like the orthosystem 2021 making positioning guides. You have to pay cad points just hollow the model per retainer for each order. It'll cost me 40 dollars for 16 models. I just used meshmixer for the first 2 batches which took forever. After that, I bought Blender for dental, imported all the models from the case and did "one click hollow" and hollowed 42 models in about 20 minutes. 42 to models are 42 cad points. 106USD.... The bottle is only 60 more dollars.

I hope they resend that Pay per hollow model service. I guess they'll push as far as they can until users push back.

D

Darebak

Reaction score
How to scan models just, models so i can save them as STL and send then

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
scan the gypsum models as a regular case (make up the dies, not important).
once scan is complete,
right click on created case and go to ADVANCED and choose explore order.
copy the location of the scans
NEXT
create a new case. choose digital impression for object type.
then click on any tooth (which will highlight the MODEL option)
make sure to repeat same steps on lower jaw.
once all is selected, close the window.
then right click on the mouse and click on IMPORT
then paste the location of the scans into the address bar at bottom of open window
it will ask you to choose the upper scan and click on it
and then the lower scan.
once that's completed, you can open the new case with imported scans
and start your model build.

hope that helps, at least that's how they taught us at the 4077. :)

Last edited:
LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
How to scan models just, models so i can save them as STL and send then
To save them specifically as an STL if you are using the Dental Manager, just right click on the order, and go to ADVANCED, and "Export Scan", select the location you want to save them and boom, you can also select to save them as .PLY with this option if you want to also export color scans.

Top Bottom