3shape Reverse Design

N

Nem12

Reaction score
Hello, it's your neighborhood newb again!

I got a design for a crown from another designer, but unfortunately, they did the design modeless and saved it. However, I need to make a model to go with it as it was supposed to have one to begin.

Here's how they saved/exported it: 1675265462129.png

I've tried to figure out a way to reload/import the case into our 3shape to maybe reverse engineer the model that goes with the crown design, but I honestly can't figure it out. To make matters worse, the office originally scanned in a sectioned model for the prep scan, so it's even more frustrating as I can't just go in with the prep scan and make a model based on that and the gaps in the sections are too wide to even bridge with the smoothing or add wax tool.

Is there any method anyone knows of that can achieve this? We've already sent the case out modeless, but now it's more a matter of pride on my end. I must conquer 3shape....maybe...I hope...we'll see. Wish me luck. :)

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
You are going to have to load your sectioned scan into Blender, manually close the gaps, then pull that into 3Shape as a digital model (using the originally scanned antagonist) in order to build a model from it. Unfortunately, even with the newer 3Shape Model Builder, it can't stitch the sectioned scan. Unless they also scanned an unsectioned model (like we do for the tissue relation).

N

Nem12

Reaction score
I kinda figured I might have to involve blender somehow to fill in the model gaps, but I was REALLY hoping there was a super special way to import that case info that it rebuilds the case in 3shape. Bummmmerrrr. The office just gave us the sectioned model to begin with.

Thanks for the response!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I kinda figured I might have to involve blender somehow to fill in the model gaps, but I was REALLY hoping there was a super special way to import that case info that it rebuilds the case in 3shape. Bummmmerrrr. The office just gave us the sectioned model to begin with.

Thanks for the response!
What's in the scan folder? That should have the original imported scans from when the case was created.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If it was scanned from a model then you have a model .

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Not a model that can be printed. If a sectioned model was scanned, and there is no unsectioned scan (as I said, we scan the solid/contact model to get the tissue relation, and can use that in case of emergency to print a model),you cannot use that sectioned scan to build a model. The model builder only works on parts that are continuous, I haven't seen the "stitch" feature work on anything.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Not a model that can be printed. If a sectioned model was scanned, and there is no unsectioned scan (as I said, we scan the solid/contact model to get the tissue relation, and can use that in case of emergency to print a model),you cannot use that sectioned scan to build a model. The model builder only works on parts that are continuous, I haven't seen the "stitch" feature work on anything.
If this is a single crown then the worse thing that could happen is heavy contacts in the mouth. Hardly the end of the world as most drs prefer that to open contacts. However I fail to see how accuracy can be obtained by printing a model from a scan of a model that was made from a pvs.

N

Nem12

Reaction score
You're correct...there is a model, but it is a sectioned model that the office scanned which doesn't translate too nicely to printer programs without some fixing in meshmixer or blender...whatever your choice.

What I was attempting to find out here is if there was a way to reload that batch of files from the original design and use it to make a model in 3shape, but that does not seem to be possible. I know that the sectioned model can be wrangled with and printed once you've sewn it back together, but this was more an academic curiosity regarding 3shape's capabilities. :)

AaronW12321

AaronW12321

Reaction score
Hey you can 100% reimport that case to 3shape, do control-i, import complete 3shape order, and then in the bottom right change it to xml instead of zip, then select that file called "P CN637491..." specifically the one thats an XML file. That should bring the whole case back into 3shape
Also model builder, atleast 2021+, has an option to stitch sectioned dies back to the model, you dont have to have scanned the unsectioned model as far as I understand.

N

Nem12

Reaction score
Hey you can 100% reimport that case to 3shape, do control-i, import complete 3shape order, and then in the bottom right change it to xml instead of zip, then select that file called "P CN637491..." specifically the one thats an XML file. That should bring the whole case back into 3shape
Also model builder, atleast 2021+, has an option to stitch sectioned dies back to the model, you dont have to have scanned the unsectioned model as far as I understand.
...my mind. She is blown.
Mind Reaction GIF

THANK YOU!

I'd tried importing things from that file list, but nothing was working...I guess I didn't find the right combination. Seriously, you rock!

I don't know if I've seen the stitch option in Model Builder, but I'll take a closer look for it.