3shape re-design problems

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on this to see if others are having similar issues or have found solutions already.

I have found that on newer versions of 3shape, it is very hard to re-utilize your old design, particularly since I think 2018 version. I believe this is when they removed the option to align your current prep arch with the previous and it seems that any time you need to rescan any model you will also have to fully redesign because it won't necessarily align all the model work into the same coordinate plane and since 3shape saves all of your modifications to the location of the modification rather than referencing it to the design, if the models move you lose your design. I imagine cases done with articulator scan plates wouldn't have these problems, but I haven't tested it.

That is one problem I have run into reusing my old designs, the other problem I have run into is in my opinion a bigger problem.

When reloading a design I just did, with no changes at all, 3shape will lose the insertion direction that I set, or sometimes even change it's own proposal. When this happens it will auto place the crowns differently causing all of your design steps to reload incorrectly rendering the design useless.

Both of these are large problems in the 3shape work flow that didn't exist in the past. I think that it may have had to do with combining the smile library and sculpt steps, but what I'm hoping for is to find some solutions to avoid wasting time on re-designs. I am familiar with the various types of copy's and will sometimes use the "copy and reuse cad design" to get around this, but I would prefer to not have to

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Also changing indication from say, anatomical, to anatomical pontic will cause it to reload its proposal differently at times causing the same problem.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yup after XX year, there is a glitch that wants to reset the design.

Best to press F4 on the case, rename anatomy Element folder to Anatomy for reuse. Delete the design tree. Then Modify the order and set the design module to 2020. and redesign. in smile composser select the reuse library and bamn you should be good to go. It does suck but i have notice that as well. I will bring it up in the beta test group and see why.

Join the 3Shape Study Group in Face book for better support.