3shape Provisional Shells?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Its been a few years since I had the joy of 3shape at my fingertips. But soon. Oh yes soon.
So I was wondering?
These days, does 3 shape have a shell option?
I just want to be able to scan a waxed up cast. And mill a thin shell.
All I want to scan is the waxup. Not a preparation model or a single thing else.
One arch scan, boom, shell?
Yes Yes?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you'd have to shoemaker it with the coping software. make a big ass coping. hope your scan dont got holes.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Off the topic but kind of the same thing, is anyone having good luck with making temporaries off of a pre-op model kind of like a diagnostic wax up? Basically a snap on smile?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Off the topic but kind of the same thing, is anyone having good luck with making temporaries off of a pre-op model kind of like a diagnostic wax up? Basically a snap on smile?

That's an interesting concept. Sounds in theory like a great option for people that can't afford to do cosmetic work. You're talking about snapping on provisionals over existing teeth, correct?

That might be able to work with the bite splint module if you can get them to mill thin enough

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've tried doing them a few times but always go wrong somewhere. Feels like it's buggy or something.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I've done a few. No real big problems. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to nail the proximal contacts. The best I have been able to figure out is using pure guesswork, but that being said, I haven't had any complaints....

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
you'd have to shoemaker it with the coping software. make a big ass coping. hope your scan dont got holes.
That would still require a second scan of a minimally prepped cast.
I know I can scan a cast, then prep the cast and scan that for a shell. I just want to do it nicer.
Just a scan of the waxup, lets say 6-11. And 3Shape to mill me a .5mm-1mm shell of the scan in PMMA.
If it cant do that, it should.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
That would still require a second scan of a minimally prepped cast.
I know I can scan a cast, then prep the cast and scan that for a shell. I just want to do it nicer.
Just a scan of the waxup, lets say 6-11. And 3Shape to mill me a .5mm-1mm shell of the scan in PMMA.
If it cant do that, it should.
It can be done. Under Crown, select Temporary Crown on Unsectioned Model. I think its the third option down. Sorry - @ home today - will verify later. In the program, you will be asked how thick you want the shell - I think the preset parameter is .80mm. Seems to work nicely.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i think i misunderstood marcus, i thought u wanted to make a shell over the waxup. you want to make one Under it ? err .. ok...

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
i think i misunderstood marcus, i thought u wanted to make a shell over the waxup. you want to make one Under it ? err .. ok...

Is this what you're talking about? This is over non prepped teeth

Screenshot2015-02-13133659_zps1776f893.png

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Is this what you're talking about? This is over non prepped teeth

Screenshot2015-02-13133659_zps1776f893.png
No not at all. However that is great for an additive only case to show the patient an almost true to life mockup of what their smile could be and help sell the case with ease. I found the answer to what I was talking about. I posted the 3shape website link a little earlier in this thread.
I build a lot of temp shells. With composite and/or acrylic, manually. The only way on a crappy system to mill PMMA shells is to scan the waxup or preop, then do a nice even minimal prep all across the board and scan the preparation. Then your CAD/CAM will build a thin shell of a prep to be religned later after the doctor preps the case. With 3shape I found earlier. You can scan only the waxup, and it can be duplicated into a .5mm shell, and milled in PMMA. Easy Peasy Japanese.
:)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
No not at all. However that is great for an additive only case to show the patient an almost true to life mockup of what their smile could be and help sell the case with ease. I found the answer to what I was talking about. I posted the 3shape website link a little earlier in this thread.
I build a lot of temp shells. With composite and/or acrylic, manually. The only way on a crappy system to mill PMMA shells is to scan the waxup or preop, then do a nice even minimal prep all across the board and scan the preparation. Then your CAD/CAM will build a thin shell of a prep to be religned later after the doctor preps the case. With 3shape I found earlier. You can scan only the waxup, and it can be duplicated into a .5mm shell, and milled in PMMA. Easy Peasy Japanese.

maybe look at zz or exo which is similar the d gys have written off maybe to much touborg not bad but german beer is better

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score

Ok I understand now. Exocad has that module that is incredibly easy to use

http://exocad.com/our-products/#/dental-cad/addon-module/provisional-crowns

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
The D guys have it too but a bit time less but its good to have two or three the Canadians or four the crap english delcam too its good for us technicans if they push each other. 4 years ago some things in Denmark where real crap and they pushed hard good for us !!!!!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We use ours (exocad) all the time, I'll snap some photos and post them up...simple simple in exocad :) <<<take that rkm :p

Top Bottom