3Shape network install

N

nexdent

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have got a question regarding a 3Shape network install.

At the moment we are using a HP 8300 SFF as Standalone PC and the 3Shape cases are stored on a NAS with Raid1.

We are now buying a new PC (i7 6700k, Geforce GTX 970, 32GB memory, SSD,...) and I want to reinstall everything and build up a network install.

What is the best way to manage it? Should I install the "server" one the new or on the old PC? And why?

My idea was like this:
- install 3Shape as server on the new PC
- case data stored on NAS
- install 3shape as client on the old PC
--> So I can do everything on the new PC and if I need more resources someone can scan on the old PC or even design there.

Thanks!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have got a question regarding a 3Shape network install.

At the moment we are using a HP 8300 SFF as Standalone PC and the 3Shape cases are stored on a NAS with Raid1.

We are now buying a new PC (i7 6700k, Geforce GTX 970, 32GB memory, SSD,...) and I want to reinstall everything and build up a network install.

What is the best way to manage it? Should I install the "server" one the new or on the old PC? And why?

My idea was like this:
- install 3Shape as server on the new PC
- case data stored on NAS
- install 3shape as client on the old PC
--> So I can do everything on the new PC and if I need more resources someone can scan on the old PC or even design there.

Thanks!
You pretty much got it down. Just set the path of the database on the new pc (SERVER INSTALL) to the nas storage and the network client (OLD PC) will read and write to that. The network client is just a window to the server nothing else. Whatever you set in the control panel on the server is what the network client will export too, read from etc........

It is completely different then a server for an office. The new pc seems like a good build, will be great for larger cases.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I would contact my 3Shape support, tell them exactly what you're wanting to do, and get them to help you. It's their

job to make sure you're set up for success.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I would contact my 3Shape support, tell them exactly what you're wanting to do, and get them to help you. It's their

job to make sure you're set up for success.
Kent he answered his own question.[emoji12]

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Kent he answered his own question.[emoji12]

Maybe Kent can tell you if those are BH non-e temp abuts in your thread??
Come on Kent, enough napping already.:D

N

nexdent

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies Bird

I want to do it myself because it is easier to manage the systems after that for me.

But I have got an additional question: Is it possible to import and edit old cases if I do a fresh reinstall of 3Shape? Just with the data NAS/3Shape and NAS/3Shape/ManufacturingDir? Or do I have to export some additional files before?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies Bird

I want to do it myself because it is easier to manage the systems after that for me.

But I have got an additional question: Is it possible to import and edit old cases if I do a fresh reinstall of 3Shape? Just with the data NAS/3Shape and NAS/3Shape/ManufacturingDir? Or do I have to export some additional files before?
If your keeping the same current version and simply installing as a server on the new pc. One way to do it is to do a full backup. Then install 3shape on the new pc and then run installer again and restore from backup. Or install the new version. Then import all the .xml files of the cases but this will take ages. It is always a pain to re import the entire library. Best ti keave it on the nas, then simply import roughly 1-3 months worth of work by xml files.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
for old cases

I am testing similar thing, but i did not export/import orders. I moved database (and in my case, files also) to a server and then reconfigured 3shape system.

Since you have files on a NAS, then the trick is to use SQL server management studio (if you install one, make sure you get correct version from microsoft webbeh: 3shape uses mssql 2012) to move existing database to new wks. Daily Backup files for BOTH DentalSystem and DentalManager databases should be located in c:\program files\mssql.11\threeshapedental\backup (but use SQL server management studio to create backup from current dbs and then restore them to a new computor)

Last edited:
N

nexdent

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I just want to have the opportunity to import some cases when I need them. For example if I have to mill a broken crown/bridge again. PC should arrive tomorrow...so I know what I have to do at the weekend :D

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
i don't support NAS devices as a solution. You are literally creating your own bottle neck. unless the NAS was set up as a BOOT to back up, not for active case access

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
i don't support NAS devices as a solution. You are literally creating your own bottle neck. unless the NAS was set up as a BOOT to back up, not for active case access
Connections via eSATA or dedicated physical Ethernet channel aren't up to it? Don't know, just surprised if that's so.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I just want to have the opportunity to import some cases when I need them. For example if I have to mill a broken crown/bridge again. PC should arrive tomorrow...so I know what I have to do at the weekend :D
So before you to the dwitch5, export all the dme files for you materials, and the export all the created and scanned cases, and about 1 months worth of designed cases. If all the cases are on the NAS then as you need import them as you need them. So in the manager ctrl+I navigate to the folder on the NAS then select xml in the lower right of the import window and simply import the cases .xml not the material xml but the case I'd xml and you set. It will import the entire case designed and all you have to do is f7 to export stl. Done deal. Just set the locations on the new server to the NAS location.

N

nexdent

Reaction score
I don't understand your reason why a NAS device is not a good idea? I just save the folder "3Shape" and "3Shape/ManufacturingDir" at my NAS which is running RAID1 with another 6hour-backup and one weekly backup stored at another place. It's all gigabit-lan and should be fast enough for working. It should be like the same speed when using DentalSystem from a Client or not?

So before you to the dwitch5, export all the dme files for you materials, and the export all the created and scanned cases, and about 1 months worth of designed cases. If all the cases are on the NAS then as you need import them as you need them. So in the manager ctrl+I navigate to the folder on the NAS then select xml in the lower right of the import window and simply import the cases .xml not the material xml but the case I'd xml and you set. It will import the entire case designed and all you have to do is f7 to export stl. Done deal. Just set the locations on the new server to the NAS location.
Thank you for your help. I will try that this way.

Have a nice weekend!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I don't understand your reason why a NAS device is not a good idea? I just save the folder "3Shape" and "3Shape/ManufacturingDir" at my NAS which is running RAID1 with another 6hour-backup and one weekly backup stored at another place. It's all gigabit-lan and should be fast enough for working. It should be like the same speed when using DentalSystem from a Client or not?

Thank you for your help. I will try that this way.

Have a nice weekend!
I don't see why an NAS can't work, just need to make sure the read write times are fast enough. I was looking and the synology 5 Bay nas storage, multiple power ports and ethernet post just incase one goes bad. One of the best NAS units out right now.

I wouldn't put the MFG directory on it though, they are just stl file which can easily be generated a terrible if needed. I would put the database and dme files of your custom settings. I would put the stl directory on the mill pc.

N

nexdent

Reaction score
I am using a Synology DS 215+ with 2x 4TB Seagate NAS HDD (RAID1) + APC UPS. This one works very well. Thank you Svan, I will do it like you said.

B

Borissuh

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a problem with restoring my 3shape manufacturing database, I made a mistake and restored old backup. Now, there is nothing showing from 15/5/15 on my dental manager. I tried restoring back but no luck. Has anyone had this issue before?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a problem with restoring my 3shape manufacturing database, I made a mistake and restored old backup. Now, there is nothing showing from 15/5/15 on my dental manager. I tried restoring back but no luck. Has anyone had this issue before?

Just make sure you restore from the right back up. I usually install the software over again to generate the latest backup. Just uninstall and re install and try again. It should be very easy and fast.

The other thing you can do it Ctrl+I to import in the lower left select .xml instead of zip file, navigate to the database folder and search in the upper search bar ".xml" this will bring up all the .xml files. Simply select the case id xml file, do about 50 at a time or less. this will bring the entire case back in to 3shape designed, scanned or create. What ever the last status of the case was. You didn't loos anything 3shape just doesn't have it imported.

N

nexdent

Reaction score
I want to thank you for your support! Cheers

Today I installed the server - client setup and everything works just fine. I tried to import some old cases with ctrl+i and even this works very well. So there is no need to import every case because I just want to have the opportunity to import some chosen cases if I need them.

But there is one question left. In the control panel I set an option that the case name should consist of "id_date_time_doctor_lastname_firstname". The software doesn't add the doctors name to it just the other things. Do you have the same problem? I am using 2015 15.5.0.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Here is how I have our setup. Simple and very easy to input cases. Each lab is different.

order form.JPG

The more options you add the longer the name the longer the stl file.

K.I.S.S.

Keep
It
Simple
Stu-pid

Not call you stupid, LOL just keep it simple.

I only use the last name field and enter everything I need in there.
1. Case pan number
2. Patients last name
3. Shade
4. Emax of Pfm

So my case tag ID will look like this

805-Jones-A2-Emax
245-McCloud-B1-PFM
115-Miles-C4-Zirpress
449-Combs-D3 (zirconia either layered or monolith)

I also un checked most of the fields in the visible column so they do not show up in the order form.

Here is how my order form looks.

form.JPG

1. I select the customer, then press enter
2. Press the Tab key 3 times this will bring me to the PT last name field, enter case info.
3. Select tooth number
4. Select restoration and click scan or OK.

Done

Here is what my manager looks like with cases entered.

manager.JPG

Also look at the bottom next to the small lower left windows displaying the case model. Minimal info. This works best for work flow. All labs are different, the software has many option for many labs needs, you don't have to use them all, just pick what works best for you. I like to simplify everything to be faster. I don't need dongle numbers and stuff in the case ID.

Hope this helps you out.

Sevan

I

ITMGR

Reaction score
This is Tommy, formerly of CMC. I agree with Sevan. The only thing I would change is to import ONLY the orders which you need in the database. Over the years I have seen databases and old order files filling up the hard drives on systems and slowing down production in the labs.

Top Bottom