3shape Model Builder

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using the 3shape Model builder?

We want to provide study model service, and make use of printing our own models for C/B

Anyone care to share their experiences? (i have seen the videos) but can i select articulator attachments ie, vertex, etc

Also what are people finding the BEST program for doctors to use to view their stl files?

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
Hi Techy!

3Shape Model Builder is fairly intuitive to use. We have been printing our own models on site now for almost two years, with great success. You can select from a variety of different articulation systems (including vertex) to attach to the model. We have had mostly positive experience with this software so far. The biggest challenge is developing your own parameters for the models, which can take quite a bit of R&D. The software comes with some stock settings but these can be refined for a nicer result if you want to spend the time.

In response to Doctors viewing their .STL files, since you are already using 3Shape perhaps 3Shape Communicate will provide a solution to this.

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for your reply.
Are you guys using IOS scans or are you scanning in models (i know this would be redundant)

I was told that it was not possible to add an articulator to models scanned in.... (its also getting a little frustrating paying for every little add-on with the 3shape)

I have signed up for 3shape communicate....seems like its still getting off the ground...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm starting to wonder about this model builder....

what if you scanned a Model, but marked the ordersheet that it was an Impression?

would you get a negative model as a result in the model builder? if so, could you not from there use this inverted model as a printable matrix for temps, or waxup ?

i gotta try this.

Techy

Techy

Reaction score
You would have to then pay 3shape for a the "matrix inversion editor" add-on modual......jk whos knows

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Chris,
How long does it take for you to scan and proccess before the model is ready to print? Which printer are you using? How many models, upper and lower combined, do you print in a day

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm starting to wonder about this model builder....

what if you scanned a Model, but marked the ordersheet that it was an Impression?

would you get a negative model as a result in the model builder? if so, could you not from there use this inverted model as a printable matrix for temps, or waxup ?

i gotta try this.

test conclusively failed. cannot produce matrixes with model builder. every time, model builder crashes. if scanning a model, it is likely the model will need some "impression walls" to make it easier to close "impression" holes and "generate dies"

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
Chris, thanks for your reply.
Are you guys using IOS scans or are you scanning in models (i know this would be redundant)

I was told that it was not possible to add an articulator to models scanned in.... (its also getting a little frustrating paying for every little add-on with the 3shape)

I have signed up for 3shape communicate....seems like its still getting off the ground...

We are using IOS scans directly as the data quality is better and we can get a faster turnaround time. We also decided to invest in the full version of Model Builder however, which has a bit more functionality (we are also doing scanned impressions to a limited extent). You have to set the order up as a Digital Impression to get this functionality. It does start to add up in price but then again they have something like 60 programmers on staff.

Yeah, 3Shape Communicate is still in its early version but Doctors seem to love it. Once you get them through the sign up process anyways...

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
Chris,
How long does it take for you to scan and proccess before the model is ready to print? Which printer are you using? How many models, upper and lower combined, do you print in a day

Unfortunately as per company policy I cannot disclose exact numbers. I can say, however, that if you give someone a week or two to get used to the process it ends up being cost effective even with the price of build material for the printer. We are currently using both an Objet 350v and an EnvisionTEC PP4 for printing our models. We are processing enough scans to have a full time employee dedicated to processing them. Part of this is due to our support of all of the major scanning systems including Lava COS, Cerec, iTero, E4D, Clon 3D, and eventually Trios as well, which combined provide sufficient volume to warrant this.

We are developing a business plan for becoming a print center for other labs, and are capable of sending out samples to anyone interested.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Unfortunately as per company policy I cannot disclose exact numbers. I can say, however, that if you give someone a week or two to get used to the process it ends up being cost effective even with the price of build material for the printer. We are currently using both an Objet 350v and an EnvisionTEC PP4 for printing our models. We are processing enough scans to have a full time employee dedicated to processing them. Part of this is due to our support of all of the major scanning systems including Lava COS, Cerec, iTero, E4D, Clon 3D, and eventually Trios as well, which combined provide sufficient volume to warrant this.

We are developing a business plan for becoming a print center for other labs, and are capable of sending out samples to anyone interested.

I am not looking for company secrets just want to know how efficient it is to print models. No company secrets here my one man model department will do up to 60 cases in a 9 hour day, provided there is that much sitting there. Can your process compete with my super freak model tech?

C

Chris Halke

Reaction score
Wow! 60 IS impressive. John Henry seems to be beating the machine in this case. Currently we are only printing models from IOS scans. We were scanning impressions for awhile but found that the bites were not accurate a good portion of the time, and while they can be re-articulated digitally we were not satisfied with the results. Our IOS processing time is about 10 minutes from downloading the scan until the model is ready to print, and an additional 5 minutes of post processing time. Print time is about 6 hours for about 50 models. Overall we are saving about 10 bucks over the cost of ordering a model from one of the distributors.

joonya

joonya

Reaction score
test conclusively failed. cannot produce matrixes with model builder. every time, model builder crashes. if scanning a model, it is likely the model will need some "impression walls" to make it easier to close "impression" holes and "generate dies"

Totally unrelated, but I love your Wu-Tang quote, CHL.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

Have you tried scanning an impression with Trios?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I am not looking for company secrets just want to know how efficient it is to print models. No company secrets here my one man model department will do up to 60 cases in a 9 hour day, provided there is that much sitting there. Can your process compete with my super freak model tech?
60 cases of what? 60 Quads on monotracks? 60 Full arches mounted on Semi Adjustables w/facebow transfer complete with trimmed and section dies?
Big difference between the two.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
LOL,I haven't finished the internet .

E

Ethan_Coddie

Reaction score
3Shape’s scan and design processes are the fastest in the market and provide an initial computer-proposed design of unique quality.

M

MichaelTeiniker

Reaction score
I have my model maker addon for blender almost complete. Please follow me on facebook. "Blender for dental"

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Patmo did this years ago.

Top Bottom