3Shape high occlusion

N

Nick Woj

Reaction score
I have noticed an inconsistency with occlusion over the years with CAD/CAM. I don't know if it is the software or if it is more to do with the mill. I always double check the articulation while designing the crown to make sure that the scan wasn't off. I also cut to the opposing at .25 but still occasionally get some high bites, not many but getting tired of someone walking a wax unit back to me to make an adjustment that takes less time then the walk to me. Does anyone have any usefully information that might help.

Keep in mind:
1.) Machines are regularly calibrates and always kept clean
2.) Bites are checked during design and made sure that there is contact on neighboring teeth

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
What is the intake scanner? Same for all high crowns?

What CAD? Version?
What CAM? Version?
What Mill? Version :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
too many opportunities for bad bites, which is part and parcel of working with triple trays, elastic bands, mousse, and cheap milling units.

calibrate all you like, but a mill will always be +/- some factor. usually about .05, but often as much as .2mm especially in used, plasticy, or belt driven machines.

so a precision design (if it was precision) can end up way off due to the inherent nature of manufacturing. if that is unacceptable to you, spend more money and get a more consistent machine. im sorry, but thats what you get when you pay so little. a 30k$ glorified dremel on a gantry performs way way worse than a 250k$ CNC

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have noticed an inconsistency
That is my experience, too. Admittedly, my knowledge on the milling side is limted. But so far, I have experienced it more with 3Shape than with ZirkonZahn. And, it can go the other way, too.

The interesting part is the inconsistency, I think.

M

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Maybe the die is not all the way down on the model when you scan?

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Actually I was wrong, because it would give him more space on thr occlusion...
Maybe your articulation when you scan? Sometimes I put a rubber band on the model to hold the bite, to make sure it won't move when scanning...