3Shape E3 - sticking models to plate

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
So I am playing around with our new 3Shape E3. What do you guys use to stick your models to the plate? They sent this Blu Tack stuff, but our stone models wont stick to it. They keep falling off mid-scan. Any suggestions?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
18600400_PROD_004_Preview.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If your casts are damp they won't stick to the Blu Tack, which is what I use. They have to be pretty much totally dry from model trimming or else I have to super glue them to the tack. It wastes just the top layer of tack. When they're damp, I've tried roughening the surface to get them to stick but to no avail without super gluing them.

For me, when they're dry, I've found that I have mound it up a bit and push and twist down back and forth, (or twist and shout :) ) the stone models into the tack, to get it to stick better. Make sure you're using enough. I have 2 plates with a good amount on them for casts, and 2 with little mounds for dies.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Smooth stone will not stick to the blue tack, its just impossible.

N

NYJHL

Reaction score
during seminar in chicago, Marcus advised to place 3 humps of tac in a triangle outline, so that when models are placed on the plate it creates a suction / suckdown affect to help with keeping models from falling off.

Doesnt always do the trick but definitely helps

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
When they're dry, building up the Blu Tack and twisting and pushing them into the Blu Tack has worked for me.

edit: Maybe it works for me because they're not shiny smooth, but the bottoms have been trimmed (surface tension broken) on the model trimmer, otherwise Affinity may be right as far as it not sticking.

I was scanning this case during this thread:
IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
95% of the cases that I scan are monotrac, Implants have a stone base, and the rest are giroform, those really dont stick well. I end up just wrapping the putty around the model to hold it. Ive also tried mini magnetic clamps, but didnt have much luck.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If your models aren't sticking to it then make sure they are dry. I see this a lot with wet bases. I use blu tak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
If your casts are damp they won't stick to the Blu Tack, which is what I use. They have to be pretty much totally dry from model trimming or else I have to super glue them to the tack. It wastes just the top layer of tack. When they're damp, I've tried roughening the surface to get them to stick but to no avail without super gluing them.

For me, when they're dry, I've found that I have mound it up a bit and push and twist down back and forth, (or twist and shout :) ) the stone models into the tack, to get it to stick better. Make sure you're using enough. I have 2 plates with a good amount on them for casts, and 2 with little mounds for dies.

The 'ole twist 'n shout seems to be working. Thanks everyone!

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Hot glue gun?

Although they sometimes also don't stick well when the models are wet

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hot glue gun?

Although they sometimes also don't stick well when the models are wet

Yep, I found the same thing too, that it doesn't stick to good to the models if the models are wet. If they're wet, super gluing to the Tack has worked the best for me so far.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The 'ole twist 'n shout seems to be working. Thanks everyone!

If that continues to work for you, I've also found using a square cloth type of pot holder on top of the casts and using my palm to push and twist into the tack helps with hand fatigue (makes it easier?) and from getting poked by cusp tips.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If you are scanning a wet model then maybe the workflow is flawed.

Which for me at times is when I'm behind and I have to scan and send out a week early for milled abutments and the casts are still damp.

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
I use this Fun-tak stuff from Lepage.

Much better than blu-tack. Naturally a bit softer and more pliable. It has a 'stickiness' to it. I still use the Blu-tack if I need something more rigid.

Also, with the Blu-tack, it helps when it's warm. I usually set the plate on top of a porcelain furnace or work the material in my hands by constantly pulling it apart (bonus: it's a good stress reliever)

Finally, if you over-extend the Blu-tack on the scan plate and then lift up the corners so it wraps around the model a bit, I find that helps with securing the model.

Been at this for 12 years and there's still a bit of a pucker factor whenever you hear something come loose inside your scanner. [emoji38]
4bcd7889299a4bcdad022f875becc2f2.jpg
3fa580f4d96b49da2eb0eda6a63796e6.jpg
3e41d9f48babf9fd9295da603fc220b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Been at this for 12 years and there's still a bit of a pucker factor whenever you hear something come loose inside your scanner.

Lol..pucker factor, isn't that the truth, "what just chipped or broke"?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just maybe a helpful bonus trick at N/C? :)

For scanning frames, FCZ etc on a titanium abutment, think of the Drs doing a rubber dam, and put your abutment with analog
in the putty, then push a tissue over the top and through the abutment. This way you can spray the abutment and the part of the analog
that's out of the putty while it's in the putty, and save on getting the over-spray on the putty.

IMG_1623.JPG