3shape Dongle

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Hi ,just a quick one. Is it true you have to return the dongle if you do not renew
Your 3 shape license?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
No true. They simply deactivate it.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I'm a reseller. I'm certain you don't need to return it. 3Shape simply turns it off. You own the dongle 3Shape controls it. Don't return it. You purchased it. You can reactivate it later as long as you have it. Or you can sell it with the scanner.
I recently picked up a used 3 Shape scanner. The software had not been upgraded for two years. I received the scanner dongle and an old CPU.
I'm thinking that your dealer wants to take your dongle and pay the annual fee which is like having an additional design seat for much less than what it cost to add or buy a new seat. I really can't think of any other reason they are making an issue out of this.
I would tell them they can have it for $5K. Or, tell them you intend on selling the system, or have sold it.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I have a similar story...ended up sending the old dongle back after one year and bought a new lic. (still saved $ doing that on the long run)... So you say Bob, that was my property and I can request that piece of hardware back from those b@st@rd$ ?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
give em nothing what are they going to do send in the feds

A

aqdental

Reaction score
3Shape simply turns it off. You own the dongle 3Shape controls it. Don't return it. You purchased it. You can reactivate it later as long as you have it. Or you can sell it with the scanner.

How much to reactivate the dongle? is jus the annual license fee? Can you pay license with a different reseller?

S

Stebar1959

Reaction score
If you do not update your licence do the 3shape scanners retain ANY functionality at all? By functionality I don't mean as a doorstop :)

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
The reality is this... everyone uses a a model which they think will keep their business in a state of perpetual income.
Wouldn't that be nice for a lab...well labs do too....until things start going sour! Then they discover marketing ..real quick!

Software is an interesting one... you can own hardware but you don't own software. You do have a license to use it though.
Now read your license conditions well... especially the small print...

Some companies like the customer to pay compulsory yearly fees so you receive the latest updates etc.. i.e.: a maintenance fee..this assures the company of an income so they can continue development etc. This makes complete sense, but maybe not to the customer...$$$

Others have a non compulsory maintenance fee... but hang on.

If your old version still works then you keep using it without a fee, right? Well maybe not.. Your OS may update files that render your working version useless.
Or a driver may change..same result. This happens all the time...

Best advice...

Take maintenance contracts, compulsory or not, on all your software as it will be less of a headache in the long run..In the big scheme of things, it's not really that expensive. It will actually be more cost effective to do it yearly.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
The reality is this... everyone uses a a model which they think will keep their business in a state of perpetual income.
Wouldn't that be nice for a lab...well labs do too....until things start going sour! Then they discover marketing ..real quick!

Software is an interesting one... you can own hardware but you don't own software. You do have a license to use it though.
Now read your license conditions well... especially the small print...

Some companies like the customer to pay compulsory yearly fees so you receive the latest updates etc.. i.e.: a maintenance fee..this assures the company of an income so they can continue development etc. This makes complete sense, but maybe not to the customer...$$$

Others have a non compulsory maintenance fee... but hang on.

If your old version still works then you keep using it without a fee, right? Well maybe not.. Your OS may update files that render your working version useless.
Or a driver may change..same result. This happens all the time...

Best advice...

Take maintenance contracts, compulsory or not, on all your software as it will be less of a headache in the long run..In the big scheme of things, it's not really that expensive. It will actually be more cost effective to do it yearly

If I don't renew my license with my current reseller, can I restart next year with a different reseller and if so how much is going to cost me ( just the annual fee?)

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
You can always strike a deal , Im sure

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, this dongle return policy is a scam. It has nothing to do with 3Shape. Totally unethical. I do feel like I'm a little out on a limb. Would rather not be speaking badly about another company. If I'm wrong I will owe this distributor a public apology (not a problem I'll do it),truth is, they have no right to your dongle. Yes 100% sure. Could you please PM me the distributor name? I think I know who it is but want to confirm. 3Shape should know this is going on.
If you have already returned it you can ask for the dongle back, but I'm sure it's long gone. Been resold for an additional seat for much more money than the cost of the license renewal.
The dongle is actually related to the design seat. The scanner operates independently of the dongle. If you do not pay the renewal fee the scanner will still work. But, the scans will need to go into 3Shape design software. Theoretically, you could continue to scan and design from the sans on another dongle or outsource design to any other 3Shape facility.
To reactivate an expired dongle the cost will depend on how many annual fees you have missed. You would be required to pay all the skipped fees to get the dongle going again. But, if it's less than a year it would simply be just the one annual fee. If it's several years it will become less costly to simply purchase a new design seat and forget about the old dongle.
Getting your dongle changed over to a different reseller requires the approval from the original distributor. Some distributors are fine with this and others are not. I think if one make a big enough stink distributors will allow dongle transfers.

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
You can always strike a deal , Im sure
There is no reason to strike a deal to keep an inactive dongle. Just ignore the request. Or ask for a written confirmation from 3Shape that supports this distributors BS?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I meant strike a deal to transfer....... that should be a practical and real option.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Sorry Terry. I misunderstood.
I love your software maintenance post! Many lab owners just don't get it. In fact, many choose inferior software programs solely because it come with lower or no mandatory annual fees. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
No worries Bob... Thanks! Yes if you want quality software you need to pay... and it's not really that expensive in the big scheme of things!
Its a modern world and we need modern tools..and software will become more important to us all.

I agree... some software looks good value skin deep but you have to consider the long term situation.

Look forward to seeing you early December...its such a long way... LOL But someones got to do it!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hey Terry,
Boston in December....bring some warm clothing.
I didn't realize you were coming out. Looking forward to seeing you.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Be there with my thermals on ..remember its Summer here...just passing through..from Buffalo..BRZZZZZZ