3Shape Dental Designer PC specs

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Hi

Thank you for responding! I do have the OS and Dental manager on one drive and storage on a different. OS and 3shape software are on a WD Black NVMe M.2 1TB PCI. Storage is on a 'regular' SSD.

What did improve greatly after the upgrade is the rebuild process, when reopening a case. But what slows it down a lot is when you select 'visualizing the contact zones,' or what ever it is called. I mean the red lines on the occlusal surface or contact area. Whenever I do that on a bigger case, the software gets really slow. The same happens when undoing a step, in a bigger case. It slows down for a while. In general, full upper and lower cases slow down the software a lot when getting towards completion. And the fear of crashing it is always there...

Anyway, enough of a rant for a Sunday.

PS. I am not familiar with setting up RAID.
the collision lines definitely can slow things down. You might have your support check to ensure your graphics card is being fully utilized for 3shape if you are seeing that.

You also may want to open up your task manager and check your RAM utilization if you are seeing a lot of slowing towards the end of cases and when using the undo button. 32gigs of ram should be plenty but if you are struggling on big cases adding more can be helpful sometimes. I have also seen issues with the dental desktop side of the software absolutely eating RAM up and requiring 64gigs

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
the collision lines definitely can slow things down. You might have your support check to ensure your graphics card is being fully utilized for 3shape if you are seeing that.
Thank you for responding!

I will give them a call. Last time, although with a different reseller, it took me 8 months constant bothering until I got someone competent on it that did some tweaking that actually improved things.
You also may want to open up your task manager and check your RAM utilization if you are seeing a lot of slowing towards the end of cases and when using the undo button. 32gigs of ram should be plenty but if you are struggling on big cases adding more can be helpful sometimes. I have also seen issues with the dental desktop side of the software absolutely eating RAM up and requiring 64gigs
I actually installed 64gb of RAM. My impression is that the resources are not used at all. But next time, I'll have an eye on the RAM usage.

A

Amazeable

Reaction score
One thing I have heard that will slow things down is having a large number of completed cases, like more than 1000. I'm not sure why but my 3Shape tech support person at Core 3D said so. I'm not near that yet so I haven't experienced it. Take it for what it's worth from a non computer guy.

E

Ethan Thompson

Reaction score
I will add that my 3Shape tech support optimized my video card to give priority to 3Shape. I am not sure if I worded that correctly, but they did something to make that happen.
I know this was almost a year ago, but would you mind sharing what kind of hardware you're running in you 3shape pc?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I know this was almost a year ago, but would you mind sharing what kind of hardware you're running in you 3shape pc?
I stopped building PCs many moons ago and I wouldn't know where to get the info you are asking for. Can you tell me where to find it and I can answer your question?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I know this was almost a year ago, but would you mind sharing what kind of hardware you're running in you 3shape
Look through the forum, you will find a few posts on here about what to use. But it comes down to this:
Super fast SSD, as much Ram as you can afford and good graphics card. And look for the an Intel processor with the best single core performance.