3Shape Client Computer Has Slow Connection To Server

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
i think you should call your reseller - we have a 20+ client setup and don't have this issue.....

We have been online with them already three times. Still can't seem to get the issue fixed. They say that we may just need to buy another dongle but to me that doesn't sound like a solution. Not very sure what to do at this point.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
We have been online with them already three times. Still can't seem to get the issue fixed. They say that we may just need to buy another dongle but to me that doesn't sound like a solution. Not very sure what to do at this point.

who is your reseller?

Also, swapping to another dongle is not a big issue - do you have extra dongles? why do you have to buy one? I assume if you have more than 1 scanner you have more than 1 dongle. Just pick that as the target dongle and transfer it over.

Although i agree with you that the dongle makes no sense in terms of lag. But also, when's the last time you had a cabling guy come (not CABLE guy - i mean a network cable guy) come and test your environment? Maybe your switchboard is faulty? maybe not all your wires are gigabit?

Do you have a visix diagram of your office / network management / ports/cables?

(I'll give you a crazy example - i had one section of CAD stations with a ridiculous amount of lag and we couldn't figure out why. It was about 2 months after we spent 250k on our new ASA / Phone System / Nimble Back Up. Turns out, the high voltage of our DMG 10 was causing interference for a portion of the network - and we rerouted those cables. Sounds wonky, but it took us a while to figure out.)

Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez

Reaction score
Are you using your server as a workstation as well? ... sounds more like a network/system problem more than an application problem. How many PCs do you have in your lab? What are the specs on your "server" Have you swap your network switch. Lastly, I have seen issues like this due to network loops. Double-check your network cables and eliminate additional network switches at the office. Quite often I see people buying a small network switch to split the network connection rather than running a drop straight to the main switch. Disable IPV6 on your computers and ping your server for connectivity by IP address first and then by computer name. If pinging via IP address work and not by hostname. You have a network resolution problem in your network and makes it hard for the computer to reach the destination of other PC. I hope this helps. Good luck

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for faulty/damaged cabling to drop connection speed to 100 Mbps when the switch and NIC would support 1 Gbps.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
who is your reseller?

Also, swapping to another dongle is not a big issue - do you have extra dongles? why do you have to buy one? I assume if you have more than 1 scanner you have more than 1 dongle. Just pick that as the target dongle and transfer it over.

Although i agree with you that the dongle makes no sense in terms of lag. But also, when's the last time you had a cabling guy come (not CABLE guy - i mean a network cable guy) come and test your environment? Maybe your switchboard is faulty? maybe not all your wires are gigabit?

Do you have a visix diagram of your office / network management / ports/cables?

(I'll give you a crazy example - i had one section of CAD stations with a ridiculous amount of lag and we couldn't figure out why. It was about 2 months after we spent 250k on our new ASA / Phone System / Nimble Back Up. Turns out, the high voltage of our DMG 10 was causing interference for a portion of the network - and we rerouted those cables. Sounds wonky, but it took us a while to figure out.)

Our reseller is CAP.

We only have the one dongle right now that is actually working (No license on the other). The big issue with the dongle is that they said we would have to by another one/ license and set up our client as another server in an attempt to fix the problem. It's not a huge deal but it just seems odd given that it should work as is.

Cable management here is really not up to par. I know all the Ethernet cables are good and undamaged (from what I can tell,) but a massive amount of power cables sits right next to the Ethernet cables. Both computers though have good internet connection and can transfer and download very large files rather quickly, that's the only reason I thought that the power cords wouldn't really be causing it. Because the only network problems we have are with 3Shape.

M

MichaelB

Reaction score
Are you using your server as a workstation as well? ... sounds more like a network/system problem more than an application problem. How many PCs do you have in your lab? What are the specs on your "server" Have you swap your network switch. Lastly, I have seen issues like this due to network loops. Double-check your network cables and eliminate additional network switches at the office. Quite often I see people buying a small network switch to split the network connection rather than running a drop straight to the main switch. Disable IPV6 on your computers and ping your server for connectivity by IP address first and then by computer name. If pinging via IP address work and not by hostname. You have a network resolution problem in your network and makes it hard for the computer to reach the destination of other PC. I hope this helps. Good luck

We have 4 switches that come after our router just because we have multiple Computers in each room and multiple rooms. The client and the server Pcs are connected on the same switch right next to each other. Could all the other switches still cause a problem?

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
We have 4 switches that come after our router just because we have multiple Computers in each room and multiple rooms. The client and the server Pcs are connected on the same switch right next to each other. Could all the other switches still cause a problem?

I think some of the dislike of multiple switches comes from The Olden Days of network hubs, which blindly repeat all traffic, causing unnecessary congestion. Switches do not work in this manner. Another is that you often encounter setups where you have proper gigabit central switch which has been supplemented by a cheap 10/100 4 port switch by the wall outlet, rendering the original setup pointless.

As long as the clients and server are in the same switch, there should be no issues coming from the setup itself.

Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez

Reaction score
Again, is always better to keep things clean rather than convoluted. Try to eliminate complexity from the network as much as possible for simple troubleshooting. I've done IT for many years. One thing we learn from the beginning is the term KISS. "Keep it Simple Stupid". Never assume that the problem is the application before verifying that your physical network is working fine. If any of your other switches have a loop, faulty cable, or not wired properly. It will send noise to the rest of the network. (We call it flooding) and this will degrade the speed of your network. Think of "flooding" as the switch trying to find a MAC address that it does not have in the CAM table. It sends the packet out all ports in an attempt to get the packet to its destination. So yes, even though the server and you're other station are connected to the same switch. It doesn't mean your connections are clean. That said, on a slow day, isolate this two PC and carry on for a while. If there are no problems then you have your answer. You can assume that this is not an issue and look somewhere else. Obviously, you can get a better network diagnostic if you had a network test like Fluke but they are very expensive. Call cable guy and have them test your network. Keep us posted