3shape Class Action

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Just wanting to know if any 3shape users have noticed the brand new update that came out yesterday 19.3, mainly how it forces "Full Contour" into your 3shape system in your main toolbar. I understand if we are connecting with a manufacturer and they add materials into our system the can place a portal on our toolbar it seems less intrusive. We have even put our own portals and links in the toolbar. But it being put there by 3shape automatically is downright disrespectful and dirty. I am sure Full Contour paid or should have paid a lot to 3shape for this to happen, and there are lab owners that just don't know CAD and rely on services from companies like that. But almost every dental lab in existence nowadays or that will survive half or more than half of the work is CAD now, and to directly put a competitor's AD in our face is by no means the right way to go no matter how much they lined your pockets.

So where is the AD for CAP, ARGEN,SUN,GLIDEWELL,DSG,US,....YOU. I think all labs that have 3shape should complain because this should piss you off and to the big manufacturers/companies that can go against another big company.... file a lawsuit, I guarantee you will get enough signatures from 3shape users in the matter.

To 3shape: maybe you have purchased Full Contour and have not disclosed it which changes things it but that in itself is whole other major issue too.

DanM

DanM

Reaction score
Its on the update for software provided for labs? How's that an issue? Last I checked FullContour is a design service and doesn't manufacture anything. I suppose if its attached to every TRIOS maybe you have a gripe but I don't see any issues with this. It would be like saying when I ask Straumann for an implant library they load my system up with their millable materials emax etc.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Didnt 3shape buy them? This would indicate to me they did,its final, and permanent.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is no different than Netscape Navigator putting Yahoo! on the toolbar.

If they made you use them, then you'd have an actionble gripe.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Not really, Netscape is free. you pay for 3Shape

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You agreed to the end user license terms. They can make what ever rules they want since you are essentially leasing the software.

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
It would be like saying when I ask Straumann for an implant library they load my system up with their millable materials emax etc.
Yes, i said that in my original post, you are requesting their services so you're giving them rights to sell to you. Not force-fed on something we pay a license for. Dont you think its a matter of time if not already doing it adding FC to the trios. We do work for a lot of Dr.s that have their own printers so we just design for them, if you're not then you're missing a big chunk of work, and it's only going to go up. If there getting force-fed a specific lab, don't you think you were just given a massive disadvantage from a company you're giving money too?

It's their product. They can do what they want.

Not sure if you speak for Whipmix but that sounds like your just taking it in the brown when you sell their product.

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean.
I know Whipmix doesn't have a "milling" or "printing" center, which the should. But to put you guys on the same plan what if they put GC, Kulzer, or other competitor front and center to your client when Whipmix is paying a license to sell 3shape products?

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
I know Whipmix doesn't have a "milling" or "printing" center, which the should. But to put you guys on the same plan what if they put GC, Kulzer, or other competitor front and center to your client when Whipmix is paying a license to sell 3shape products?
Ahh I see now.

Well, we do have a 3D Print Center. Would it suck if they put our competitor on there and not us? Well, yes. Would it give me (or Whip Mix) the right to sue them? Absolutely not. Private companies have the same freedom of association that you and I do. If 3Shape and Kulzer made some kind of financial agreement/contractual partnership, that doesn't mean I'm entitled to the same partnership. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but just because I don't like something a company does ,doesn't mean I get to sue them over it.

To put this in perspective, we just held a Digital Dentures course here at Whip Mix. Participants paid for the course. We partnered with Anaxdent for the characterization portion of the course. Is your position that GC should be able to sue Whip Mix because we partnered with AnaxDent instead of them? Any reasonable person obviously recognizes that this is ridiculous.

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Ahh I see now.

Well, we do have a 3D Print Center. Would it suck if they put our competitor on there and not us? Well, yes.

Would Whipmix still sell there product, push there product, or pay licensing fees to sell it if they didn't allow Whipmix to be on that list as well?

To put this in perspective, we just held a Digital Dentures course here at Whip Mix. Participants paid for the course. We partnered with Anaxdent for the characterization portion of the course. Is your position that GC should be able to sue Whip Mix because we partnered with AnaxDent instead of them? Any reasonable person obviously recognizes that this is ridiculous.

Was GC there attending your course and paying you a license to advertise them. Your point is not taken

F

FullPartial

Reaction score
If some of the cases we got back from FullContour is any indication, not really worried. Customer service is way more critical to keeping an office from sending out to a design service. Planning out bigger cases, working through challenging occlusions etc. So we’ve lost some of their single unit posteriors, all things being equal if it’s price then I don’t want it, I get the implant work/removable. Great. More $$$ per case for our lab.

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
I'm confused by your concern - and someone please correct me if I'm wrong - but I do not view Full Contour as a competitor to our (or any) lab - am I missing something? Can a dentist work directly with Full Contour to manufacture restorations?

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score
Would Whipmix still sell there product, push there product, or pay licensing fees to sell it if they didn't allow Whipmix to be on that list as well?

Was GC there attending your course and paying you a license to advertise them. Your point is not taken
I guess I don't understand what your issue with 3Shape is on this. You don't like that they include the option to outsource to Full Contour and not other companies? All resellers have a contract with 3Shape. Unless 3Shape is breaching the contract (which they aren't),then there is no case for a lawsuit.

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
Can a dentist work directly with Full Contour to manufacture restorations?
Yes they do them all day long, so does kulzer with there pala, etc.. etc..

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
I may have to bow out of this conversation as I'm just a fixed lab and from what I can see this must be a denture issue? I still do not see any advertisement at all via Full Contours website advertising to dentists to send direct for a completed product - and I've also never heard of anyone losing an account to FullContour. I guess my only advice would be is to remember the golden rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rules" - challenging a Goliath like 3Shape on anything is likely a misuse of resources.

It is important to remember that there are currently more than 200,000 practicing dentists in the United States and by my estimate only about 6500 labs that service more than 3 regular accounts -- Dental Technology has become more like golf - we she be playing against ourselves just as much (if not more) than we should be playing against our competitors.

DanM

DanM

Reaction score
Yes, i said that in my original post, you are requesting their services so you're giving them rights to sell to you. Not force-fed on something we pay a license for. Dont you think its a matter of time if not already doing it adding FC to the trios. We do work for a lot of Dr.s that have their own printers so we just design for them, if you're not then you're missing a big chunk of work, and it's only going to go up. If there getting force-fed a specific lab, don't you think you were just given a massive disadvantage from a company you're giving money too?

Not sure if you speak for Whipmix but that sounds like your just taking it in the brown when you sell their product.
You said in new update 19.3...Drs don't have dental manager as labs do. So a dr will never ever see that icon unless they have their own design software and in that case they would be designing their own.

Top Bottom