3Shape average crown design output?

D

DentalImplantGuru

Reaction score
Please note that not every crown design is a 2 minute crown. The original topic was if 40 designs in a day was adequate. My answer is simply a range from average to exceptional. If you are pleased with 40 designs per day and the quality/ delivery is as expected then maybe another tech is needed.

For reference: Here is a video of a 1-minute crown design which I agree that he could have spent another minute to check the color map and check the excursions.

Also, I also have seen tech's designs that took large amounts of time that are below par.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its difficult to pause and grab pics from that without being able to rotate myself, but there is nothing acceptable about what I see.
Emergence profile, esp mesial looks like an open embrasure. Lingual contour doesnt line up; not enough contour at the gingiva, too protrusive at the occlusal. Mesial marginal ridge, esp towards the buccal is missing.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I feel like such a looser, I wish I could do a two minute crown design.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
More power to you my dude. I don't want to speak for other people, but I'm pretty sure most of us can't consciously let one crown be milled after a 2 minute design. I can only question the level of competence that you have at your lab and the level of quality that your lab produces. I can't even put what you describe at mediocre work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Exceptional I'll accept. Guru level even....
I need to fix this. Most of the people here are rather exceptional. This would need to be someone on the 99.991%+ end of the bell curve to have something that's going to be better than a Cerac autoguess crown from the local 'crown in a day' high net worth dentist to get a crown in 2 minutes.

I really really want to see one of these.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
back in the day a 2minute crown was Mr Delorean's level of quality and he put out a video showing one of his techs doing such a crown.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Please note that not every crown design is a 2 minute crown. The original topic was if 40 designs in a day was adequate. My answer is simply a range from average to exceptional. If you are pleased with 40 designs per day and the quality/ delivery is as expected then maybe another tech is needed.

For reference: Here is a video of a 1-minute crown design which I agree that he could have spent another minute to check the color map and check the excursions.

Also, I also have seen tech's designs that took large amounts of time that are below par.

I would guess this crown design would work best with the " 90 Second Crown Preparation" is that correct?

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
2 minutes and maybe a few seconds more, but yes!! I did it!!! Doc said it only took 5 minutes to seat...spot on!
If I had 3Shape I might have saved those extra few seconds, damn you ExoCad!

Last edited:
A

A. M.

Reaction score
I would love to ask that "amazing" production manager who asks for 75 units a day, to show me how it's done...
My old boss used to say the same (not 75 units),and he showed me how to design in 3 minutes... (it was ****) and the ceramist wanted to cry when saw it... but because he was the boss, he could do it. And his mindset was "the ceramist will fix it". His perfect coping or crown got re-designed and re-milled, but he was too ignorant to see that he lost money...
I think people who design would agree... can you design in 1 minute or 2? Yes!
Would you send it to the dr? Probably not...
Some cases are easier, but never mind the crap implant cases when the dr f * up and expects miracle...
But I've met people who can do anything and everything as they say ... but when you see it, you wonder how do they have a job...

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
Yup, unhappy ceramist = unhappy doctor.
What lab owners or managers don't realize is that the ceramists and the cad techs are like 🤞. Ceramists need to constantly work together with cad techs and instruct them on their designs or rather what they'd like to see in the designs. It's all about consistency and communication in the workspace.

N

Nimble

Reaction score
I am new to the digital and just stumble upon this topic found very interesting.
I am in my 50s. Recently got lay-off. Most of lab are looking to CAD technician., not me.
Luckily, I found the lab willing to train me for CAD. I am now learning from a person who was not dental technician, but had good computer skill so became CAD designer from a front deck at this lab. Designs all day and also watches video at the bench and just have started leaning CAD. I understand that the the industry has changed and we must adopt this change if you want to survive but this is a sad story for people who still believe in the craftmanship. I would like to focus each case with intention doing my best and that energy will make difference to the final product which will set in to someone's mouth as a part of their body.....Now I sound really old!
Still not giving up yet though, trying to accept the change and also to close my heart.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well, Good luck Nimble! you'll need it!

in the digital space, it is very hard to demonstrate exceptional knowledge, because for the most part the only metric people go by is the final product presentation.

in the analog space it is a process people can enjoy watching and teaching and doing. in the digital space its a lot of messy data manipulation.

if you do a good design, post it up!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I am new to the digital and just stumble upon this topic found very interesting.
I am in my 50s. Recently got lay-off. Most of lab are looking to CAD technician., not me.
Luckily, I found the lab willing to train me for CAD. I am now learning from a person who was not dental technician, but had good computer skill so became CAD designer from a front deck at this lab. Designs all day and also watches video at the bench and just have started leaning CAD. I understand that the the industry has changed and we must adopt this change if you want to survive but this is a sad story for people who still believe in the craftmanship. I would like to focus each case with intention doing my best and that energy will make difference to the final product which will set in to someone's mouth as a part of their body.....Now I sound really old!
Still not giving up yet though, trying to accept the change and also to close my heart.
Wish you the best for sure!! Just remember at every stage to imply your BASIC knowledge ( of which I'm sure you have plenty) into all things that present to you on screen. Please remember to check from ALL available views as so often, things can come out quite different in hand. Peter Pizzi, for example, still works with a wax up instead for form and accuracy. What looks great on a 2D screen can often present some real surprises in hand. $tf?

N

Nimble

Reaction score
🙏Thank you CoolHandLuke and Sda36.
Your words encourage me!
🤗

MrMolar

MrMolar

Reaction score
just curious if a picture of the 2min crown was ever posted. because I want to see that hot garbo too.

when I started, even with a background in CAD, it was taking about 13 minutes per crown to get a good design that I was happy with. now I take my time to make sure the crown is perfect, looks gorgeous and will drop right in with little to no adjustments in the patients mouth. and it still takes me about 10 minutes. just curious why everyone thinks that the faster the crown is designed, the faster you get paid. hard to get paid when your accounts leave to go to a lab that spends an extra 8 minutes to make sure your crown is perfect.

Good luck with your adventure @Nimble! it's a whole lot of fun, but a very steep learning curve. if you know the basics, you'll pick it up in a heart beat!

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
oh my gosh what a painful thread to read through. It highlights so well the problems the industry is facing. Where do people get some of the insane unit count ideas?

I'm glad to see that it seems most of the regulars around here have arrived at reasonable 10 mins a unit average but some of these numbers (50-200 a day?!) are insane.

I also feel it needs to be noted for the crazies out there that 10 mins a unit also doesn't mean a constant rate all day without pause for a drink or break. Design work is custom work that takes time and care to do well.

@Nimble , you can still be a craftsman with digital, hopefully you are in a lab that will allow you the time to do so. Make sure you develop a good design workflow, that will give you the time to dial in the details. Always check the physical product against your design on the screen if anything is wrong, this will help you learn your blindspots when you are designing

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Some lab owners have a good reputation, some have a lamborghini, very few have both. Who wants to work in a sweatshop in the 21st century? 200 units a day is a job for a robot.