3Shape average crown design output?

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Holy sh[t. I think I just got carpal tunnel just reading those numbers. Been a ceramist for 42 years. Im probobly just picky or have to maney quirks that I like..work alone for last 20 years but prior to that was building up 20 a day and grinding in another 30. I dont care to return to that sort of production at anything. When I design, about 10 to 15 min. For scan and design a single.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Holy sh[t. I think I just got carpal tunnel just reading those numbers. Been a ceramist for 42 years. Im probobly just picky or have to maney quirks that I like..work alone for last 20 years but prior to that was building up 20 a day and grinding in another 30. I dont care to return to that sort of production at anything. When I design, about 10 to 15 min. For scan and design a single.
I'm with you.Staring at a fricken screen all day. No wonder These millennial s are suicidal.

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score

Yeah well I'm trying to tell them I think averaging 10 minute per unit design is good. With 8 hours that would put you around 48 units. We have 2 main designers that only do CAD design. I dont expect more than 100 a day from them. I honestly think getting 40 to 45 from each of them is reasonable. I think my production manager is insane to say that other designers can do 75.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
Yeah to be honest, if your guys are artistic and have good eye hand coordination, it shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes for a single crown. Watch your guys to see if they use both the keyboard and mouse when they design. If they don’t, get them to learn the short keys. It’ll cut down a lot of time than just using the mouse. If it takes longer than 10 minutes per crown, it better be a tough case to do. Either ways after being milled, there has to be some adjustments and touch ups to the crowns as long as it’s not major adjustments.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im sorry to put it this way but youre job is the gateway to slavery. Consider yourself stepping down into a 3rd world hierarchy if youre being pushed to do that much work, even if it pays well, which I can only imagine it doesnt. Taking pride in your job is different than scurrying to complete a quota to make someone else wealthy.. there are a lot of labs that would not treat you like a human not a robot, but this is the way were going..
Suicidal is about right, think about yourself, your 'production' manager doesnt give a chit about you.. youd probably make more money doing telemarketing and not have to use a mouse or stare at a screen as much.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
At the very least get some anti-glare blue block glasses.

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
At the very least get some anti-glare blue block glasses.
Oh I wear those glasses haha. I luckily have the support of the other managers in the lab. He is new to the production manager position and I have no clue where he gets that 75 a day quota. I straight up tell him that he isnt ever going to get 75 from one of my designers in a single day. I care about the product way too much. That's why I'm here to help show the other managers I know what I'm talking about. I know what my designers should be doing to output the maximum they can while still ensuring that the product quality isnt sacrificed.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Did I just read someone gets back 2 a week? If I get one a year back Id be pissed. I budget 15 minutes for scan/design for singles. Ive seen work done by faster techs. Id say they need to learn form and anatomy better.
It takes 12 minutes to scan a single unit case for me. Medit hybrid. And another 20 minutes to design that single crown. Exocad.

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
It takes 12 minutes to scan a single unit case for me. Medit hybrid. And another 20 minutes to design that single crown. Exocad.

We have 1 tech scanning only on a 3shape D2000. Then I have two full time designers and I help where I can. I'm the team lead. I think 10 minutes a design is a good average. Some take less and some take more. That's why if my designers can get anywhere from 40 to 50 a day then I'm satisfied. I think if they start to design over 50 I'm gonna question the quality.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I count on 15 minutes to scan and design when booking my work in. YThats for single units. I allow abit more 20 -25 min per unit for bridge frameworks.
Somes time I am quicker , sometimes slower.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I try to design and mill a minimum of 5 a day, give or take.. rather than sit and do the whole weeks designs at one sitting.

D

DentalImplantGuru

Reaction score
On the low end 50 units is decent, on the high end but possible is 200 units a day. Quality still has to be a priority and our techs must retain less than 5% rejects per day.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I’m not scanning crowns and I’m a removable lab but I don’t think I would sustain the business with 5% rejects. Even if they were internal rejects. I assume the reject wouldn’t be caught until after it went through a QC process before leaving? Doesn’t that involve at least finishing labor?

D

DentalImplantGuru

Reaction score
If you do the math of the matter: If a tech is getting paid 2.00 a unit and to make minimum wage at an average of 10.00 per hour, he would have to design 5 units per hour to make said wage. Which in turn in an 8 hour day he would design 40 units in that day. Do your techs work for minimum wage?

Yes there will be rejects but keeping them internally, preferably at the next stop through the lab.

Yes a single crown can be design with an exceptional tech in 2 mins.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you do the math of the matter: If a tech is getting paid 2.00 a unit and to make minimum wage at an average of 10.00 per hour, he would have to design 5 units per hour to make said wage. Which in turn in an 8 hour day he would design 40 units in that day. Do your techs work for minimum wage?

Yes there will be rejects but keeping them internally, preferably at the next stop through the lab.

Exceptional I'll accept. Guru level even....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@DentalImplantGuru I'd like to see some of these 2 minute crowns. How much time is spent in the porcelain dept on each one?

user name

user name

Reaction score
B.S.
Im good. I know form, function, etc. If youre banging something out in a matter of a couple minutes, theres no way youre using the color-distance map. Youre just 'adapt to', and thats crap. Its no wonder with that level of quality and lack of passion for perfection that things go down hill.
Auto placement of margins isnt adequate. It must be zoomed in and adjusted on every crown at the end of your design.
Centric stops; not in contact, but functionally 'there'.
Function in excursions. No one wants to be grinding crowns, but the design must be there, dropped just out of occlusion. Not something that looks like a tooth but with negative occlusion. We're not just filling spaces.

Dr. Peter Dawson doesnt teach, 'just click here. Wow. Youre a skilled tech'.

If its not youre best, its not good enough; For some people, their best isnt good enough.