3Shape average crown design output?

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
If we had someone only able to do 30 a day we would put them back into training or find another area they could do better in.

Yeah I feel that 30-40 should be fine in an 8 hour work day. Now going up into 50 and more I believe there will be less quality. I feel an average 10 minute design is fair, seeing that some take longer and some take less time. My lead designer can do 30 guaranteed but my higher ups want her to get faster and output 50+. I'm telling them that is unrealistic.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Did I just read someone gets back 2 a week? If I get one a year back Id be pissed. I budget 15 minutes for scan/design for singles. Ive seen work done by faster techs. Id say they need to learn form and anatomy better.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Yeah I feel that 30-40 should be fine in an 8 hour work day. Now going up into 50 and more I believe there will be less quality. I feel an average 10 minute design is fair, seeing that some take longer and some take less time. My lead designer can do 30 guaranteed but my higher ups want her to get faster and output 50+. I'm telling them that is unrealistic.

I would like to ask a couple questions:
1. How many You do a day?
2. How many "your higher ups" do a day?
3. Is that poor woman allowed to go to the washroom, or anything else?

I like that no matter how many crowns a good designer (who is fast and the design is good) do a day, it is never enough... maybe hire more good designers?!

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
Did I just read someone gets back 2 a week? If I get one a year back Id be pissed. I budget 15 minutes for scan/design for singles. Ive seen work done by faster techs. Id say they need to learn form and anatomy better.

You only get 1 a year back from quality control?!?! We don't get 2 a week back from the doctors. I'm saying I might get 2 a week back from quality control that need some improvements before we send it out to an office.

user name

user name

Reaction score
You only get 1 a year back from quality control?!?! We don't get 2 a week back from the doctors. I'm saying I might get 2 a week back from quality control that need some improvements before we send it out to an office.
I am designer and QC.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Even a rat in a cage knows that they can get more cheese if they only push the lever faster. Not everyone is motivated by chee$e.. lest ye be a rat.. in a cage.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
You guys make me laugh

Fact is if you are good at something you can do it well, AND do it quickly, not because you are rushing and spastic, but because you do not waste time and take unnecessary steps like a novice does.

If you cannot do basic units quickly, you need more training,better tools or better motivation.

If it’s a hobby not a business, and you like playing with stuff for extended periods of time that’s your choice, but that doesn’t mean it takes that long, it means it takes YOU that long.

If it takes someone 10-15 minutes to design a simple single then I figure they don’t know how or don’t care to do better. If it’s a learning problem I’m happy to help them grow! If they don’t care then they don’t fit in our organization, cuz we foster a culture of improvement and growth.

I grow tired of seeing 20 year veterans who don’t have 20 years experience - they have 1 year experience repeated 20 times. People should be eager to improve, not telling others who grow and improve that they are “doing it wrong” because they get more efficient.

I don’t pay someone for how long they have been doing something, I pay for how good they are at doing it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
thats a simplistic view Jason. you know better than most here that your designer can do units that please themselves, but don't work in the real world. you can design beautiful incisal edges for anteriors - but unless the lab is not in the business of porcelain its a waste of time. ceramists do not follow designs, they make their own.

its naive to think what comes out of the design station matches the unit as finished by the ceramist. never the case. never the case even for Gold.

so you either waste time making perfect design for nothing, and are super awesome full contour designer that nobody will employ, or you make copings nobody thinks twice about.

if you (the general you, not you specifically Jason) as a lab are fussing over single premolar and molar full contours, you need serious manufacturing lessons.

its not realistic to claim design is so easy you can do 6 per hour without taking 5 minutes per hour on the phone or in active conversation about case problems like bad bites, bad margins, mismatching implant compatibilites, and lacking spaces.

not every case is perfect. not every case can be perfect. we know by experience every doctor has issues with impressions and bites. every single one.

and again even if you did sit down and pump out that many units per day the sound of handpieces would be deafening.

Design is not a department many deem worthy to stand on its own legs. 10 minutes of design, if complemented by 1 more minute could save 6 hrs handpiece grinding. it sounds like this might be the case for mr Blackhawk.

A

adl

Reaction score
You guys make me laugh

Fact is if you are good at something you can do it well, AND do it quickly, not because you are rushing and spastic, but because you do not waste time and take unnecessary steps like a novice does.

If you cannot do basic units quickly, you need more training,better tools or better motivation.

If it’s a hobby not a business, and you like playing with stuff for extended periods of time that’s your choice, but that doesn’t mean it takes that long, it means it takes YOU that long.

If it takes someone 10-15 minutes to design a simple single then I figure they don’t know how or don’t care to do better. If it’s a learning problem I’m happy to help them grow! If they don’t care then they don’t fit in our organization, cuz we foster a culture of improvement and growth.

I grow tired of seeing 20 year veterans who don’t have 20 years experience - they have 1 year experience repeated 20 times. People should be eager to improve, not telling others who grow and improve that they are “doing it wrong” because they get more efficient.

I don’t pay someone for how long they have been doing something, I pay for how good they are at doing it.
I believe Bob was talking about entering all the info for the case, scan and design in 10-15 min.No?

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what has been mentioned so far. 10 minutes a unit is a good average. Some will take you 6-7 minutes (slam dunks),some will take 13-14 minutes (fighting form/function/esthetics with handcuffs like bulky preps/lack of room ect ) . 50 a day is a pretty fast pace that can use up mental energy quick. I couldn't go back to that again, I'm a burnout now

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
As a hobbyist, I think Im starting to get the hang of this business thing.. I calculated that by utilizing catheters to eliminate bathroom breaks, IV nutrients to eliminate lunch or snack breaks.. add a sun lamp and the design rat wont even know its inside all day. Altogether I think I can boost production 4.6%.. Gotta climb that ladder like Bezos.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you may joke but there are legitimate firms out there that do the research into making you spend extra couple milliseconds looking at apps and ads. careers are made and fail on these tricks.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
you may joke but there are legitimate firms out there that do the research into making you spend extra couple milliseconds looking at apps and ads. careers are made and fail on these tricks.
Affinity wasn't joking. He was being sarcastic.
He is banned from the Tonite show too.

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
I want to revisit this topic. Its been over a year and I was new to the dental lab world then and now that I have a little experience I want some other techs to provide their opinion on the matter. My new production manager expects a 3shape CAD designer should be able to design 75 units in a 8 hour work day. Is this possible? How many would you expect a good designer to do in a 8 hour day? I'm trying to prove a point so I need some input from others in the industry.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
8 hours with no breaks is 480 minutes.

75 units is 6.4 minutes per unit.

You sir, are in a lab that is producing sh!t. Period.

I work by myself. 6 to 8 units a day would (does) produce a very nice income.

Get the heck out of there.

SJ

SJ

Reaction score
Ask the new production manager if he could produce 75 units per work day with each design being immaculate. That's just low quality work selling single crowns for $40

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I can't do 75 of anything in a day.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have been designing for like 8-10 years. Started with Dental Wings and now use 3Shape. I wanted to see how many single units I could do in an 8 hour day. I did 40. These were single unit posteriors, so pretty easy. I consider that rate barely sustainable. 25-30 posterior units a day seems reasonable. I design all our implant, bridge and anterior cases now. Basically I get all the complicated cases. I get stressed when they schedule me more than about 16 units of these type cases a day. I would add I have many other responsibilities in my lab also. If I was just designing complicated cases, 20 units would be a decent amount in a 8 hour day.