3shape AND dwos... play nice?

A

Adam Petsche

Reaction score
First time posting here, hello everyone!

i was searching through to find some answers and yet to come across a similar situation. im sure you get the "which is better?" or "my software is best". This is NOT the case for this post.

We have had DWOS for quiet a few years with our lava milling machine and VHF mill paired with our DW-3 and DW-7 scanners. they work great FOR US. we have tried a few other scanners out (straumann scanner and lava scanner, both dwos based desgin). but using the 3 and 7 have worked best for us.

we are looking into time saving and file sharing options, with the new 3shape D2000. we are curious how well it will integrate into our current set up of "lava" desgin, dwos3 and dwos7 "straumann" design.

Will the 3shape scans be easily exported into dwos (and vice versa) by simply exporting and importing the file? WITHOUT having to rescan, or without having to save scan faces and/or creating new jobs within each software to get them to 'transfer'?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Why not an open scanner like DOF or Medit?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
its not going to be easy. any 3shape reseller won't be able to support you, and DWOS guys will be clueless.

i would advise getting an Open scanner instead of a closed one. i hear good things about Medit.

A

Adam Petsche

Reaction score
Why not an open scanner like DOF or Medit?

i wouldn't mind trying one of those out. but that decision is not up to me. we've come across a great deal on the d2000 and i think my colleagues are looking to expand our capabilities beyond dwos and into the 3shape world to determine if we should do a full switch over and get away from 3shape with the chatter of "its better, its better, its faster". (but why fix something that isn't broke?)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
i wouldn't mind trying one of those out. but that decision is not up to me. we've come across a great deal on the d2000 and i think my colleagues are looking to expand our capabilities beyond dwos and into the 3shape world to determine if we should do a full switch over and get away from 3shape with the chatter of "its better, its better, its faster". (but why fix something that isn't broke?)
I am not that familiar with DWOS, but if it can import open stl files I don't know why you would want to mess with 3Shape for the reasons Luke mentioned. If you want to try out 3Shape or any other CAD software, see about visiting a local lab that is using it already and see if you can sit in for a few hours.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah thats a good idea 2th.

but really Open would be the idea all-around way to build a future-proof system. if you dive in with 3shape you are in for a nickel in for a pound. and while the cost is higher than others it offers a very small degree of openness.

what you would want is a scanner, software, and mill/printer that are all open. this way when one part of the chain breaks down - and it will - you can easily continue working. Open scanner is plug-and-play. open software means patches are easy to find, and open milling and printing again means plug and play. it is quite easy to get loaners.

with 3shape youve got to buy the scanner with the software, and sales people will not be happy that you don't want one or the other.

there is no 'just the scanner' portion of it either, 3shape resellers love to lump in the designer, the implant modules, the partials, because without them you can't scan those cases. can't scan the implants without the implant suite. can't do partials without the partials suite.

so your arms are going to be twisted from the get-go.

but if you went Open to begin with you can just add those as you go.

A

Adam Petsche

Reaction score
ok. may have to sway some minds here with these ideas. we are pretty deep into dwos. and again, it works great for us. were looking for more/faster scanning power. without buying another dwos scanner and without having to scan into 3shape, save scan faces, create new orders in dwos and design (or vice versa).

we have some interest with 3shape for the obvious reasons, everyone, claims it is the "bees-knees" and make dwos look under-powered (from word of mouth). but yet to really talk to someone who has extensive experience with BOTH softwares/scanners to give us an actual side by side comparison, with actual work involved with both. and/or how they interact with eachother.

i suppose before the bossman pulls the trigger, i think we should do some more research on some open scanners to see how well it'll integrate into our work flow currently or potentially improve it. any other suggestions, im all open ears! thank you Luke and 2th for the advice!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i'm probably one of the oldest users of 3shape here ive been working it since 2007. there are very few aspects of it i don't know much about. if you have any specific 3shape questions let me know and i will answer.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
I do not totally agree with you CoolHandLuke,
Open scanner, open software and open milling machine is not the best way to go for everyone.
First Open scanner mean having Exocad, seriously there only 3 software company left that worth talking about 3shape, Exocad and DWOS and they are in order of quality IMHO.

Having 3shape is like having an Iphone vs an Android. Yes you pay more, yes you are "lock" in their world and need to pay them again and again for upgrade or extension but there is 1 phone number to solve all your problem and if you do business with a very good 3shape reseller you will get good and fast service.

If you get in the "android" world of dental cad-cam (read EXOCAD) you can do more for your money but you will need to be better in computer to play around and get things done.
But if in the "chain" something break (software, scanner or machine) you have to find what is the problem and sometime it will be a struggle between vendors claiming it not their fault it the one of the other part of the chain.

Also to be honest the fact that Exocad is now working with Nobel Biocare it probably mean that a big part of their developing forces is now dedicated to make Nobel Happy (and let me tell you that is an IMPOSSIBLE TASK)
knowing already that exocad is a smaller business then 3shape it mean less people to work on new features.

On the other side 3shape have a much stronger and bigger team to bring new stuff to the market.

If someone call me and ask me which system they should use I always says 3Shape don't even waste your time on other system.

Now for the OP, forget compatibility between DWOS and 3SHAPE. You will do something don't get me wrong but it wont work easily.
You are better to run an independent workflow for each technology. Both will get to your lava machine without problem but don't mix a 3shape file into DWOS system and other way around. it never plug 'n' play.

The algorithm used from a 3shape scanner is taken in consideration into 3shape software to make the outcome of high quality. Same for DWOS but if you use one file from one system to the other one you are loosing details.
Exocad to succeed in this world had to try (I presume they did that) every 3rd party scanner to figure out how they output their data to get the best out of it. Obviously an STL file is an STL file some basic stay the same but not everything.

I can tell you, when i get a file from an 3shape or dwos or exocad system from the same case there is huge difference to mill it to get the exact same outcome, it need a lot of configuration to get there and if someone claim they did the same test and didn't see any problem or difference i will ask them :What have you use to validate what you say? The same scanner that you scan the original case first?

Hope this help you.

Last point : Prepare yourself for an exit with DWOS, they spend way too much time and energy into their intra-oral scanner (that is not even able to do full arch yet) and in their "clinic laser milling machine" that is not out because they cannot mill enough material yet to continue working on their software.

My guess in 5 years only 2 major software will still be there : 3Shape and Exocad

A

Andy S

Reaction score
We run mostly 3shape and have 2 dwos/dw-7 scanners. You just need to have your reseller enable stl export on your 3shape setup and then just import the stls into dwos. The problem is going from dwos to 3shape, you need to pay for the "all scans" add on for 3 shape which is pretty expensive.